Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unecessary Parts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Unecessary Parts...

I'm new to the LS1 buildup thing and have a question. With cam in hand and heads on the way what speed parts are unecessary and can be bought last if they're needed at all?

I've been told that the stock rocker arms, lifters, LS6 intake, TB, and even pushrods can be used to get me into the 11 second zone. So my question is: What parts are luxuries or are bought mainly to ensure longevity? Thanks!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephIV
I'm new to the LS1 buildup thing and have a question. With cam in hand and heads on the way what speed parts are unecessary and can be bought last if they're needed at all?

I've been told that the stock rocker arms, lifters, LS6 intake, TB, and even pushrods can be used to get me into the 11 second zone. So my question is: What parts are luxuries or are bought mainly to ensure longevity? Thanks!
IMO I think that new rockers, lifters, springs, and rods are a must if I were doing H/C. I would definately want to feed more air into that set up so Yes udated Intake and TB are a must but do lean toward a luxury. I wouldnt half *** the set up you sound like you are going to do. More air, more power, no doubt.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this dosen't answer your question but you need to change your pushrods with a new cam.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

That depends on what cam and what heads you have and also what year/car you have. Rockers of a different ratio is like having a higher lift cam but good rollers like Yella Terra are good but not needed.

Lifters should be replaced with a new cam especially if they have alot of miles on them...Scoggin Dickey sells a set of LS7s for a little over $100 which is a great price.

Pushrods NEED to be the right length and is tough to say until you have your cam and heads installed weather stocks will work...but again you can get a set of hardened ones for about $90 fro SDPC.

LS6 intake is not needed but would really help to get you into the 11s, however yo could always use the LS1 intake until you get the LS6.TB is the same.

Also think about a new timing chain(YOU NEED THIS, LS2 chain will fit your LS1 sprockets and the chain is only $40)

Just be sure to budget everything before the install, shop around for the best prices on gaskets, new head bolts, ect.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
That depends on what cam and what heads you have and also what year/car you have. Rockers of a different ratio is like having a higher lift cam but good rollers like Yella Terra are good but not needed.

Lifters should be replaced with a new cam especially if they have alot of miles on them...Scoggin Dickey sells a set of LS7s for a little over $100 which is a great price.

Pushrods NEED to be the right length and is tough to say until you have your cam and heads installed weather stocks will work...but again you can get a set of hardened ones for about $90 fro SDPC.

LS6 intake is not needed but would really help to get you into the 11s, however yo could always use the LS1 intake until you get the LS6.TB is the same.

Also think about a new timing chain(YOU NEED THIS, LS2 chain will fit your LS1 sprockets and the chain is only $40)

Just be sure to budget everything before the install, shop around for the best prices on gaskets, new head bolts, ect.
He's right. If your on a tight budget this is the best route to take. $250 to $300 is priceless for the piece of mind that you will have.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I have an 01 6spd Z28 and just purchased a set of Livernois stage 2 heads. I plan on doing the timing chain with the cam swap and figure that I will be getting hardened pushrods for the correct length and piece of mind. I have a Comp 275 high lift cam and will be buying QTP longtubes and y within the month. The car has mids and y now.

What about the LS6 oil pump? Is the stock piece that bad?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would change it also since your down that far in the motor. There not much more than $100. I think I got mine at Texas Speed but most sponsors can point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll be looking into the LS6 pump. Gonna check TSP.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right, if you already have it torn down that far, it's a good idea to go ahead and replace it then rather than having to take it all apart later because your pump failed. If you plan on running 11's I would definately get some good springs that will match your setup (most assembled heads come with good springs) as well as the pushrods.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

if you have an 01 camaro then u should already have an ls6 intake....
Old 04-11-2008, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

The heads are off, you'd be crazy not to do lifters. I would not ever swap heads and not do ARP bolts or studs.

LS6 intake and home-ported TB should be fine and won't cost you much power, and you can change them later easily.