Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t-56 fluid and diff fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-56 fluid and diff fluid?

just wonderin how to change the fluid on my tranny and wonderin the if there is any synthetics. also wonderin if 80/90 wt is good for the diff?
Old 07-23-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

on the tranny there is a drain plug and a fill plug... they are both 3/8 plugs so you should just be able to put the end of a socket wrench in there and loosen them... i take the fill plug out first then put a pan under the drain plug then pull it out... once its done draining put a dab of high temp sealant (the orange stuff) around the threads of the drain plug and tighten it up... then fill the tranny up until it starts to dribble out of the fill hole... it should take about 4 quarts... then put a dab of sealant on the fill plug and tighten it up... on the diff just put a pan under it and loosen all the bolts that hold the cover on... its easier for me to take the ones near the bottom out first then the top ones but whatever works for you... the fluid will pretty much pour everywhere... once you get the cover off clean the inside of it with brake cleaner and clean the mating surface for the cover also... i just use high temp sealant when putting the cover back on but some use a gasket and some use a gasket and sealant so this is your preference... once you decide what you want to go with put the cover back on and get all the bolts started then tighten them down in a star pattern as you would on wheel lugnuts... if you use high temp sealant its best to let it sit for a day until you put fluid in it so it can settle... after that you can start putting the fluid in... take the fill plug out and just fill it up until it starts coming out of the fill hole then a dab of sealant on the plug and tighten it up and you should be good to go... on fluids i use mobil1 atf for the trans and mobil1 75/90 plus the gm additive for the diff
Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Default thanks

thanks that helps out alot. I heard there some different brand of atf thats is good to. thanks again.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad bouse
just wonderin how to change the fluid on my tranny and wonderin the if there is any synthetics. also wonderin if 80/90 wt is good for the diff?
Check this page out bud

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/lubeoil.htm
Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Don't Forget The Additive For The Diff!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad bouse
thanks that helps out alot. I heard there some different brand of atf thats is good to. thanks again.
I used Castrol Dexron/Mercon. Says it is used where ever Dexron III was called for. My tranny did shift noticeably better. I'm sure other brands would work ok, too. I used a liquid transfer pump, 12 bucks at Autozone, because the tranny fill hole is kind of high up.

it took longer to run the front wheels up on ramps, then jack up the back end and put jackstands under there, than it did to actually change the tranny fluid. You want to make sure the car is level, so you get a correct fluid level reading.

Haven't done the rear end yet.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a R.E. gasket from the Stealership when you get the additive. It was only $7 and IMO seals better and cleans up easier at the next change.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
Banned

use syncomesh, best fluid by far, kinda pricy tho $8 a quort. and for the diff i used royal purple full synthetic 75w-90
Old 07-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default fluid

will mercon v suffice? it doesn,'t say anything about dexron III only says dexron and also says it will work on gm 2005 and down.