New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you trust a 2000 SS on its 3rd motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would you trust a 2000 SS on its 3rd motor?

All,

I have looked at a black 2000 SS with the following:

LS6 shortblock from a Z06 going to a Lingenfelter stroker
stock LS1 heads, cam, intake, etc.
Spec 4 clutch (holds like you would not believe)
rebuilt t-56 (parts from D&D)
newer rearend when the 2nd motor cracked the block (stock out of a 2001)
weld in SFC
drop springs
brand new 315s in the back and new 275s up front.

BTW, all the work was done by a retired United jet engine mechanic, and this is his 3rd or 4th LS1 swap.

The car has 55k on the frame and a TON of passes (for you bay area guys, it was Black Magic's old car), but the motor feels strong, and the tranny is notchy, like a a new one should be, shifts into all gears fine. The only issue I have is driving that spec 4 clutch on a daily basis is going to be a bitch, but I can live with that.

The guy is asking 20k including another LS1 block with a broken head bolt in the block. I was going to have the car checked out by a local speed shop and then try to talk him down a few grand.

A few questions for you gurus: Would you purchase a f-body frame that has really been flogged for 3 years? Do they potato chip like older cars when you are running them deep in the 11s? What would you think is a fair price for the car?

Thanks for the advice!

-Jason
Old 05-14-2003, 10:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: Would you trust a 2000 SS on its 3rd motor?

My Formula had over 2,000 passes and 83K miles on it when I sold it. It felt tighter than quite a few other 4th gens I've driven with less miles. I give most of the credit to the subframe connectors that went on the car when it was only 3 weeks old. My previous 96 Mustang GT had more squeaks and rattles at 40K miles than the Formula did, and it wasn't raced (too slow).

Take it for a test drive, if it sounds like a loose rattle trap I'd probably not like it.

Tony