Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

---S2000 owner wanting to switch over. few questions plz---

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ---S2000 owner wanting to switch over. few questions plz---

Hey all, my name is John. Im new to the vette sceen but definately not to the car modding sceen. iv spent lots of hours looking at forums and FAQ's on ls1s. I currently own a 12 second cavalier (aiming for 11s next year as its tuned on 26psi.) and a widebody s2000. Iv been thinking about it constantly for awhile now as far as selling the s2000 for a ls1 vette

heres a link to my car profile and youtube. (i know its proper to post pics/video when your new to the site)

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jhorwath86

http://youtube.com/jhor86

Now since thats out of the way. I need everyones help

I want the 97-04 due to cost and the non z06 due to cost and insurence.
cost. everyone seems to push for the 01 and newer due to all the lil problems beign fixed

HC/Fast 90/90 are all on the 1st thing list so wether its an ls1/ls6, it wont really matter. 97-01 vettes are going for <20k in my area. must be an m6 and not a vert

now onto the questions

What does everyone use for tuning? hpt and efi live seem to be the most answers. is the hypertech good?

How much did you pay for your vette? model, options

I know on fbodys the motor has to come out from the bottom due to it sitting farther back. Is this the same in the vette? it looks like it sits further up and can come out of the top like a normal car.

SAFE Limits on the ls1 internals? max rpm seems to be around 6k from what iv red. is that correct? also what kind of power can the bottom ends take? 500rwhp seems to be safe. how much before a better bottom end is needed?
iv seen a few people claim 600whp and more on stock ls1s. and iv also seen that people say anything over 500whp and it should be forged.
that seems like a huge load of **** since most lsx with h/c/ fast 90/90 and all the basic bolt ons. make anywhere from 450-500whp. and a supercharger on say 8psi cant be that much of a load on it? that would make well over 600whp.
i mean heads just make the thing breath better. its not like its putting a huge stress on anything. a blower and heads alone would net well over 500rwhp. 6-8psi cant be THAT much stressfull on a LS1 can it?

a LSX car is my dream car. i wanted a Fbody, but now that i have a good job and i can sell that s2000, (cavalier would go too )and a vette is finally within my reach. Im just affraid of buying a vette because of the exotic name and not being able to fix it or work on it or is ist just like any other late model gm and the name scares people?

on a side note. aftermarket engine parts dont really seem that expensive from what iv seen. 200hp from a AFR head/cam package for <3k is pretty good. considering its just letting it breath more and not really work that much harder.

any small things i should look for when buying one?

My goal with the car is 500-550rwhp but id like to say on a stock bottom end without worring about it being a ticking bomb. I know the afr 205 heads is suggested on the ls1 and the 225 on bigger setups. but would a 225 work well on a ls1 with 6-8psi? Heads and boost SHOULD net me my goal and still keep the cost<10k

Thanks for taking the time to look and i hope to be joining the family soon
Old 12-20-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Resident

for most of the questions you have can be found under the stickies in the specific forums...imho get the corvette and drive it like that...the power over a s2000 will be quite a lot...putting 500+hp with 450+torque is a lot on a stock bottom end..it won't last long..not to mention having to upgrade the transmission/rear end...start the way most ppl will suggest, bolt ons-tune..then heads and cam-tune..then see how you like it at..just my .02
Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keeping your goal into consideration, the person you'd definitely need to talk to, who has a wealth of knowledge is Bob from Exotic Performance Plus, his sn is ExoticPerformancePlus and he usually hangs out in the Forced Induction section of the forum. Below is a link to some cars he and his boys have worked on, hope this helps...

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/projectCars.php
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Addict

I must say, that is possibly the most well written, informed first post I have ever seen on this site.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the LS1 is a very stout engine, a huge aftermarket for it, and can push from big power. 500rwhp is about the limit for a stock bottom end. some go further, some dont make it that far.

a ls1 with good springs retainers locks n all that can spin over 7,000 a lotof people on here with the MS3 & 4 cams shift at 7200 with a stock bottom end
Old 12-20-2007, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

I went from a 2001 S2000 to a 2002 Corvette Z06. The Z06 was amazing and I should have never sold it for the Exige. BUT I did...I will tell you that I saw a 02 or 03 Z06 at Carmax for like 26k. It was black too.

The S2000 was a fun but the power difference in the Z06 was insane..I know you said you didn't want the Z06 for insurance reasons...but trust me...the Z06 is just another beast...worth the extra money.

What part of Oregon are you in? I was in Bend for a few years...I miss that place.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Launching!

i have a 99 FRC (hardtop)

if you are gonna pick up something thats not a Z06, i would say to find a 99-00 FRC

i'm assuming you are gonna race it?

i picked mine up with 27k mile on it for 22k in august. absolutely mint.

PM me if you have any questions
Old 12-20-2007, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

so many questions, but I'm happy to save you from the import world.

Any year LS1 engine has the same potential.

500 rwhp can be had with a cam, headers, and supercharger. I wouldn't push it past 500 rwhp, especially if the engine has a lot of miles on it. Mostly due to ring wear.

Good choice on the 6-speed. Auto Corvettes are for women.

An f-body engine comes out from the top just fine. Corvettes too. Some people just prefer to drop the f-body engine out from the bottom, it is just a preference.

These cars and engines are simple to work on.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Sig worthy!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

I know you want to save a bit on insurance but, why dump all that money into a Corvette when you could by the Z06 for around the same price and have a somewhat better platform?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by waldershrek
I must say, that is possibly the most well written, informed first post I have ever seen on this site.
im about to drop a good amount of coin on this and its my dream car. looking to gain as much knowledge as possible. besides. not point in half assing right

Originally Posted by Tainted
the LS1 is a very stout engine, a huge aftermarket for it, and can push from big power. 500rwhp is about the limit for a stock bottom end. some go further, some dont make it that far.

a ls1 with good springs retainers locks n all that can spin over 7,000 a lotof people on here with the MS3 & 4 cams shift at 7200 with a stock bottom end
its gm flagship motor so i figured it had to be pretty well designed and built. you guys are extremely lucky having a huge aftermarket to choose from. really helps with the price. and have a motor respond soo well to mods. An aftermarket TODA HEADER for the s2k is around 1200. gains about 8whp and maybe 4tq.
iv been on your forum and corvettefourm.com for awhile now just looking at posts. amazing that you can pick up 200hp from a set of afr heads and a nice cam.

Originally Posted by artist71
I went from a 2001 S2000 to a 2002 Corvette Z06. The Z06 was amazing and I should have never sold it for the Exige. BUT I did...I will tell you that I saw a 02 or 03 Z06 at Carmax for like 26k. It was black too.

The S2000 was a fun but the power difference in the Z06 was insane..I know you said you didn't want the Z06 for insurance reasons...but trust me...the Z06 is just another beast...worth the extra money.

What part of Oregon are you in? I was in Bend for a few years...I miss that place.
yeah i love the s2k. increadable car around the corners. engine pulls hard all the way up to 9000rpms with the 4.10s lack of torque and parts price is a huge downfall.
i got an insurence quote. full coverage on an 01 c5 for me (im 21 with 1 speeding ticket) was 150 a month. i didnt get the vin off a z06 1st for an insurence quote cuz i was affraid of cost.

I live close to eugene. bend is a lil over 2 hours depending on how heavy of a foot you have. OSP has chargers and arent really friendly.. and a plane that patrols I5 so you have to watch out.

Originally Posted by 86MonteSS
i have a 99 FRC (hardtop)

if you are gonna pick up something thats not a Z06, i would say to find a 99-00 FRC

i'm assuming you are gonna race it?

i picked mine up with 27k mile on it for 22k in august. absolutely mint.

PM me if you have any questions
i love the FRC/Zo6 style. but everyone iv talked to said spend the extra and get an 01+. im not gonna drag race it or beat the **** out of. but im definately not going to drive it like an old man. the afr 205 head/cam package really has caught my eye.

is the 225s really overkill on the ls1? i wouldnt mind a lil lose of low end for more top end power, but i dont wanna have a huge pain in the *** having it run like *** cuz the heads flow too much.

iv seen auto C5s for as low as 14.5k in my area. couple nice deals around 20k give or take a few. i just have to sell the s2k 1st. ill have more luck once spring hits. but vette costs might be up by then too

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
so many questions, but I'm happy to save you from the import world.

Any year LS1 engine has the same potential.

500 rwhp can be had with a cam, headers, and supercharger. I wouldn't push it past 500 rwhp, especially if the engine has a lot of miles on it. Mostly due to ring wear.

An f-body engine comes out from the top just fine. Corvettes too. Some people just prefer to drop the f-body engine out from the bottom, it is just a preference.

These cars and engines are simple to work on.
i was under the idea that changes were made in 01 and it used the ls6 block. stronger rod bolts. and the ring oil burn problem was fixed?

why would someone wanna drop it out the bottom? wouldnt that be a bigger pita?

i guess i just dont understand how it would be stressfull on the engine if it was making 500rwhp if it was N/A. heads just make it breath better.. its not like your adding f/i or an explosion from nitrous.

what exactly is the weak link at 500rwhp? example on my cavalier.. 300fwhp i blew the ringlands. so it went forged with a ferrea valvetrain. the rod bolts were fine though.
looking for the weak links now BEFORE the modding so i can prepare

thanks for the replys guys!
Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

The quote for me for a C5 and Z06 was about the same...like dollars difference...like maybe 10 dollars I think. And I had 3 speeding tickets at the time.
They told me cause the Corvette was in a certain class..and the Z06 was in that same class of rates.
The difference in the C5 and the Z06 is night and day. 12.5 quarter at 116 compared to 13 at like 109 is huge. Plus the suspencion is tighter it feels.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by veilside_s2k
im about to drop a good amount of coin on this and its my dream car. looking to gain as much knowledge as possible. besides. not point in half assing right

its gm flagship motor so i figured it had to be pretty well designed and built. you guys are extremely lucky having a huge aftermarket to choose from. really helps with the price. and have a motor respond soo well to mods. An aftermarket TODA HEADER for the s2k is around 1200. gains about 8whp and maybe 4tq.
iv been on your forum and corvettefourm.com for awhile now just looking at posts. amazing that you can pick up 200hp from a set of afr heads and a nice cam.

yeah i love the s2k. increadable car around the corners. engine pulls hard all the way up to 9000rpms with the 4.10s lack of torque and parts price is a huge downfall.
i got an insurence quote. full coverage on an 01 c5 for me (im 21 with 1 speeding ticket) was 150 a month. i didnt get the vin off a z06 1st for an insurence quote cuz i was affraid of cost.

I live close to eugene. bend is a lil over 2 hours depending on how heavy of a foot you have. OSP has chargers and arent really friendly.. and a plane that patrols I5 so you have to watch out.

i love the FRC/Zo6 style. but everyone iv talked to said spend the extra and get an 01+. im not gonna drag race it or beat the **** out of. but im definately not going to drive it like an old man. the afr 205 head/cam package really has caught my eye.

is the 225s really overkill on the ls1? i wouldnt mind a lil lose of low end for more top end power, but i dont wanna have a huge pain in the *** having it run like *** cuz the heads flow too much.

iv seen auto C5s for as low as 14.5k in my area. couple nice deals around 20k give or take a few. i just have to sell the s2k 1st. ill have more luck once spring hits. but vette costs might be up by then too

i was under the idea that changes were made in 01 and it used the ls6 block. stronger rod bolts. and the ring oil burn problem was fixed?

why would someone wanna drop it out the bottom? wouldnt that be a bigger pita?

i guess i just dont understand how it would be stressfull on the engine if it was making 500rwhp if it was N/A. heads just make it breath better.. its not like your adding f/i or an explosion from nitrous.

what exactly is the weak link at 500rwhp? example on my cavalier.. 300fwhp i blew the ringlands. so it went forged with a ferrea valvetrain. the rod bolts were fine though.
looking for the weak links now BEFORE the modding so i can prepare

thanks for the replys guys!
If u have seen a c5 in your area for 14,500 dollars & its in decent shape u better jump all over it, the weak link in the c5 is the rods & the pistons,doesnt mean u cant throw 500 ,600 rwhp to it ,i am doing it right now in my stock bottom end c5 & I know chriswtx made 620rwhp on his stock bottom end,so just because u hear of one motor shooting a rod out the side of the block @ 495rwhp doesnt mean they all will ,i paid 40k for my c5 & it had 10k miles on it in perfect condition & its a 2000,it just means u will have to upgrade to the hp parts thats all,not like u cant find a bigger massair meter ,the one in my 00 was a 75mm ,the 01 trucks6.0 ltr was an 85 mm , i picked one up for 160.00 brandnew from the dealer,theres deals allover the internet when it comes to c5 used parts,i just bought a 255ltr fuel pump that Lingenfelter wanted 350.00 for for 85.00 ,also i have seen a 2000 model Frc for 17k it had 70,000 miles on it ,thats the cheapest i have seen it was on corvetteforum om ,the verts add 4to 5 kto the price tag ,fwiw the 01 has had oil consumption issues
Old 12-20-2007, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

He needs to get a quote on a Z06 before he throws it out the window. It will be a better platform to start with. Suspension is better, motor is more powerfull off the bat..
Old 12-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by artist71
The quote for me for a C5 and Z06 was about the same...like dollars difference...like maybe 10 dollars I think. And I had 3 speeding tickets at the time.
They told me cause the Corvette was in a certain class..and the Z06 was in that same class of rates.
The difference in the C5 and the Z06 is night and day. 12.5 quarter at 116 compared to 13 at like 109 is huge. Plus the suspencion is tighter it feels.
hrmm maybe i will. but how can it be that much of a difference with 50hp? its all in the heads, cam and intake manifold isnt it? block and bottom end is the same in 01+ isnt it?

since those parts will be replaced with aftermarket ones, wouldnt it be better in MY situation to get the cheaper C5 and spend the money on afermarket rather then the z06 and replacing the only parts that are different? not trying to argue, im just curious.

what exactly is different in the suspension? spring/struts? sway bars?

Originally Posted by vette#3
If u have seen a c5 in your area for 14,500 dollars & its in decent shape u better jump all over it, the weak link in the c5 is the rods & the pistons,doesnt mean u cant throw 500 ,600 rwhp to it ,i am doing it right now in my stock bottom end c5 & I know chriswtx made 620rwhp on his stock bottom end,so just because u hear of one motor shooting a rod out the side of the block @ 495rwhp doesnt mean they all will ,i paid 40k for my c5 & it had 10k miles on it in perfect condition & its a 2000,it just means u will have to upgrade to the hp parts thats all,not like u cant find a bigger massair meter ,the one in my 00 was a 75mm ,the 01 trucks6.0 ltr was an 85 mm , i picked one up for 160.00 brandnew from the dealer,theres deals allover the internet when it comes to c5 used parts,i just bought a 255ltr fuel pump that Lingenfelter wanted 350.00 for for 85.00 ,also i have seen a 2000 model Frc for 17k it had 70,000 miles on it ,thats the cheapest i have seen it was on corvetteforum om ,the verts add 4to 5 kto the price tag ,fwiw the 01 has had oil consumption issues
the one for 14.5 was an auto and had 90k on it
i thought the rods and pistons were the same in the 01 c5 as the z06 and it was the top end that was different?

what power and mods are done to yours?

i know this is kinda a dumb question, but how many miles would be too many for a major mod like aftermarket heads or a cam? what year was the oil burning problem fixed?

another question. whats the bolt that backs out that everyone talks about when they do a cam upgrade? theres a known problem or something about the bolt not lining up?
Old 12-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pntbll309
I know you want to save a bit on insurance but, why dump all that money into a Corvette when you could by the Z06 for around the same price and have a somewhat better platform?

better yet why dump money into a vette when you can get a poor mans vette with the same engine and have all that money saved to put into the car camaro
Old 12-20-2007, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kw's01z28
better yet why dump money into a vette when you can get a poor mans vette with the same engine and have all that money saved to put into the car camaro
LOL I agree, but with a T/A instead

What part of Elpaso you from? I grew up there and went to Parkland mid/high.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

FWIW, nitrous does not cause an explosion, it's a controlled fast burn, just like forced induction or a built naturally aspirated motor. Nitromethane would be a different story, but oxygen from nitrous going through your engine is no more explosive than air pumped through a turbocharger, a vortech, a whipple, or sucked through a FAST intake. The results of poorly thought out setups seem to be catastrophic more often, though.

Here's a pretty informative page about C5 problems, including

Oil woes
Many late 2000 thru 2001 Vette's burn a lot of oil when the engine is kept constantly over 4,000 rpm's. This is caused by ring flutter, which allows extra oil to seep past the oil control rings, but doesn't seem to cause any extra wear to the engine. Chevrolet has rebuilt and replaced engines for owners that complained about excessive oil consumption. Their policy is that while the engine isn't normally operated like that outside of racing, it is the owner's prerogative to drive around in second gear all the time if they want to. It is covered under the warranty.

The PCV system also has a tendency to suck oil back into the intake at high rpm's. It doesn't seem to cause any problems, other than a slight mess inside the intake manifold. The newer style PCV system can be installed, but this requires removing all the components in the top of the engine valley. Usually only racer's bother with the hassle. Several generations of PCV systems have had the problem, and at this time, December 2004, the PCV system still sucks oil into the intake.

The oil-sucking problem will cause carbon buildup in the cylinders. The dealership sells GM Top End Cleaner, and Napa sells SeaFoam. The Top End Cleaner is not available in some smog states like California. Run a tube from the bottle into the hole for the PCV system behind the throttle body on the passenger side. Start the car, then start slowly sucking the solution into the engine. Don’t go too fast or the engine could lockup. As soon as the solution is gone, stop the motor for >4 hours, but preferably 12 hours. Be aware that when the engine is restarted, there will be a LOT of smoke!

The oil-sucking can be prevented by installing a catch can. AMW and Greddy make catch cans, but a homebuilt catch can may be built using a Campbell-Hausfield air tool oil separator from most tool stores, including AutoZone. The AMW and Greddy cans are ~$100, but look great. The CH can is $15-25 for all the parts, and you can see how much oil is in it.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Teching In

quick question on heads.

for a 346ci 205 or 225? (i dont mind giving up a lil low end)
and dart, afr or cartek?

iv never heard of cartek prior to joining this site, then found out how many stock bottom end ls1s have ran in the mid 10s with the cartek 4x head/4x cam package. although i couldnt find a price?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

quick question on heads.

for a 346ci 205 or 225? (i dont mind giving up a lil low end)
and dart, afr or cartek?

iv never heard of cartek prior to joining this site, then found out how many stock bottom end ls1s have ran in the mid 10s with the cartek 4x head/4x cam package. although i couldnt find a price?
cartek heads are very expensive but they are worth it if you want something that you know is gonna be fast...i will tell you this for the porting of the heads alone from them it is well over 2k, that doesn't include the price of the heads mind you which is the main reason why i will probably never be able to afford them