LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech-4/)
-   -   So i've installed an FTRA today... (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/925363-so-ive-installed-ftra-today.html)

black_phoenix 05-22-2008 10:46 PM

So i've installed an FTRA today...

And the car did not seem to respond to it, the car still pulls the same...
Maybe when i install a high flow MAF and a ported TB next thursday, the car will pull harder...

just wanted to share the info with you guys...

quadd2244 05-22-2008 10:54 PM

Ive been thinking about installing one of these as well. A buddie of mine said he picked up 3 tenths and 2mph but I think the weather had alot to do with it but who knows. They say its always worth something

black_phoenix 05-22-2008 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by quadd2244 (Post 9417801)
Ive been thinking about installing one of these as well. A buddie of mine said he picked up 3 tenths and 2mph but I think the weather had alot to do with it but who knows. They say its always worth something

man, if i knew how much trouble i'd go through installing it, i would not get it...

slayerized6 05-23-2008 01:14 AM

how long did the install take?

black_phoenix 05-23-2008 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by slayerized6 (Post 9418282)
how long did the install take?

i'm sort of a newb, but with all the sawing and trying to take off that damn ac deflector piece of shit, it took around 2 hours...

Sunset'01Z 05-23-2008 08:12 PM

mine had one on it when i bought it, so no worries here. I have considered taking it off due to it blocking the radiator and living in TX it gets really hot.

nor-texLS1 05-24-2008 03:33 AM

its really not that hard to install...

kct385 05-24-2008 03:58 AM

Did you do the free ram air mod beforehand? Or did you go straight from stock to the FTRA? Also have you noticed your engine running any warmer with it installed?

james562 05-24-2008 07:08 AM

You will be hard pressed to feel the gains of the FTRA on the street however at the track you should knock a tenth off or so

BTW save your money on buying or porting your MAF its a waste of time and will make it a bitch to tune the car in the future. Most tuners will tell you to go buy a stocker before they'll touch your car because they can't get accurate readings off a ported one...

Porting your TB is a great idea and is usually good for a solid 3-6RWHP gain and noticeble throttle response

Justin00SS 05-24-2008 07:10 AM

Even if you don't port your tb at least.......AT LEAST........grind the stopper that stops the fly valve from opening all the way. The throttle response is work the 5 min. work. :)

Kingc8r 05-24-2008 05:04 PM

Hmmm, when I installed my FTRA it tooks maybe 30 mins and I'm no mechanic. But I did the Free Ram Air already. I felt a slight pull up top. I would say it's worth a tenth or two and ever little bit counts

Chase22 05-24-2008 08:51 PM

ever since I installed it, I hear a little whining sound when i accelerate. Anyone else get this

01ssreda4 05-24-2008 09:15 PM

being that temps get 100 degrees here in louisiana. i want the air going through my radiator....and tranny cooler and condensor.

black_phoenix 05-25-2008 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by kct385 (Post 9424008)
Did you do the free ram air mod beforehand? Or did you go straight from stock to the FTRA? Also have you noticed your engine running any warmer with it installed?

I have a lid, but rest was stock... After i installed i just took it out (after a good warm up) and drove it around a block. Drove it hard ,lol... But since then i havent driven the car and it just sits in a garage... Tomorrow i'll drive it and see if it is running warmer...

black_phoenix 05-25-2008 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by nor-texLS1 (Post 9423984)
its really not that hard to install...

dude, i'm not gonna lie, it was a bit challenging, not having proper tools and all....

black_phoenix 05-25-2008 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by james562 (Post 9424172)
You will be hard pressed to feel the gains of the FTRA on the street however at the track you should knock a tenth off or so

BTW save your money on buying or porting your MAF its a waste of time and will make it a bitch to tune the car in the future. Most tuners will tell you to go buy a stocker before they'll touch your car because they can't get accurate readings off a ported one...

Porting your TB is a great idea and is usually good for a solid 3-6RWHP gain and noticeble throttle response

I already have a MAF and Ported TB and just waiting for a day off from work to install it...

Louie83 05-25-2008 01:20 AM

I doubt anyone could "feel" a mod that gained them 10 or so HP. That's like a 3 percent increase in power, hence, difficult to feel.

With free ram air combined with the fast toys ram air, the intent is to shove a little more air in the intake at HIGH SPEEDS. Even if you could perceive a 10 HP increase, this one doesn't really start to add anything until you are at highway speeds.

foreverzero 05-25-2008 08:22 AM

take it to the track, see if you notice a difference, you might be surprised

Pinky93 05-25-2008 08:29 AM

I did the following mods to my 02' SS in this order:
* 160 degree thermostat
* K&N FIPK
* SLP Loudmouth
* SLP Cold air induction
Once I did the SLP CAI, I guess this really woke the car up with the other mods. I could honestly feel a seat of the pants difference. Then I did the Diablo Predator generic tune and it repsonded well. For a bolt on car, I was happy with it for sure.

Keep in mind, try to do mods that will compliment other mods you have done, or are going to do. In the end, you will be very happy!

Kingc8r 05-25-2008 04:45 PM

I could see the difference because I hit a spot on the onramp at my house quicker at a higher mph than I did before the FTRA.

As others have said you wont feel the effect until WOT and highway speeds