Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro SS Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro SS Cam Help

Hello, my son has a 2000 Camaro SS and is doing some mods to it. He already has LT's, Catted Y-Pipe, LM1, SLP Intake, Port TB, and is now going to put in a cam. He is planning on going with the Comp Cams XR265HR Cam. First of all, has anyone had any expirience with that cam, and if so, how did you like it and would you recommend it. Also, is he going to have to do any modifications to go along with the cam, so that it will run right. Thanks.

Last edited by CamaroGuy27; 12-25-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

no experience with that specific cam but a knowledgable mechanic and good tuning should make that cam streetable!
Old 12-24-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

it is a "decent" upgrade from stock, at 522/.529 lift you could keep your stock springs, but i would go ahead and upgrade to ls6 springs, only $50...if you wanted to, you could compliment the cam with a ls6 intake...you are going to get a decent increase in the midrange...it is perfectly fine for d/d and tuning idle won't be hard at all
Old 12-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I should put down 360-375 to the wheels with a LS6 intake. It will be a very good DD.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Adriana Lover
I should put down 360-375 to the wheels with a LS6 intake. It will be a very good DD.
is that with the cam?
Old 12-25-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My personal opinion,... Think about how he drives! I can't stand it when people buy "mail order" Cams. Its super general! Plus,.. all newbs go for the LARGEST cam right off the bat. Its super funny when they hit the track or romp on the throttle on the street and spin a baring and throw a rod. Thats when your son ends up taking out dates while using the bus as general transportation for over a month. Things you or he needs to consider is 'how does he drives',... what are his future plans' I.E. . forced induction or naturally-aspirated , Stroker and etc., How many miles does the motor already have on the odomiter...blah blah blah ..blah............bbllaahh!

Thats my piece!!!

If anything else,.. just be advised,... That Cam is considered an upgrade from the LS6 cam w/ a high lift. SOO... basic rule of thumb,.. if it has a lift higher than .600 then your son is gonna need new springs... PERIOD!!! I'd go with Double Valves Springs because they accomidate up to .650 lift. He can use the stock retainers if he chooses to but if he doesn't then he's gonna need new Valve Locks aswell. NOW lets say that the lift is below .600 then he can still use his stock Single Valve Springs.....UNLESS the motor already has an *** load of miles on it. If it does then I would say that he should buy some NEW Single Valve Sprigs just *** a procautionary investment. ... If he does that then he can also reuse the STOCK retainers and locks.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
My personal opinion,... Think about how he drives! I can't stand it when people buy "mail order" Cams. Its super general! Plus,.. all newbs go for the LARGEST cam right off the bat. Its super funny when they hit the track or romp on the throttle on the street and spin a baring and throw a rod. Thats when your son ends up taking out dates while using the bus as general transportation for over a month. Things you or he needs to consider is 'how does he drives',... what are his future plans' I.E. . forced induction or naturally-aspirated , Stroker and etc., How many miles does the motor already have on the odomiter...blah blah blah ..blah............bbllaahh!

Thats my piece!!!

If anything else,.. just be advised,... That Cam is considered an upgrade from the LS6 cam w/ a high lift. SOO... basic rule of thumb,.. if it has a lift higher than .600 then your son is gonna need new springs... PERIOD!!! I'd go with Double Valves Springs because they accomidate up to .650 lift. He can use the stock retainers if he chooses to but if he doesn't then he's gonna need new Valve Locks aswell. NOW lets say that the lift is below .600 then he can still use his stock Single Valve Springs.....UNLESS the motor already has an *** load of miles on it. If it does then I would say that he should buy some NEW Single Valve Sprigs just *** a procautionary investment. ... If he does that then he can also reuse the STOCK retainers and locks.
my son doesnt screw around too bad. He'll do the occasional burnout here or there but thats it. He doesnt take it to the track. And his plans for the car is just mainly a N/A build with around 450hp. And also the car has around 65,000 miles on the clock. So, the lift for that cam is .529 so he shouldn't need to upgrade anything right? I think he decided on going with the LS6 springs anyway.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroGuy27
my son doesnt screw around too bad. He'll do the occasional burnout here or there but thats it. He doesnt take it to the track. And his plans for the car is just mainly a N/A build with around 450hp. And also the car has around 65,000 miles on the clock. So, the lift for that cam is .529 so he shouldn't need to upgrade anything right? I think he decided on going with the LS6 springs anyway.
Good. Well,... with 65K on the Odomitter would warrant some new springs. I wouldn't put a new cam in with 65K mile old springs.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Good. Well,... with 65K on the Odomitter would warrant some new springs. I wouldn't put a new cam in with 65K mile old springs.
ok thanks man
Old 12-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bryan04h
is that with the cam?
Yup thats with the cam and a lil more breathing room fro the cam.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think 450 rwhp is realistic with that cam. And I think 360 cam only is optimistic.

I had ported Ls6 heads, LS6 intake, more lift/duration, & full higher ratio roller rockers & I hit 360 rwhp with a decent tune. I may hit 390 since I put headers, exhaust, & a better tune in it.

Don't mess with single valve springs. Go ahead and buy duals. Patriot golds are an inexpensive 'kit' that gives you the insurance of a 2nd spring if you snap one (around $250). You're also probably going to want to upgrade pushrods to a hardened version. You may need a slightly longer pushrod because the base circle of the aftermarket cam will probably be smaller than the oem. A pushrod length checker is cheap & accurate methodology.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Hello, my son has a 2000 Camaro SS and is doing some mods to it. He already has LT's, Catted Y-Pipe, LM1, SLP Intake, Port TB, and is now going to put in a cam. He is planning on going with the Comp Cams XR265HR Cam. First of all, has anyone had any expirience with that cam, and if so, how did you like it and would you recommend it. Also, is he going to have to do any modifications to go along with the cam, so that it will run right. Thanks.
Car will most likely need to be tuned in order to maximize power output. Dyno tune is best. If there are no shops around that will do it or if you don't have access to the appropriate software, then there are companies that allow you to ship the PCM to them. These companies re-flash the PCM for your specific mods and then ship it back to you. There may be a core charge involved if you decide to ship the PCM out to be re-flashed. If you really had a lot of time on your hands, you could develop your own software for tuning the LS1 or could utilize open source software (if it exists).

Other than that be sure your son knows that this specific cam is perfect for the car. Once it is installed, it will be a PITA if you have to install a new cam or have someone else install a new cam.

If I was your son, I would check out some cars and car shows (if there are LS1 Camaros/Firebirds prevalent in your area) and make sure you hear the cam in person or possibly ride in the car to test drivability. That may not be an option at this time of the year though.

I was thinking about a cam job once...
Old 12-27-2007, 07:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kenp
I don't think 450 rwhp is realistic with that cam. And I think 360 cam only is optimistic.
with this cam you arn't going to see 450rwhp unless you are using a blower, i agree with the dual springs tho but for the lift of this cam ls6 springs will work fine and they are at damn good pricing
Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That cam is not big enough to bother changing...to begin with he will never get any place close to 450 rwhp with one that small unless he goes to NOS...get something with duration in the mid to high 220s at least and lift in the high .500s ( like .581, .588, .595, ect.) a number of supporting vendors on here have packages (cam, springs, retainers, pushrods) that will be needed on any can swap/valve train upgrade. A good tune will be nessary for the car to run right. Go for it..
Old 12-27-2007, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slt200mph
That cam is not big enough to bother changing...to begin with he will never get any place close to 450 rwhp with one that small unless he goes to NOS...get something with duration in the mid to high 220s at least and lift in the high .500s ( like .581, .588, .595, ect.) a number of supporting vendors on here have packages (cam, springs, retainers, pushrods) that will be needed on any can swap/valve train upgrade. A good tune will be nessary for the car to run right. Go for it..
I agree. There are plenty of cams out there. Do some research first, listen to some sound clips of different cams (ls1sounds.com has some), and find what's best for your son. Does he want a real lopey idle? More power, but still daily driver? Lot's of cams in between there. My cam is MTI's Stealth II. It idles exactly like stock (you can here some lope if you really really listen), but above 3500 rpm, it pulls HARD all the way to 6500 rpm.

Good luck.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Teching In

ok thanks guys, he said hes gonna go with the cam and some ls6 springs, and a dyno tune from our local performance shop.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an FYI for ya..if he plans on getting to 450 HP at the tires that will require all the bolt ons (including a intake & TB) a real good set of heads and a good size cam and the appropriate valve train upgrades (dual springs, titanium retainers, & push rods) and a good tune..

450 RWHP will incite more than the occasional burnout..
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Thats my piece!!!

go big or go home.... i went with a 236/242 605 610 112 lsa with stock 241 castings with comp cam 921b double valve springs so far so good and ive been rompin for about a year with no problems with the stock pistons and soo forth... I put down 400rwhp threw a dana60 and a vig 3800 stall sooo anyway its my dd also... puts down 550 rwhp on a 125 dry shot... u name it ive changed it oh and dont forget to swap the timing chain i went with a double for added assurense.

Last edited by mattraypharbor; 12-28-2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: dry not wet lol.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that cam is way too small to justify all the hassle of swapping it out. go with at least a .580 lift cam and around 226-230 duration. anything smaller IMO just insnt worth the work it takes to swap it out. regardless of what you pick, swap out the springs and pushrods. if the cam is under .600 lift, comp 918s are good. anything over .600 lift, go with a dual spring like the patriots of the comp 921s. drop some chromoly 7.4 length
(stock length) pushrods and you're good to go.

its also a good idea to replace to timing chain with an LS2 chain (i didnt but most recommend it while youre in there for added strength). find a local tuner to tune it with HP Tuners and itll have stock manners with a nice lope and a good jump in power. good luck with it man!
Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

I have read all of the replies and no one has aswered his original question of whos running the cam and how do they like it. Can someone add anyone who is running Comps XR265HR 115 add any input.

Thanks