Sponsored by:

A4 once in overdrive,sometimes acts like a slipping clutch in an M6

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A4 once in overdrive,sometimes acts like a slipping clutch in an M6

Hi'ya, I have a '98 T/A (Stock*) & a Modded '01 Formula(12.04@113
with A4/3200Stall TCI, etc) in the family & I was looking for any fellow A4 equipped Stock LS1 owners who may have had a strange occurance like just mentioned in this thread with the L460 automatic.
In the '98 T/A, I have this once in awhile problem since approx 90k miles (Car bought from original owner 4 yrs ago w/ 86K miles on it)
Here it is:
Had first Fluid change at 88K miles (pumped out approx 90-95% thru tube) & it was a reddish brown at the time) Filter changed as well.
At around 90k+ while driving on the interstate around 65-70, car suddenly decided to act like it was a stick car, & someone stepped on the clutch just a bit to get it to slip. (It acts like it's slipping for a 'lil bit, and the tach revs up, but car hardly responds)
(it acts like a slipping clutch under a load just before it does this).
This happened intermittently & every once in awhile. Playing on & off the gas a bit & it goes away *no lockup jolt or anything. It just stops revving & works fine. I thought I was nuts until I experienced this with a Buddy in the car when it had around 100k miles on it, one day on the interstate.
Bird now has almost 111k miles on it, and every once in awhile it still does this. Just went to the track in December, and it ran like it usually does.
What's up with that?
Btw, Trans fluid changed twice again by a tech friend at Chevy dealer between 97k & 105K miles. The last one with a filter too. Tech Says he/anyone there never heard of this issue with these A4 tranny's.
Crazy right? any ideas? Car shifts normal & lazy around town, and hard & proper at wot.
Only 13.65-13.75 et @101 mph. *Stock with Factory Ram Air Hood & Box w/K&N filter, a Spintech Muffler & 3.23's.
What gives? Any ideas?
Thanks for your ideas / acknowledgment in advance. Rick

Last edited by RapidRick; 04-27-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: bold fonts
Old 04-27-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like its slipping. the 3-4 is known to be pretty weak and will usually start to go before the other clutches in the trans. Mine did the exact same thing and it got worse and worse and heated up more and more. I went and got a whole new trans with a stall to replace it.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response. Difference here is that this is going on for 20k+ miles every once in awhile, and only after driving on an Interstate or Parkway nonstop for some miles....