New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm really sorry for being NOOB......

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm really sorry for being NOOB......

but i still to this day do not know what a stall converter is. i know its a sin, but ever since i got heavily into the car this ive only had to dead with manual cars. please help me, why is this beneficial? what does it do?
Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stall converter is Complicated to explain how it really works.. Try the search..

In a A4 car it will put the car in the given powerband of the stall size.. You can put a verter in a stock car.. but it really makes the car come alive with A cam that begs you to put it in the given powerband of your stall..

Stalls are neat.. If you dont have one.. get one.. If your transmission is stock, and hasn't exploded already.. Chances are it will soon with a verter.. Make sure you run A cooler..!!

Try a search for more info!
Old 06-25-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

my cars manual. i dont need one i just wanna know what it did lol thanks!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

best way i can explain it... since you are used to manuals, take your car out and release the clutch in first at 1000 rpm and then punch it... now release the clutch at about 3500 rpm and punch it, feel the difference? thats basically what a stall does, its like dumping the clutch at a higher rpm, its really good for performance.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

A verter is a fluid coupling to the drive line. I a manual it is gears and clutch. A vert looks like a jet engine. Hyd fluid is pumped into and that make the output shaft turn. it gives differant drive ratios when you get a small one or bigger one. The small they are the higher the speed before it turns the output shaft. So a small one will go right to 3500 and get the car going. The bad thing is it wants to do it all the time. It sure will wake up a A4 car.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Another noob question, what is footbraking a car?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SamW
If it's another term for powerbraking, then I assume it's simply holding down partial throttle with the brake fully applied.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Teching In

OK, thanks
Old 06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Footbraking the car is launching it while holding the gas and the brake at the same time.

Step 1: press brake
Step 2: press gas to desired rpm
Step 3: Mash gas and let off brake quickly at the same time
Old 06-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SpaZMaN
Footbraking the car is launching it while holding the gas and the brake at the same time.

Step 1: press brake
Step 2: press gas to desired rpm
Step 3: Mash gas and let off brake quickly at the same time
Alright, another noob question. Why would the stall speed/convertor matter if you're footbraking the car?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, another noob question. Why would the stall speed/convertor matter if you're footbraking the car?
because the converter can actually rev up higher with a higher stall without pushing the car through its brakes. it also "flashes" the converter to a higher rpm when you punch it, making the rpms clime faster.

in my 406 bu I had to go with a lower stall converter because with the NO2 it was slipping, but the car is MUCH slower with the tighter converter on an all motor pass, with the NO2 it'll still artificially flash the converter with the new converter I cant get the rpms up as much as i could with the other one when footbraking (about 500- 1000 rpm difference) because the front tires, while locked up, wouldnt hold the car, it would push through the beams at the strip.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 406malibu
best way i can explain it... since you are used to manuals, take your car out and release the clutch in first at 1000 rpm and then punch it... now release the clutch at about 3500 rpm and punch it, feel the difference? thats basically what a stall does, its like dumping the clutch at a higher rpm, its really good for performance.
in other words just **** the clutch up
Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu
because the converter can actually rev up higher with a higher stall without pushing the car through its brakes. it also "flashes" the converter to a higher rpm when you punch it, making the rpms clime faster.

in my 406 bu I had to go with a lower stall converter because with the NO2 it was slipping, but the car is MUCH slower with the tighter converter on an all motor pass, with the NO2 it'll still artificially flash the converter with the new converter I cant get the rpms up as much as i could with the other one when footbraking (about 500- 1000 rpm difference) because the front tires, while locked up, wouldnt hold the car, it would push through the beams at the strip.
Ah, alright thanks.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gc302047
in other words just **** the clutch up
umm... no, dumping your clutch at 3500, while not great for it, will not **** it up. I was trying to give an explanation to someone that is only used to 6 speed cars. slowly releasing your clutch or riding your clutch will do MUCH more damage.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah, alright thanks.
No problem thats what the sites for, sharing info
Old 06-25-2008, 11:42 PM
Launching!

after some searching, i'm still unsure of what exactly tighter or looser stall means? not meaning to jack your threat OP but it's one thing i'm not knowledgeable at either.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wtomlinson
after some searching, i'm still unsure of what exactly tighter or looser stall means? not meaning to jack your threat OP but it's one thing i'm not knowledgeable at either.
read above posts... tighter stall means the converter starts to "catch" or start to move the car at a lower RPM, while a loose converter will let the engine spin up to a higher RPM before it puts the power to the ground, effectively keeping the car in the power band. a loose converter is just that... loose, takes more spinning before it finally grabs, kinda feels like a manual car with a slipping clutch when you ease into it. but when you flash the converter (stomp the gas) it really knocks ya on your ***

does that help?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here is a nice video to show what an aftermarket converter will do.

http://lsx.streetfire.net/video/73b2...f000326214.htm

Pay attention to the required amount of rpm's when driving normally as well as how fast the rpm's climb once he punches it.

At the end of the video you will see that you can brake stall a car with an aftermarket converter much higher than stock.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JScamaro
Here is a nice video to show what an aftermarket converter will do.

http://lsx.streetfire.net/video/73b2...f000326214.htm

Pay attention to the required amount of rpm's when driving normally as well as how fast the rpm's climb once he punches it.

At the end of the video you will see that you can brake stall a car with an aftermarket converter much higher than stock.
good depiction at the end... its hard to describe, seeing it should help some people. lol try foot braking to 3k rpm on a stock converter w/o the car movin, or spinning the tires HAHA that should give ya an idea
Old 06-26-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, now what does locked and unlocked mean on the converter