Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me with mods

So far i have a lid and catback on my car... Planning to install 4.10's (but will have to decide on that later. A big problem for me is that I live in CA, so i will need some Smog Friendly mods, so no cam, long tube headers for me, etc...

Besides those mods which ones would you recommend, that are smog friendly??
I really want to bring my car up to at least 350 RWHP

thanx
Old 04-18-2008, 02:44 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
So far i have a lid and catback on my car... Planning to install 4.10's (but will have to decide on that later. A big problem for me is that I live in CA, so i will need some Smog Friendly mods, so no cam, long tube headers for me, etc...

Besides those mods which ones would you recommend, that are smog friendly??
I really want to bring my car up to at least 350 RWHP

thanx

What part of CA do your live? I lived in the Riverside area for about a year....and honestly....its absolutely impossiable to mod your car and obey their textbook smog rules at the same time.

They are so rediculas when it comes to referee's/smog etc etc. I feel bad for ya

Here are the mods I can think of off the top of my head that they would have too really know LS1's to notice if they ever popped your hood.

HP mods
-Underdrive pulley
-SSRA(since its under your car dont know if they would bother or not)
-tune/flashscan (EFI/HP tuners etc)
-Ported Throttle Body
-Ported maf

Might look into some LCA's, SFC's,Panhard bar, TQ arm etc etc....will help out tons in the suspension/chasis area.

I don't think you'll be at the 350ish whp area with more mods that arn't smog friendly....but you are VERY limited to mods that won't attract attention. People just dont understand how bad California really is about this smog stuff unless they have actually lived there.

I know you said no cams but one of the easiest ways to get there imo..would be too put a VERY mild "sleeper cam" in IE a TR CheatR cam etc..and vist a "local" shop to pass your visual and smog

or put a Nitrous Outlet money maker kit in there and hide the bottle in the spare tire area.

Once again...I feel bad for ya....hope this helps.

Last edited by RedsrtAk; 04-18-2008 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanx man, you really helped a lot. I live a few miles from Los Angeles, unfortunately. Does throttle body add any power? Or how about a fast 90mm intake manifold????
Old 04-18-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Second Club

thanx man, you really helped a lot. I live a few miles from Los Angeles, unfortunately. Does throttle body add any power? Or how about a fast 90mm intake manifold????
You car has a LS6 intake mani on it right now which flows pretty well for your power level.....Yes...a Fast 90/90 setup with a intake mani and TB would help you out ....but a CHP might cite you for it on an inspection from the sheer fact of the labels on it You never know with them....

I think your best bet for now would be too keep your LS6 intake mani and port your stock TB for a few extra ponies.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedsrtAk
You car has a LS6 intake mani on it right now which flows pretty well for your power level.....Yes...a Fast 90/90 setup with a intake mani and TB would help you out ....but a CHP might cite you for it on an inspection from the sheer fact of the labels on it You never know with them....

I think your best bet for now would be too keep your LS6 intake mani and port your stock TB for a few extra ponies.
alright, i will look for a ported tb, can you recommend a good brand?

Thanx! by the way, that manifold is smog friendly, right???
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just port your stock one. my bbk isnt carb certified. but the fast is not carb legal. your ls6 manifold is of course. which is a great manifold
Old 04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if youre worried about staying smog legal (which isnt any fun) id say port ur TB, get a tune and then focus on getting some suspension for your car to plant the power since youre gonna have 410s. adding power in CA and passing smog is almost impossible. you could look into upgrading your cam to a ls6 or a GM hot cam kit. those still pass smog with good tuning. or call a performance shop and see about some custom grind cams/cheater cams etc.

personally i would say **** CA emissions and just mod your car and just try not to get caught!
Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1Loudz28
if youre worried about staying smog legal (which isnt any fun) id say port ur TB, get a tune and then focus on getting some suspension for your car to plant the power since youre gonna have 410s. adding power in CA and passing smog is almost impossible. you could look into upgrading your cam to a ls6 or a GM hot cam kit. those still pass smog with good tuning. or call a performance shop and see about some custom grind cams/cheater cams etc.

personally i would say **** CA emissions and just mod your car and just try not to get caught!
I say **** the CA too Sorry, i am a noob and have to ask, would a 92mm or a 90mm fit my ls1???

Thanx, i will look into those cams (how much would they add btw?), and not passing smog is not a possibility for me
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM
10 Second Club

I say **** the CA too Sorry, i am a noob and have to ask, would a 92mm or a 90mm fit my ls1???

Thanx, i will look into those cams (how much would they add btw?), and not passing smog is not a possibility for me
Any 90 or 92 mm tb will not fit your LS6 Intake mani, just get your stock one ported. Start off smaller, maybe get the underdrive pulley(SLP, ASP, powerbond), get the TB ported, and then look into cams.

Almost positive with lid/catback/UD/ported tb/cam you would be at your goal as long as your tune was done right.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RedsrtAk
Any 90 or 92 mm tb will not fit your LS6 Intake mani, just get your stock one ported. Start off smaller, maybe get the underdrive pulley(SLP, ASP, powerbond), get the TB ported, and then look into cams.

Almost positive with lid/catback/UD/ported tb/cam you would be at your goal as long as your tune was done right.
Cool, i will look into porting my tb and also about pulleys, i have found

98-02 LS1 ASP Racing 25% Underdrive Crank/Alternator Pulleys that add around 10 hp
and also 98-02 LS1 March Performance Dampener Pulley

I mainly shop in Ws6 store- great website, already purchased couple mods from there. And again, sorry for the noob question, but those cant both be installed right? Its either or?

P.S. Tune will definitely be done once i do all these mods, and only after that i will look into new rims and maybe lower the car 2 inches, put some street tires, but that will be another story... i know nothing about suspension yet
Old 04-19-2008, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

One suggestion: DON'T waste money on gears for the 10 bolt. Get a 12 bolt or 9" instead. Can't afford it? Good, Good, that means you have something to save for. Guys with limited budgets have all the more reason to only spend money once. Personal experiance: Broke the 10 bolt with lts/TDs/Lid. Upgraded to 9", and was by far the best mod i did.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landonew
One suggestion: DON'T waste money on gears for the 10 bolt. Get a 12 bolt or 9" instead. Can't afford it? Good, Good, that means you have something to save for. Guys with limited budgets have all the more reason to only spend money once. Personal experiance: Broke the 10 bolt with lts/TDs/Lid. Upgraded to 9", and was by far the best mod i did.
Well, on any gear set there is a break in period... I think you cant push the car for like 300 miles or more with new gears... maybe thats the reason your 10 bolt broke

Thanx for the advice though, another thing for me to look into
Old 04-19-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

This is what you do. You go ahead and get a set of LT headers, the FAST 90mm intake/TB. Get a custom Y-pipe made for you, but make sure that they dont weld it to your catback. Then when smog time comes around, you put on your stock intake/exhaust. Pass the sniff, and you are good to go. You might want to look into getting MSD Wires and coils and iridium plugs. Thats what I would do if I was worried about passing the smog.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

But then again I have my car registered in Michigan, so I dont have to worry about smog...also if you go that route, remove your EGR and air pump. It will clean things up. Keep it in your garage until smog time comes around and put it back on.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

pulley, ported MAF ends, ported and polished t/b, a cold air kit of some sort, the SLP y-pipe to replace the flat piece and you could go shorty headers to stay legal, and a tune
Old 04-19-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02silvaZ
pulley, ported MAF ends, ported and polished t/b, a cold air kit of some sort, the SLP y-pipe to replace the flat piece and you could go shorty headers to stay legal, and a tune
I was already informed that shorty headers do no diff what so ever.

By now, thats what i am thinking: 410's, FTRA, High flow MAF, Pulleys, strut brace bar, possibly a ported tb? and to top it all off a nice tune

And then, wheels and suspension mods...
Old 04-20-2008, 06:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a higher stall torque converter. It will put a smile on your face.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jp74
Buy a higher stall torque converter. It will put a smile on your face.
Hmmm mine's a 6 speed....
My brother bought one (3500 stall) for his 2002 auto z28 btw... Will be installing it on monday or so...
Old 04-20-2008, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

hmmmm i would move if i were u ......or just wing it and hope u dont get caught cause with just lt's and a couple of minor bolt ons u will be at ur goal......or u could get a carb cert blower of sum sort!!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fox16
hmmmm i would move if i were u ......or just wing it and hope u dont get caught cause with just lt's and a couple of minor bolt ons u will be at ur goal......or u could get a carb cert blower of sum sort!!!!
i think that those mods that i have listed should bring me up to 330-40 maybe...
after i do those mods, i will start looking into headers and other ****