New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it worth buying a Diablosport Tuner??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it worth buying a Diablosport Tuner??

My car is an M6 and has a damn skip shift that is driving me nuts, i am looking to remove that feature. I am also looking to remove my top speed limiter and traction control... Does it add any horsepower??? If so how much? Is it worth spending 350 dollars on one?

Or will a similar price dyno tune give me more hp with the same features???
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Launching!

i'd just buy a skip shift eliminator for 20 bucks. And how important to you is taking your speed limiter off? When do you go that fast?

Slp has a custom tuned diablo.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
My car is an M6 and has a damn skip shift that is driving me nuts, i am looking to remove that feature. I am also looking to remove my top speed limiter and traction control... Does it add any horsepower??? If so how much? Is it worth spending 350 dollars on one?

Or will a similar price dyno tune give me more hp with the same features???
Buying the tuner is your choice... it really depends on if you think you'll actually use more of the features to get your money out of it.

You could spend ~$20 and wait for the tuner.
WS6 Store carries the CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) eliminator.. here

...or if you're the DIY kinda guy you can just go to radio shack and get a resistor to do the same thing. Here's a guide.

In my opinion, the WS6 Store kit is more professional and you probably wouldn't have to worry about weather/rain/whatever getting into it.

Hope this helps... feel free to PM me if you've got questions.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Not worth what they cost. You can get a skip shift eliminator for 20.00 and a good dyno tune for around 300.00.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plus if you dont know what youre doing with those diablosport things you can blow your motor like my buddy did with his 07 stang. too much timing kapowww.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sschkade
Buying the tuner is your choice... it really depends on if you think you'll actually use more of the features to get your money out of it.

You could spend ~$20 and wait for the tuner.
WS6 Store carries the CAGS (Computer Aided Gear Selection) eliminator.. here

...or if you're the DIY kinda guy you can just go to radio shack and get a resistor to do the same thing. Here's a guide.

In my opinion, the WS6 Store kit is more professional and you probably wouldn't have to worry about weather/rain/whatever getting into it.

Hope this helps... feel free to PM me if you've got questions.
Funny thing is i was planning to buy a tuner from that website (and many other performance additives). So, does that tuner add any ponies or will a 350 dollar dyno tune do more good??
Old 04-07-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisdacarnut
Not worth what they cost. You can get a skip shift eliminator for 20.00 and a good dyno tune for around 300.00.

Alright, thanx i will definitely look into that. By the way, how much would that tune add to a mostly stock car??
Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jsteele90
plus if you dont know what youre doing with those diablosport things you can blow your motor like my buddy did with his 07 stang. too much timing kapowww.
damn, lol.... No, i was pretty much going to do a diablo tune or something like that , but now i am starting to reconsider it...
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will gain like 10 maybe horsepower from a handleld tune but where are you located in ca? look in the western section there are some good shops like cms and they will turn all that garbage off and give good discounts on retunes in the future. I think it is worth having a tune custom taylored to your car vs. getting one from the mail.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 180ls1
you will gain like 10 maybe horsepower from a handleld tune but where are you located in ca? look in the western section there are some good shops like cms and they will turn all that garbage off and give good discounts on retunes in the future. I think it is worth having a tune custom taylored to your car vs. getting one from the mail.
I am located in North Hollywood (near Los Angeles), and already know couple of dyno shops... I once went to GRC dynoshop with my 98 mustang gt (it dynoed 260 RWHP) Bought a T/A anyway
Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/western-members/897935-now-thats-shop-part-2-a.html

here is a thread on cms ryne's number will be in some of the sigs. that is a good place to take your car.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:04 AM
12 Second Club

GMHTP did an article about handhelds in the latest issue. most of them gained ~10 rwhp and `~15 rwft-lbs if i remember correctly. the test car had exhaust, clutch and built 6 speed with stock ratio's.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

damn, lol.... No, i was pretty much going to do a diablo tune or something like that , but now i am starting to reconsider it...
IF you decide on the predator just keep an eye out for knock when advancing the timing. Also with the predator you can't put but so much timing in it. You can also remove the top speed limiter with the predator. check their forum out on there website....alot of good info.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Handhelds offer some cool features to play around w/ but as far as power goes you might see a few hp...Most bolt on dyno tunes/ mail orders cost less an definately will add molre hp.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Save yourself the hassle of guessing and take it to a reputable shop. That will ensure all the parameters (IE a/f ratio) are safe. Congrats on the new ride.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the predator and so far so good... mine will do everything you listed expcept deleting traction control.

As said above, just be careful with timing. I used the Predators preprogramed 'performance' tune and got a lot of knock in the 4500+ range. I just loaded the stock tune back in and fiddled with it myself.

I like mine alot, every little thing I do (only thing recently has been a ORY) I can retune. On top of the tuning capabilities, it will read/clear trouble codes and live data. I think the live data feature is my favorite thing about it, just need a friend in the car to monitor it for you.

As everyone said above though, I dont think the predator is the best for fine tuning. My car is close to stock, so I dont think I need a custom tune. When i perform some serious upgrades I will be getting it proffesionally tuned.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jp74
Save yourself the hassle of guessing and take it to a reputable shop. That will ensure all the parameters (IE a/f ratio) are safe. Congrats on the new ride.
thats what i will do, thanx for the advice. I have already ordered a lid and a Mac Air filter. Next thing is exhaust, gears and some exterior mods like tint and blacked out wheels
Old 04-11-2008, 07:23 AM
11 Second Club

thats what i will do, thanx for the advice. I have already ordered a lid and a Mac Air filter. Next thing is exhaust, gears and some exterior mods like tint and blacked out wheels
That is a wise decision. But let me offer you a little more advice. Don't get the car dyno tuned until after you do the exhaust. Sometimes LT headers cause a car to run a little lean or a little rich. A dyno tune on a stock car will gain about 10 rwhp but a dyno tune on a full exhaust car might gain 15+ and correct a bad A/F ratio. I know mine was way out of whack after headers.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1
That is a wise decision. But let me offer you a little more advice. Don't get the car dyno tuned until after you do the exhaust. Sometimes LT headers cause a car to run a little lean or a little rich. A dyno tune on a stock car will gain about 10 rwhp but a dyno tune on a full exhaust car might gain 15+ and correct a bad A/F ratio. I know mine was way out of whack after headers.
Id second that, atleast finish your exhaust off 1st before you get a bolt on dyno tune.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's not bad if you can find one cheap, and get some basic tuning done. But for the price of one brand new, I would get a dyno tune instead.

Quick Reply: Is it worth buying a Diablosport Tuner??