Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Ram Air Mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Free Ram Air Mod

I was wondering if anyone has done the free ram air mod that is described in the mod section of ls1.com. I was thinking about doing it because the theory behind it is good. The only thing im wondering is what I should cut the bottom of the airbox out with. That is some of the hardest plastic if had to cut in a long time. Did anyone notice any performance gains from doing this mod. Then I plan on doing the EGR mod and was wondering if anyone noticed any performance gains from that. Are there any risks involved with doing these mods. Besides the EGR O-Ring falling into my intake. Thanks in advance I did all the free mods on my old 91 formula with the TBI and I want to do them on my new LS1 to.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:51 AM
10 Second Club

Default Re: Free Ram Air Mod

The free ram air mod is easy, what I did was got a drill, drilled a hole, then used a hacksaw to cut the plastic, I took the blade off, put it through the hole, then reassembled the hacksaw with the blade through the hole and then cut it. know what I mean? Do the EGR, throttle body bypass, port your throttle and u will be good to go.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did the ram air mod with a good pair of tin snips and a dremal with a cut off wheel. noticed a slight gain the good part about it is you decide later you want to get a ram air kit like the one by fast toys you have the hardest part of the project done already.and you will notice a diffrence with the ram air kit
as far as the mass air screen i say leave it... your really not going to notice the gain and its a fail safe if for any reason somthing goes wrong in your air box the screen will keep any large particals from getting in.... but i tend to be conservitive with my projects i dont like puting my engine in harms way. that and i have asked around and gotten conflicting info. some say de-screening throws coads others say theres were uneffected.
just the oppinion from my end of the world.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:28 PM
10 Second Club

Interesting to see the free ram air mod mentioned. It used to be a really popular mod, but has just about disappeared now. I think a lot of people who had it done ended up blocking it off because they realized it was sucking hot radiator air into the motor in the staging lanes or something like that. I don't remember exactly.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jorday
Interesting to see the free ram air mod mentioned. It used to be a really popular mod, but has just about disappeared now. I think a lot of people who had it done ended up blocking it off because they realized it was sucking hot radiator air into the motor in the staging lanes or something like that. I don't remember exactly.
FRA is a good mod. I don't see how it could be sucking hot radiator air into the motor because it pulls from in front of the radiator.

Steve
Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
I was wondering if anyone has done the free ram air mod that is described in the mod section of ls1.com. I was thinking about doing it because the theory behind it is good. The only thing im wondering is what I should cut the bottom of the airbox out with. That is some of the hardest plastic if had to cut in a long time. Did anyone notice any performance gains from doing this mod. Then I plan on doing the EGR mod and was wondering if anyone noticed any performance gains from that. Are there any risks involved with doing these mods. Besides the EGR O-Ring falling into my intake. Thanks in advance I did all the free mods on my old 91 formula with the TBI and I want to do them on my new LS1 to.

imo dont do it, all your doing is sucking in heat from the engine, and getting your filter dirty.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just open up the front of the factory airbox. You know, that long thin slot it draws the air in? I opened mine up with a mini hacksaw, including the tray inside. make sure to leave the center support and enough material to support the filter for a good seal. I also use a K&N because its not as thick as the paper filter (more area underneath), almost doubled the size of the opening and doesn't get dirty any quicker than stock. There is plenty of cool air where the factory inlet is.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:31 AM
11 Second Club

see what I mean
Attached Thumbnails Free Ram Air Mod-lining-z28-6-20-07-011.jpg  
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that looks good i wish i woulda done that instead of cutting out the bottom
i'd bet that works real nice witha ss hood
Old 06-20-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My personal how to site.

http://nitch.us/id25.htm
Old 06-20-2007, 10:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
imo dont do it, all your doing is sucking in heat from the engine, and getting your filter dirty.
tell that to the thousands of LS1 owners who have done it.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Listen up guys the FRA mod is only pulling in warm air at idle or parking lot speeds. Once you get moving it pulls in cool air from in front of the A/C condensor. It's not a bad mod at all, it actually seemed to work better than debaffling my R/A hood.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

A cut off wheel is the best. BE CAREFULL! I bought my Z from a dealership so I have NO idea who had the car before me, but he attempted the free ram-air mod and did a total hack job! It looked like he tried a hot butter knife and just wittled away for about a week!

When I bought the metal air duct from SLP (kind of a waste of money I think) I had a hell of a time getting it to fit properly and the lid was rubbing because of the hack and slash some kid did on the air box.

If you cut the box, just make sure you do a nice clean job.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only on LS1TECH can we breathe life back into a 4 year old thread without complaints.

i use hptuners and have monitored my incoming air temperature/volume before and after doing the FRA mod on my SS.

at first i was not intending to do the FRA mod because i figured that i had a ram air hood that was force feeding cool air.
what i noticed was that my incoming air temperature was generally 20+ degrees over ambient temperature. it would take close to 30 minutes of driving to get the intake air temp to drop more than 5 degrees on average. apparently GM did not account for heatsoak problems and stylish functional hood was acting like some sort of interheater. when i took notice to the problem, i watched the incoming air temp over longer, faster drives. i noticed that there wasn't a measurable increase of air volume (g/cyl) close to redline in 3rd gear (around 125mph) than close to redline in 2nd gear (around 75mph). i decided that the ram air hood needed a little help.

after doing the FRA mod, my incoming air temperature quickly drops when the car gets moving. where my IAT would register 90 degrees, it now is around 70 degrees after the FRA mod.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

It works great IMO, I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
only on LS1TECH can we breathe life back into a 4 year old thread without complaints.
LOL, I never even paid attention to the original date on this?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

I did it, nothing noticeable though. I was bored mostly.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waldershrek
+1 Oops!
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waldershrek
I think this mod is worth it....jmo Wow, this thread is old...lol
Old 06-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

So your cutting the bottom of the air box?

Quick Reply: Free Ram Air Mod