Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detonation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Detonation...

I went out and did a little playing around in traffic with some friends tonight. The air was cool, yet I kept hearing detonation at the top of every gear change. Why? I run noting but 93 octane and the car is stock save for the following mods: SLP lid, FRA, MAF screen removed, NGK TR55's gapped @ .052", TB hot water bypass, EGR tube trimmed.

What am I doing wrong? I know that this detonation can't be good for the motor or performance. What can I do to cure this? Right now opinions seem to range from the MAF screen being out causing it to "Oh don't worry - they all do that." The latter being a totally unacceptable answer.

TIA
Old 08-24-2003, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Detonation...

Probably MAF,,, guy dynoed new 02 Z awhile back, with only lid and aftermarket MAF and had detonation at the top of first gear, my lt1 ran better after i put the factory screen and ends back in,, my cousins ls1 ran better as well with the factory ends and screen instead of the slp MAF
Old 08-24-2003, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Detonation...

It's worth a try, luckily I didn't destroy the stock screen when I took it out. I dug a little deeper here w/ the search feature, and did a little reading over at LS1.com - a few people mentioned how they got rid of, or had less detonation when they got rid of the cats. That sounds odd, usually removing the cats will lean a car w/ stock programming. However... an off road y-pipe w/ 02 simms was going to be one of my next mods. I guess I'll wait and see how it goes.