LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech-4/)
-   -   Ws6 Broke? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/992501-ws6-broke.html)

01FireTurd 09-26-2008 08:47 AM

Ws6 Broke?

So my buddy has a 2000 ws6 and about a week ago we got a shit load of rain. Well one night he drove through a little bit of water not very deep, but his car is a lowered t/a, well anyway it stalled out and when he came back to start it his starter was hanging off with a small chunk of the block. The shop he took it to said it was "vapor locked" and he is getting a new engine. I know vapor lock is just the fuel turning to vapor in the lines and hard to start. What do u guys think?

chevrunner21 09-26-2008 01:10 PM

im pretty sure vapor lock is just when you get water in the engine and the engine seizes because water cant be compressed.(according to the difinitions online im wrong but thats always what i thought vapor locked was) does your friend have a ram air?(not hood, something like the ftra or slp unit) I guess its vapor lock causes the engine to seize. basically he got water into his motor which pulled the trigger on it lol. I daily drive my ws6 and i've hit floods thats why i will never do an aftermarket ram air.

406malibu 09-26-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by chevrunner21 (Post 10180467)
im pretty sure vapor lock is just when you get water in the engine and the engine seizes because water cant be compressed.(according to the difinitions online im wrong but thats always what i thought vapor locked was) does your friend have a ram air?(not hood, something like the ftra or slp unit) I guess its vapor lock causes the engine to seize. basically he got water into his motor which pulled the trigger on it lol. I daily drive my ws6 and i've hit floods thats why i will never do an aftermarket ram air.

thats hydrolock, to the op, are you sure thats not what he has?

chevrunner21 09-26-2008 01:46 PM

there you go idk why i couldnt think of it. him talkin about water and lock mixed me up lol. it sounds like he hydro locked it to me.

AznMuscle 09-26-2008 02:15 PM

Sounds like hydrolock. I had a motor blow up 2 weeks after getting it stuck in a big ass mud pit (2.5l ranger). Water was shooting from the exhaust all the way home, then just driving it slowly 2 weeks later, boom. Rod shot.

01FireTurd 09-29-2008 06:15 AM

He said he could buy the old engine back from the insurance company. what would it be worth?????

Black FormulaLs1 09-29-2008 06:41 AM

depends on the intake, heads...if anything was done to it..and HOW MUCH the INSURANCE company actually wants for the damn thing...space heads and accessories are always nice!!

twitchtwice 09-29-2008 09:54 AM

i dont htink the insurance company will know it has mods on it.

the_merv 09-29-2008 10:10 AM

I'm willing to bet the Block had a Rod through the side.. every Hydro-locked LS1 I've ever seen has done that..just what they do.