Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise coming from rear of car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Noise coming from rear of car?

Ok so I have had a noise almost like a deep hum. Well I started with balancing my rims, they were a little off so I balanced them right on the nose. Pop them back on the car and still getting the noise. My tires dont feel chopped but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the tires, so I put my buddies stock 93 Z28 rims and tires on, and I know they are balanced on the button cause it was my old car and I was the one that balanced them ...So I took it for a test drive and I am still getting the noise.......Well good news is that its not my rims and tires but bad news is I still have the noise.

The noise happens about 35mph and up. Its really bad at 70ish. So my question is NEWBIE--- are there wheel bearings on the back of my car? If not my only other thing I think it could be is a dragging break.

What do you guys/girls think???

Thanks!

BTW- The car hasn't had an alignment since the rims/tires and new shocks and springs. Blisten shocks and Eibach lowering springs.

Thanks again!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you need one asap. the front toe is toed out and will cause your tires to chop on the inside of the tire. maybe a yoke/u joint
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the previous owner did the rims/tires and springs/shocks and I believe he did all of it a year ago so the alignment cant be too far off cause the tires would be chopped to hell. Would a u joint make that kind of noise? I haven't ever had one go out on me.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Staging Lane

Is it for sure comming from the rear or the front. Some times the front hubs (wheel bearing assemblies) on these cars will make a humming noise, but you can usually determine that it is comming from the front. If your noise is from the rear, you may what to jack up the back of the car and see if the axles have any play in a up/down or right/left motion. I have noticed that many of the LS1 car will have a tiny bit of "play" in the rear axle bearings, but it is barely even something you can measure with a dial indicator. If it has a decent amount of "play" then you may want to pull that axle shaft out and replace the bearing on that side.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

So when I jack it up I should pull up and down on the tire, kinda like checking for a messed up wheel bearing but see if it has play where the axle goes in to the diff?

Pretty sure its in the back, almost positive, my buddy said its pretty loud when he is sitting in the back seat. It almost sounds like road noise, like having real meaty tires but after putting my friends tires that are brand new, I now know that isn't the problem
Old 04-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Yes, exactly like checking a wheel bearing. If you leave the wheel/tire on, you have a little more leverage to move the axle with. Don't be suprised if there is a little, tiny bit of play like I said in the other post. That is normal. I have worked on LS1 cars that had under 6k miles and they all felt the same way. If it has more than about 1/32" or more, thats when you know there is a problem. You may want to pull the plug on the differential while you have the rear off the ground and look at the condition of the lube. It is not uncommon for these cars to have differential bearing problems that sound like road noise in the early stages.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

So are the axle bearings just possibly bad or is this slowly the becoming the end of my 10 bolt? How hard to change and what do they cost for just the bearings?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am taking a 5 hour trip to Chicago this month is it bad to drive a long distance with this noise, what if it is the axle bearing?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was going to say it could be your axle bearing. If so, it's not too hard of a fix.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

I would swap both bearings out if you do it. Like Tyler said it isnt too hard of a fix at all
Old 04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I searched axle bearings and this is one of the threads that came up, it says that if your axle has a groove in it the axle might need to be replaced. I dont want to be replacing a bunch of parts on my stock 10 bolt. Is there a how to on axle bearings? My buddy will probably help me with it, he is alot more mechanically inclined than me. How much are the bearings themselves?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=axle+bearing

Last edited by mcalus; 04-28-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: forgot to add the link
Old 04-28-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

are these the axle bearings i need?

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294901296
Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95GreenZ28
I would swap both bearings out if you do it. Like Tyler said it isnt too hard of a fix at all
x2 new parts cant hurt
Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i had same problem i wd40 the muffler hinges and took out the tire and jack from the rear...
depended on wat rpm i was on tho...
Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my axle bearings not to long ago it was pretty simple. I can give you a walk thur if you want. I did mine on a set of jack stands it took me about hour and a half to get back on the ground and driving it again.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Update!

Ok, My buddy and I jacked up the car last night pulled up and down on the tire and there almost wasn't any play in the axle. We spun the tires foward and there wasn't any odd noises. Buddy checked the fluid level and he said its was full. Is that a even possible for a bearing to go out when the thing has plenty of gear oil? He said the only thing he could think of was a Carrier bearing, but still how would that go bad when the thing has plenty of gear oil?

So we jacked the front up and checked the front wheel bearings see if it was playing a game on us but no noise.

Are there only 2 alxe bearings? Just one on each side of the diff?

How much do the bearings cost?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you wrote you spun the forward did you spin it with your hands or did you put the car in gear. You should try putting in gear if you didn't and try to duplicate the problem. It is possible to have bearing failure with oil. There are two axle bearings one at each end of the axle tubes. There are two carrier bearing that hold the chunk in. I also do belive that there is a pinon bearing as well. See if you happen to have any pinon play were the drive shaft meets the rear end. I bought GM replacement axle bearings which were right around 40.00. Also have you pulled the rear cover off and checked the magnet for any metal shavings. When you are in there you can also inspect the ring gear for abnormal wear patterns.

Last edited by RsSean; 04-30-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does your noise get louder when you have stress in the rear-end? Like when you're on the gas or letting off the gas down hill? That would prob make it a rear gears problem. Take the car for a short spin around the block then check the rear end's fluid and see if there's any metal flake in it. That'll tell us a lot. Swat
Old 04-30-2008, 06:19 PM
TECH Resident

Make sure you have enough gear fluid in your diff. The rear pinion seals are known to go bad and leak constantly.

The wheel bearings are located inside your axle. Not too hard to get to, just need to drop your brake caliper, rotors, take off the c-clamps inside the 3rd member housing, and inspect them for wear.

If not, you should check your gears. 10-bolts are horrible and break easy. If you have a broken one, upgrade if you are on a budget to a good set of gears from a sponsor, or just go all out and get a proper 9" IMO.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK! Update! I went to 2 local dealerships cause I know 2 of the guys pretty well. First went to a side garage and its a guy my dad knows, took him for a drive he said its one of the bearings.

I use to work at a Ford dealership and I know the service manager pretty well so we went for a drive he said it also is one of the bearings, he is shooting for a axle bearing cause when you steer hard back and forth it will make a slight change from side to side.

When we where rolling the tires it was in neutral.

Noise happens no matter what, up hill, down hill, left, right.

We checked the fluid, there is plenty in it.

Haven't pulled the cover off yet!

Quick Reply: Noise coming from rear of car?