Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

347ci nitrous motor questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 347ci nitrous motor questions

I have a cleaned and honed stock ls1 block and stock crank. I would like to do a decent set of rods and some high(er) compression n20 pistons with valve reliefs. Can someone point me in the right direction on which pistons i need to look for (style and bore) and which rods i need to look for (style and length). Also any good links to read before i go around buying the rest of the parts for this build.

Please keep in mind when replying that this is my first build, but i have been around cars for years and feel very confident that with the right direction i can pull off a successful build.

Here is some background info in order to keep you guys on the same page. I currently have an 02 ls1 and t56 in a 93 mazda rx7.

Essentially the setup is this
LT's
232/237 112lsa 600lift
stock 243's
HSW plate kit
speed density tuning
The setup makes 400whp on motor and 580whp on the bottle and is tuned by Jermey Formato who is a forum spronser and a GREAT tuner. I am pleased with this setup it has gone deep into the 10's at 135+ mph traps... I plan on running it into the 9's while i build this motor on the side.

i am unsure of what heads i will be running... i would really like to do something high compression but still able to run 93 octane, and be able to handle 750+whp on the bottle (2stage)... With valve reliefs on the pistons should i bother milling the heads, or should i just cram a huge cam with more reverse split in?

I recently purchased an OEM LS1 crank that i will be taking to the machine shop to get micro polished and possibly treated.

My next question is how to check if the block is okay in order to install the crank. I purchased this block from a friend who i am no longer in contact with... It looks fine to the eye but i will be ordering a micrometer in order to spec it. Does anyone have any good links or reads on how to install main caps and ARP main studs.

Also, is it worth it to go billet main caps or will the stock main caps with clevite bearings do the trick?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

heres a pic of the ride (hoping to have the body work sorted out by xmas time with a fresh coat of vintage red )