Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solenoid to plate nitrous line length????

Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Solenoid to plate nitrous line length????

I'm in the process of installing a HSW brute force wet plate kit and on the instructions list of parts it says that the lines should be 20" and yet all 3 lines supplied are all different lengths???? How will this affect the system? I don't want nitrous to hit before fuel now do I want fuel to hit before nitrous. Why did I getsifferent length lines and will it pose a problem?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want the nitrous line to be longer than the fuel line. A plate is different then a nozzle in that its not a direct shot to the discharge points. Interally the plate has passageways which then connect to the discharge points. If line lengths were the same, the nitrous would easily reach those points before the fuel does, this is where a lean spike is created. Using unequal length lines we can control the nitrous to discharge when the fuel does. Its simple physics and is unavoidable, not a problem with the product. Think of two 4AN lines that are 100 feet long, which will reach the end soon, nitrous or fuel?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

To go along with his question what should the line length difference be between the 2 solenoids?
Also what is considered to long of a line from the solenoid to a plate kit? I am trying to mount my solenoids on the radiator support but I am afraid the lines will be to long to get a quick reaction when activated.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ im wondering this also...wanted to mount mine in the same location
Old 05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lrry93
To go along with his question what should the line length difference be between the 2 solenoids?
Also what is considered to long of a line from the solenoid to a plate kit? I am trying to mount my solenoids on the radiator support but I am afraid the lines will be to long to get a quick reaction when activated.
Giving a specific line length not knowing what kit you run, and will leave it to HSW anyhow. But yes, the longer the line lenght the softer the hit, or rather it will be micro seconds later than a close mount. I used to use line lenght as a poor mans window switch on dry hits, it can delay a hit long enough to make a difference that is for sure. An exact equation, I don't have one, but it could be figured out easily enough.
Robert
Old 05-29-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same thing with my 78mm plate kit. Going by what HSW says, it's pretty much supposed to be like that. I was only concerned because the instructions did say 20" lines. The fuel line is 17" and the nitrous line is 28". As long as it works, I don't care.

This is an older picture, the solenoids are now flipped.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:22 AM
FormerVendor

are you running our plate or another product?

We have our own in house dyno for testing purposes. Several cars spent months on there trying to get the exact combinations dialed it. Unlike other companies who just release products without testing, we spent hundreds of hours on it.

The other options you guys would have to combat a lean spike on any product would be to run the microedge controller. It has built in delays for the nitrous solenoid. This allows the fuel a chance to flood the line and passage ways before the nitrous comes on.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
are you running our plate or another product?

We have our own in house dyno for testing purposes. Several cars spent months on there trying to get the exact combinations dialed it. Unlike other companies who just release products without testing, we spent hundreds of hours on it.

The other options you guys would have to combat a lean spike on any product would be to run the microedge controller. It has built in delays for the nitrous solenoid. This allows the fuel a chance to flood the line and passage ways before the nitrous comes on.
Im running a N2O outlet plate. I will check out the microedge. Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im running a N2O outlet plate. I will check out the microedge. Thanks
Due to the design of our plate we do not have any flow restrictions in our plate creating a need for sending out our system with different lenth hoses to band aid a flow restriction on the fuel flow compared to the Nitrous flow.

Our plate design is by far the best flowing plate on the market. We spent over year in product development and real world testing with our plate. The end result is the best flowing plate design on the market. Out of all the designs we created there ios a perfectly good reason why our plate is designed the way it is.

Our plate systems come standard with 2 foot hoses from the solenoids to the plate. In the event for some reason you have a lean spike we suggest making sure it is not caused from a drop in fuel pressure due to over taxing the fuel pump. If fuel pressure stays solid you can then shorten the fuel feed hose.

Yes I have seen some applications that needed a shorter fuel hose to tune out a spike but 99 percent of applications did not. So if we sent it with a shorter fuel hose there would be a rich spike and bog causing a loss in power instead.

As to running the fuel and nitrous seperate on different sides of an electronic controller we do not suggest or aprove of doing this. Doing this places each solenoid on different circuits. If one cercuit were to burn out or fail or one solenoid connection failed it could lead to engine failure due to one solenoid still working. YES It could happen so why take the risk if you do not have to..

Dave
Old 06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by C Murda
^^^ im wondering this also...wanted to mount mine in the same location
Shoot me or Mike an email of where you're looking to mount them w/ a picture if possible and we will be more than happy to help you out.

nicholas@harrisspeedworks.com

Nick
Old 06-09-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Another way to combat the activation lean spike issue related to all wet kits is to go DRY, lol, just couldn't resist. Normally a lean spike at activation of under 1/2 second is considered by most a no concern. however, to me, looking at the torque increase at activation if there is a way to eliminate a lean spike I would and do do it.

Just for clarification, as far as i know, running the MicroEdge and delaying the nitrous does not cause any issues, that's what is nice about high tech electronics. Also, if the lean spike is small, yo can also program a lean out delay so the a/f shut down safety feature will not kill your system. Anyway you look at it, having more than one option to cure a problem inherent with all wet kits, in a single kit, is always better.
Robert
Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
You want the nitrous line to be longer than the fuel line. A plate is different then a nozzle in that its not a direct shot to the discharge points. Interally the plate has passageways which then connect to the discharge points. If line lengths were the same, the nitrous would easily reach those points before the fuel does, this is where a lean spike is created. Using unequal length lines we can control the nitrous to discharge when the fuel does. Its simple physics and is unavoidable, not a problem with the product. Think of two 4AN lines that are 100 feet long, which will reach the end soon, nitrous or fuel?
Not sure I follow you exactly. Using a HSW plate and have two 16" lines. You are saying with a plate they need to be unequal?

Here is the setup. Is this going to be an issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solenoid to plate nitrous line length????