Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header research...

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red face Header research...

I have a 2000 TA Ls1 and i'm looking for headers. From previous posts i have learned that shorties are a waste of time. And i'm not sure about long tubes due to e-check, difficulty with install (since all i have is a driveway and jackstands, if ya feel me!), and clearance issues because i plan to lower the car up to 2in. So does anyone have any input on the MAC midlength headers And would they be worth it for what i'm looking to do? I have heard more good things than bad. Also are they available for '00 to '02 LS1? Thanks again for you help!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you learned that shorties are worthless, but you missed the point. Only longtubes are really worth the time.

There's high-priced stainless steel headers that will last for 100 years, Kooks and QTP (I have QTP). American Racing Headers very recently became very popular on this site as well. Or, cheap ones like Pacesetter that you can but already coated. Make sure to get them coated if you go that route, because they also come un-coated.

There is a small debate about wether high-priced headers make any more power than budget ones. Most (including me) believe that they don't. I almost didn't even include this as the argument for high dollar headers making more power is so shaky.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

You'll be better off with the cheapest long tubes you can find if you're going to lower it two inches. One big pothole or manhole cover and they're done.
I have pacesetters with stock ride height, look under my car and the first thing that jumps out is the passenger side primary tube.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Ya see, i don't want to worry about that when i lower it. My buddy took his header off on a speed bump with his 94 TA which was lowered 2in. I'm hoping to avoid that if at all possible. heh heh
Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
You'll be better off with the cheapest long tubes you can find if you're going to lower it two inches. One big pothole or manhole cover and they're done.
I have pacesetters with stock ride height, look under my car and the first thing that jumps out is the passenger side primary tube.
Same for me. my kooks passenger primary tube is huge. im lowered 1 inch and way too afraid to go any more
Old 06-03-2008, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
As a matter of fact ( i only had stock headers)..but my 96' z28 w/ an eibach spring kit (lowered of course), hit the railroad tracks going 20-25mph broke two bolts and was hanging (scratched to hell, sparks flying ect....) Now in my 02' Z28, Im going to go with armor coated PaceSetters, and i can almost guarantee that them vs. the "best" (700+$$ kooks, or whatever) wont be over a 2-4rwhp difference
Old 06-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shorties are minimal gains. There are plenty of people with them on their cars so you can find results by a search for them. 2" is a lot to lower so you definately dont want anything hanging out the bottom.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I would also look at Hooker headers. Speedtweekerz sells them Ceramic Coated for like 379 which is what I went with. As other's have said don't even both with shorties or mids....
Old 06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Banned

The advantage to shorties that should be ponted out is that they allow you to keep your cats in the stock location. This is important to people in states like Cali with visual inspections.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:44 PM
11 Second Club

^ some smog shops will let you get away with that setup. I've been told no way on the visual when my cats were moved from their stock location.....
Old 06-04-2008, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Eh I just pay for my smog if you know what I mean. A couple shops refused my old cars because of the altered location of my cats....though
Old 06-04-2008, 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

I'm moving to Arizona soon so I won't have to worry about the California Smog ***** as much....since AZ is a little more lax and I can just register my car in a county that doesn't have smog
Old 06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
I'm moving to Arizona soon so I won't have to worry about the California Smog ***** as much....since AZ is a little more lax and I can just register my car in a county that doesn't have smog

LOL, we have people do that around here. Work fine as long as you don't get caught...LOL

Its cheaper to register you car in Oregon than Washington so people do teh same thing. reigter heree and live there. So what the state did to recover lost revunues was hav the police take note. Drive to work with Oregon plate while you live in Washington was an easy but for the cops.

SO the moral is its fine until you get caught!

Its your choice, I wont advocate breaking the law, even if I do it myself.
LOL