New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My big plans

Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My big plans

Hi guys, i figured i would make my real initial a lasting and well informed one.

About me:
My name is Luke i live near Nazareth, PA. I'm 19, I attended culinary school and am currently a cook at a local restaurant, cars are my hobby.

Inspiration:
Another member on here, he had a 2002 collector's edition one. He was at a local hang out one night, and when he revved and his cut-out made my heart shake i knew i wanted a f-bod car.

Little history:
Got my T/A this past June, traded in my prelude which the timing belt snapped on the previous night. Any way i have been lurking around here for some time now reading what i can, gathering what i can.

The little devil:
2000 Black Trans am, 48k (currently) M6, I'm the second owner, previous was and old guy that babied it, however he was a smoker so i do have a cigarette burn in the back passenger seat, moving on. This is not my DD, it was for about 7k then i bought a 1990 civic hatch, so its now my summer car.

Goals:
A reliable street beast that can corner like a ****, and still conquer the straight line. HP/TQ goals 430 rwhp/ 380 rwtq

So my plans are to do the modifications in stages, in order to make the most sense of the mods I'm doing and to make sure i have all the needed parts ready for installing and such, and get the most of of each modification. I plan to do as much work on my own as possible, my one downfall is i do not have access to a lift.

Lastly, i would love to have as much criticism on my choices and any suggestions you have. I am no ASE mechanic, so i may miss something here an there....................ON to the goods

Basic street upgrade stage 1

Exhaust:
Pacesetter "race style" headers
Generic y-pipe, probably TSP...i am still not sure if i want to run cats or not
TSP rumbler exhaust
AIR and EGR removal

Induction:
Fast intake system
85mm MAF
90 mm TB, probably FAST maybe another brand
LS6 intake ported and polished

Suspension:
Koni shocks
Strano springs
Front upper tower brace
BMR or UMI adjustable torque arm
Strano sway bars front and rear
UMI pan-hard bar
SFC- naturally, not sure on which ones I want yet
LCA's, UMI more then likely

Brakes:
Hawk ceramic brake pads
EBC drilled/slotted rotors
SS brake lines, earl's?

Tires:
I like my stock rims, but if find a decent set i will be sure to pick them up

Yokohama advans
Maybe a DR, since it isn't a DD

MISC:
WS6 hood
WW front lip
tint my damn windows

Last edited by link138; 01-12-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Basic street upgrade stage 2

Engine:
Ms3 cam
patriot stage II Lq9 heads
roller rocker
under-drive pulley
walbro 255 fuel pump
injectors 310cc, i know i had this saved some where, i could be totally off on the size on these

Drive train:
LS7 clutch
12-bolt, with tru-trac(3-channel, i think I'm wrong there)
4.10 gears
drive shaft loop
31 spline axles
Flywheel, i would prefer a lighter one, but i don't think its a necessity.

MISC:
line-lock kit
new HU, what is ours double DIN

LASTLY:

A GOOD TUNE

Last edited by link138; 01-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

So far that is what i have, I'm sure I'm missing some major component.

This set-up to me, seems to be a all around awesome street cat that is drivable, but still can really kick it HARD.

I thank you all for any help you can offer, comment or suggestions. Good or bad i will take them
Old 01-12-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got finished doing suspension and your planned set-up looks great. You could add weld in relocation brackets, its optional. If you choose to get subframe connectors I would get the weld in version as well.

I would also spend the extra money and get adjustable suspension conponents.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like a good setup! As you will find out, this will cost you thousands of $$$$$$. Let the modding begin!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

Thank you sir

Weld-in as compared to bolt-in?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

If you say you still want handling, I dont know how the drag radials would work.

Maybe some Goodyear Eagle F1's. and get a set of dr's for the strip.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

good point guy, but yes i was referring to 2 set's of tires
Old 01-13-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another Prelude to LS1 owner here myself. Actually, I'm keeping the Prelude and the Z28. Your list of things to get done looks good. I can't wait to start modding the car I bought (it already has hooker LT's and exhaust).
Old 01-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you want to scare the hell out of the Andretti's over there in Nazareth.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i never felt any difference with an engine brace, only had it in the way any time i was working on the engine. i would say only do it if it is for appearance.

if you plan to keep the headers for any length of time, make sure you invest in a good coating or do stainless. otherwise they will look like trash in a year and you'll want to replace.

the stainless brake lines are nice looking at least, i have the earls ones. i can't reallly say i feel any more braking performance

i feel like the best all weather tire on the market is the bfg kdw 2 and they have an awesome tread pattern. just throwing that out there cuz the advans are ugly to me

on the 12 bolt i would opt for the 33 spline. i did the same with the 30 splines trying to save money and twisted one. no help from moser on that cuz they are not warranty.. but the 33's are.

the front lip i have only seen pulled off well when the car was dropped to the grass and you do the giant rim thing. on a 1-2" lowered car it just looks like a cow catcher.

our head unit is 1.5 din. only two i have ever seen is an obsolete unit by pioneer and a current jensen model. there is a trans am engraved 1 din adapter plate that looks really nice.

the rockers, ours have a full roller bearing center, but not a roller tip. so gains would be minimal.. and for the expense of the big aluminum rockers you could have made more hp elsewhere. at least until you get to running over 7000rpm regularly i think the stock rockers are great. if not a daily driver you could do something like an electric water pump and pick up more hp and bling up the engine bay at the same time.

i would take the money saved by the lip and the engine brace and go ahead and throw a dry shot on it, and with the dry shot skip to a set of mototron 60# injectors. they are big but they run great, are my favorite injector out there for these cars.

6 years ago i was the same type of guy that was going to be totally satisfied with a 400 horsepower car.

well thats what i got.. good luck with your car man.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the advice, you really think the upper tower bar will not help...IDK

And yeh the andretti's..................i feed them alot
Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

I would go with the strut tower brace It helped my car, and I think it looks good also. Def go with weld in parts when available and I would suggest adjustable suspension since you wanna have a corner carving but drag worthy car. In my opinion I would go with the Fast 90 intake, looks awesome and I feel would be a better piece than the ls6 with the mods you listed. Dont cut corners or you will be wishing you hadnt and end up buying something different in the long run. Good luck with your modding.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Junkie

sounds like a good plan.. this hobby costs $$$bank$$$ .. just an FYI we muscle car heads use # (pounds) with our injectors
Old 01-14-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Addict

Honesly I think you will be more than happy with phase one for quite some time. Sounds like you have the right parts picked out though.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i have never lost a race because of.. or been unable to navigate a section of road because of having removed the bar.

i had the sweet one too that goes up to the cowl.

Originally Posted by link138
Thank you for the advice, you really think the upper tower bar will not help...IDK

And yeh the andretti's..................i feed them alot
Old 01-14-2008, 07:37 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

If you're going to run the FAST intake, you don't need the "LS6 intake ported and polished". Matter of fact, the 90mm TB won't work with the LS6 intake anyways. Since you're staying NA, go with the FAST and any decent 90mm TB.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
12 Second Club

something you seem to of have missed..is what work you wanna do to your transmission...i would recommend checking the sponsors here like six speeds inc.. and asking them about their tranny packages..your stocker may hold for a bit but with all that fun stuff going at it....may not hold for long..and an ounce of prevention...ya know?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I understand about the tranny, but i don't see these other f-bodies with H/C running much more then a new clutch assembly
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Resident

no need to worry about your tranny till it breaks, alot of guys run the stock trans with over 500rwhp. It is mostly little things from just wearing out from high mileage that warrants a rebuild. just upgrade your Hyd system and get a decent clutch. Ls7 is great for what you plan on doing.

Search this Thread