Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody = POS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fbody = POS!

Yea, thats right. I love my ws6 to death, but DAMNIT THE BUILD QUALITY SUCKS! Seriously can't remember the last time I went 2 weeks without having to repair something. Usually it is minor, but it still pisses me off. Here is the last month for example:

4 weeks ago: Driver's side window motor goes out
3 weeks ago: Drivers side turn signal goes out, have to replace the housing
5 days later: Passangers side turn signal starts acting up. Replace corroded housing. Works fine:
1 week ago: the passangers side headlight motor goes out.
3 days later: Passangers side window motor goes out.
today: Drivers side window motor starts making that noise (i know, its striped a gear)

So on my way to Orielly's, I try to use the damn turn signal. Won't work. I go through all the procedures in the general maintaince sticky, and the damn flasher went bad.

I know that the car is 8 years old, and I know that this is not a typical month, but damnit I am tired of spending so much time fixing the little nick nack things that go wrong with these cars.

Anyone else feeling me???? Or do I need to stop bitching?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

If its any condolence, I've changed my blinkers twice per rainy season, every rainy season, since i've owned my TA. It's just one of the small design flaws in the car. This year I replaced both light sockets, not just bulbs, and I did the "drill" mod to the signal lamps to let the inside of those horrible lamps dry out.

Windows: well, we'll all run into that problem with F-bodys.

Just think of it as a small, ritual sacrifice to the Speed Gods, or the "sexy car" gods, or whatever auto-related God your particular WS6 prays to. You could argue that the Gods were too busy with the motor, and they decied to let a demi-god design the signal housings for our cars

I guess I'd hafta vote for "quit bitching". If you look at other cars GM put out from 98-02... we have it pretty good.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn man sounds like you just have bad luck. My car is a 98 with about 80k on it and since I had it all I had to do was replace a squealing idler pulley and change out a bulb for the turn signal so ive had really good luck with mine I guess
Old 04-19-2008, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
If its any condolence, I've changed my blinkers twice per rainy season, every rainy season, since i've owned my TA. It's just one of the small design flaws in the car. This year I replaced both light sockets, not just bulbs, and I did the "drill" mod to the signal lamps to let the inside of those horrible lamps dry out.

Windows: well, we'll all run into that problem with F-bodys.

Just think of it as a small, ritual sacrifice to the Speed Gods, or the "sexy car" gods, or whatever auto-related God your particular WS6 prays to. You could argue that the Gods were too busy with the motor, and they decied to let a demi-god design the signal housings for our cars

I guess I'd hafta vote for "quit bitching". If you look at other cars GM put out from 98-02... we have it pretty good.
Good way to think of it. At least they got the business end of the car right. (OHHH DID THEY GET IT RIGHT)
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

!wow!
Old 04-19-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well it is 9 years old, so thinkgs are going to start going wrong... They should be good now though for a while
Old 04-19-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Landonew: I just noticed that you're in Alabama?? If that's the case, the problem with the lights is going to plague you forever. All the humidity and sudden thunderstorms... Those lights will never dry out!!!! At least in California I can predict when it's gonna happen.. only when it's winter !!

I bet the guys in AZ never have problems with blinkers...
Old 04-19-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a 9 year old car, you should expect to have to replace small misc. things.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your car is a piece of ****. My car has been in 5 major wrecks and repaired to 2mm and the car is flawless.

I hardly ever have problems with it. I love the car, too. It is by far the most reliable car I have owned.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Look at the upside - all the stuff that typically goes wrong went wrong in the space of a month. Get it all fixed up and you'll be good to go for the long haul. Except I didn't see any mention of the driver's side headlight motor ... uh-oh ...
Old 04-19-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

jeez, its been over a year since I have had to repair anything....some people are just unlucky
Old 04-19-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ive yet to replace anything on my car, but I do have to have replace that seatbelt clip thats on my driver seat. But luckily I dont have a T/A cuz then those motors would be a pain in the ***.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:04 PM

Be thankful that you didn't buy a Mustang. There is no repair for a boat anchor of a powertrain and a truck like driving position. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get that baby back on the road!

Last edited by Rowin Gearz; 04-20-2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 PM
Teching In

damn dude....mine is a 93 and is basically 100% original with 140k miles on it. I am starting to have troubles with my window motor, but at 15 yrs old......it's expected
Old 04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Just sell it
Old 04-19-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

No FBODY in the world should be called a POS because it's far from it. At least you dont have major drivetrain or engine problems, it's all misc... ****, for me my T/A is the best car i have ever owned or even drove.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
No FBODY in the world should be called a POS because it's far from it. At least you dont have major drivetrain or engine problems, it's all misc... ****, for me my T/A is the best car i have ever owned or even drove.
Well all know the F-Body is superior to many muscle car of the same generation, or even newer ones. Those things dont affect the performance of it, we dont need headlights or windows to have fun. Right?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 PM
12 Second Club

your problem was you replaced one part at a time, if a signal light or window motor goes out, well guess what the other one is just as old, and has probably been used about the same. replace everything in pairs, and guess what you'll only have to do half the work.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just sell it
Too you? Bet you would like that wouldn't you!

Well all know the F-Body is superior to many muscle car of the same generation, or even newer ones. Those things dont affect the performance of it, we dont need headlights or windows to have fun. Right?
True, but one of my TAs biggest assets is it's ability to pull pu$$y at the drop of a hat. Hard to do that when the windows don't roll down, you can't change lanes, or drive at night without breaking out the socket set.

Actually, I have experienced both drivetrain (10 bolt broke, Transmission had to be rebuilt, stock clutch = paper weight) and engine (can you spun bearing) with this vehicle. NOT GMs fault however. I modified it, and thus had to assume the potential liabilities of excessive wear and tear and unreliability. However, I saw those "problems" as OPPORTUNITIES to upgrade. However, you can't really upgrade window/headlight motors and blinker housings. Those parts are fungible, and can (for the most part) only be replaced.

And BTW, I use the term POS with enderment. I would sell my soul before i sold my TA, but my love affair does not blind me to it's faults/shortcomings. The fact is that GM used cheap parts when designing optional/accessory compenents of the car. It almost as if the parts where designed to break the minute after the warranty had expired. So yes, Fbody's build quality is poor. But hey, you get what you pay for. I guess the TA would be out of my price range had they used better components.

Originally Posted by twpetry
your problem was you replaced one part at a time, if a signal light or window motor goes out, well guess what the other one is just as old, and has probably been used about the same. replace everything in pairs, and guess what you'll only have to do half the work.
I disagree. The labor is the same whether or not you replace the motors, turn signal housings ext. at the same time or when they break. The aggrivation is doubled however, so I may heed your advice in the future.

Conclusion: For those of you who listened to my rant, thank you. For those of you who can relate, know that I too share in your aggrivation. I love the TA, and the title was more for shock factor than anything else (how many of you expected the post to be by some import/mustang guy looking for a flame war? ) In reality, it is kinda of fun fixing the misc. things that break. Hey, an excuse to work on the car is not necessarily a bad thing. But damn, I have had enough excuses to work on the car in the last month. IT's summer time, so now all i need is an excuse to Drive it!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you have no garage or cover for your T/A? You only have 25,000 miles on it?

Quick Reply: Fbody = POS!