Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to replace in stock heads? Trying to eliminate "ticking sounds"

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to replace in stock heads? Trying to eliminate "ticking sounds"

I am new to internal engine stuff. I have a ticking noise that may be a lifter or pushrod, from what I have been told. I plan on getting a drivable cam later on next year, but I want to go ahead and replace whatever parts in my heads that is suggested with a new cam. This is all in hopes to get rid of my ticking noise and upgrade some internals for a cam that will come in the future. Can someoen give me a rundown of what kind, what parts, prices, etc. of what I should upgrade or replace in my heads. The car is an 00 WS6 75K miles bolt on car. Anyone have any idea of what kind of money a shop will charge to replace this stuff for me?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cvaught
I am new to internal engine stuff. I have a ticking noise that may be a lifter or pushrod, from what I have been told. I plan on getting a drivable cam later on next year, but I want to go ahead and replace whatever parts in my heads that is suggested with a new cam. This is all in hopes to get rid of my ticking noise and upgrade some internals for a cam that will come in the future. Can someoen give me a rundown of what kind, what parts, prices, etc. of what I should upgrade or replace in my heads. The car is an 00 WS6 75K miles bolt on car. Anyone have any idea of what kind of money a shop will charge to replace this stuff for me?
ticking noise could just be piston slap, and there isnt much you can do about that. does the noise go away when it gets warm?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nope, get a nice set of roller rockers and it really quiets everything down,or atleast it did on my car and a bunch of other fbodies around my area....
Old 07-13-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

I know this is stupid, but I like the stock GM engine sound. It's just loud a clacks all over the place.

But if you do open the engine up use better than stock internals.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The whole reason I do not think its piston slap is because it is still there even after the engine has warmed up. It isn't there at all for like the first 10 seconds of start up, but then it gets loud and after she heats up a bit, it quiets down a little. When I am sitting next to a building I can hear the ticking sound off the side of the building well after the car has warmed up.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm right there with ya man. I checked out the rockers and the pushrods on mine and all is good but still ticking... I'm thinking lifter myself. Unfortunately it looks like you have to pull heads to swap lifters. Does the ticking sound like it's coming from below the intake or just under the valve cover?
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think you have to remove the heads to change lifters. You do have to remove the intake manifold, but not the heads. I have never done lifters on a lsx, but on every other v8 i have worked on it wasn't necessary. No matter what you do, pushrod engines are a little noisy. I dont mind it, because its the nature of the beast.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I honestly can't pinpoint where the sound is coming from. I have tried and tried but its just too hard to tell.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

If it is a lifter then the heads unfortunatly will have to come off. But it might be something else so don't take my word for it. Check out the link for pics on the inside of the motor.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com.../photo_54.html

I'm learning about this for the first time too. Might want to take her to a couple of shops and ask a mechanic to have a listen.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you rev the engine, will the sound get louder? or does it rev up and sound normal?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

it sounds more like your talking about low oil preasure due to the o ring on the oil pump and pick-up assembly. it was a factory problem that i am pretty sure acknowledged by gm and a replacement o ring is used now. my truck (5.3 silverado) does this but doesn't affect anything, just a little noise at idle.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

my car ticks sometimes also. its an 02SS but i cant seem to locate exactly where the noise comes from. mine only does it once in awhile tho and also doesnt seem to do it at all when its revs are above idle
Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

more often then not, what sounds like a lifter noise is actually the start of a small exhaust leak. the start of a header/manifold leak will fool just about anyone into thinking this till it gets worse. there is anouther thread floating around here where a guy was about to pull his head and find a mechanical problem and i tried to convince him other wise with no luck. well when he started to pull the he head as he was taking the plugs out he found one about to fall out.lol it was an exhuast leak, just not out the exhaust.lol from around the plug. check this out very closly befor diving in and spending useless money. unless your lifter have ton of miles, useually all you need are some hardend pushrods and proper springs for a cam install. let us know how it turns out. like stated above, big cam pushrod motors are suposed to make noise, its just the nature of the brute.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
more often then not, what sounds like a lifter noise is actually the start of a small exhaust leak. the start of a header/manifold leak will fool just about anyone into thinking this till it gets worse.
That's exactly what happened on my dad's El Camino. It turned out to be a bad gasket where the manifolds meet the head.

To help pinpoint sounds you can use a stethoscope with a dowel in the tube part. You just put the end of the dowel on any hard surface on the engine and you should be able to tell of you are close to the source of the sound. Or, if you're looking for exhaust leaks, you can just leave the tube open and move it around by the manifolds. The air escaping will be easily heard once you get the stethoscope in the right place. <-- That's how we found the leak on the El Camino.

You don't have to invest much in the stethoscope either... I think ours is actually a kids toy... Anything with a tube that goes to your ear would probably work, you could maybe even use just a piece of small-ish rubber tubing...
Old 07-15-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, sometimes they can be a bitch to detect even with a good ear. when they blow to the bottem of one of the rear tubes are hard to get a stephoscope too. tho you should be able to tell a differance from one tube to the next even if it is on the bottem
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 99345hp
I don't think you have to remove the heads to change lifters. You do have to remove the intake manifold, but not the heads. I have never done lifters on a lsx, but on every other v8 i have worked on it wasn't necessary. No matter what you do, pushrod engines are a little noisy. I dont mind it, because its the nature of the beast.

Have to pull the heads on LS motors, it sucks, most pushrod you dont but LS you do.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 99345hp

Have to pull the heads on LS motors, it sucks, most pushrod you dont but LS you do.

Original Poster: On the tick sound, good luck, its considered normal on LS motors, yours sounds a little over average though.