Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged stroker LS not built for nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Forged stroker LS not built for nitrous

Hey guys, first nitrous question here. I have read, searched and heave a good understanding of nitrous and it uses and have used it in non LS motors before but looking for some opinions.

I, as many have, started building a car and during the build it have changed its purpose many times. I have a 2700lb with driver 72 Vega big tire bracket car. It has a Gen I SBC with power glide trans and does high 10's. I have a L92 416 stroker built for it going in this winter. With the weight drop of the LS motor I was thinking I could be at 2600lb with me in it and could pull off high 9's on pump gas this year. Now this sounds great right. Big tire light car, pump gas for bracket racing. Sounds good to me. Well my buddy got a bug in my ear about running in the DR class at Milan this year with it(New weight rules sbc/nitrous @ 2600lb) . I would have to change a few things about the car to make it fit the class and I would get my *** handed to me by the faster cars but it is possible if I spray into it I could at least make the show which would rock. I figured I would bracket on motor on Sundays and let her rip on nitrous one weekend a month (beside practice and tuning)

My real question is how much can a forged motor take safely without being built for nitrous specifically. I don't have large ring gaps or extra think ring lands or anything like that. With a good turn and safe timing I figured it has to be able to handle a good jolt of juice once a month.

L92 416 11:1 comp
JE pistons, Howards rods, Callies crank.
Head studs but stock caps and bolts.

I think if it could handle a 200 hit that little 2600lb ride could be pretty fun and I might make the tale end of the group. (Buddy told me 275 but that scars me a bit)

What would you spray into this motor without being build for nitrous specifically if it was yours?
Old 12-14-2008, 07:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ring gap would be the largest problematic area. With the added cylinder pressure you might end up butting the rings. If you want to be competetive aka larger shot I would rering with a good file to fit ring.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems I see a good number of people spraying 150 or more on a motor that isn't gapped for nitrous. I'm not shooting for the moon but what would other think would be safe to run on my setup. Even a smallish shot should get my little buggy moving pretty good. Maybe I will stick to bracketing and just play with nitrous for fun here and there.