Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some advice

Well I am posting this thread in hopes of getting some advice from the guys on here that have either "been there,done that" or are currently running a similar setup:

About a year ago I dropped in an HKE 408 iron block (11:1) in hopes of starting my n20 build. A few months after that I broke the 10 bolt and replaced it with a new Moser 9' (w/3.89s). Drove the car like that for a few months and then bought a single nozzle kit including a purge, WOT switch and digital window switch. My car before the n20 made 512/502, after pulling timing and spraying the 150 shot it made 621/672. -Wasn't completely satisfied. I've drove it like that for about the past 5 months.

Well I got to reading more about running a plate to better distribute the nitrous and maybe adding a progressive controller,then I heard about the MicroEdge. So I decided instead of adding a progressive controller I figured I'd just sell the window switch and buy a MicroEdge. So this week I sold the window switch and bouth a 92 mm Nitrous Outlet plate. I have been asking around and have only talked to a couple guys that actually have used the MicroEdge and got a couple different opinions: One guy says its badass and really likes how easy it is to use and the other says it has a couple cool features but the rest of the features on it are kind of useless and that nitrous outlet makes another controller similar but minus all the "extra features that you don't really need." Now I'm not trying to start a HSW vs. Nitrous Outlet thread because i know both companies are the best of the best in the N20 world, I'm simply asking for advice from those who have used either of the two.

My fuel system doesn't consist of much: a Walbro 255 pump and 42 lb injectors. What should I do with my setup, add another fuel pump and buy bigger injectors? One or the other? I plan on spraying a 200 and the very most a 250 through the plate and my goal is to have a pretty raw street car that could possibly run low 10s/high 9s at the track. This is a 6 speed car and I am running MT ET street DR's out back. The only suspension I really have is BMR subframes, BMR Rear LCA's and an adjustable panhard bar (i'm working on that believe me i want it to hook)

What would you guys do? My sig shows the mods I have done..any advice/suggestions would really be appreciated.

Kody

Last edited by vicouSS00; 11-11-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:21 AM
FormerVendor

did you mean MicroEdge?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
did you mean MicroEdge?
edited lol
Old 11-11-2009, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Lol i figured that was the case. Well lets start out by addressing what you think isn't of any use to you. I dont particulary care what other units do, i just know how well ours works.

I'll list the freatures here and we can go over it. Also, at 149 i think its pretty hard to beat, plus you can always add the + to make it a progressive controller.

RPM Window Switch: Only operates the nitrous system within a set “window” of RPM.

TPS Activation Switch: Only operates the nitrous system at (WOT) wide open throttle.

Dual Stage Control: Allows for the use of multiple nitrous kits to be run off of one (1) window switch. IE; multiple stages which can be used with different RPM & TPS values.

A/F Shut Down Switch: Nitrous system(s) will shut down if a lean condition is detected by either a wideband O2 sensor or narrowband O2 sensor. The MicroEdge will also shut down the system if an overly rich A/F is detected (wideband sensor only).

Lean Out Delay: The MicroEdge controller can be programmed to not shut down the nitrous system for a determined amount of time if a lean condition is detected. Great feature for those small lean spikes upon kit activation. This feature can be adjusted up to 10 seconds in .05 second intervals.

Multi-Gear Lock-Out: Can be configured for both stages and can lock-out multiple gears to optimize traction.

Time Delays: Activation of kits can be delayed for up to 10 seconds in .05 second intervals.

Pedal Delay: Delay(s) used to re-gain traction if the system is activated and the gas pedal is let off due to wheel spin and then re-applied. This allows for momentum to be built prior to re-activating the nitrous system(s). Both stages have their own pedal delay which is adjustable up to 10 seconds in .05 second intervals.

Nitrous Solenoid Delay: Delays the nitrous solenoid from being activated for an amount of time after the kit is activated. This helps to cure any lean spike issues that are pre-existing in the system.

Display: Built in LCD display can show RPM, A/F Ratio (mV for narrowband), TPS voltage, Battery Voltage, and Arming Switch Voltage.

File System: Up to three (3) files can be saved within the MicroEdge unit for quick and easy loading between runs.

Upgradeable: Easily upgradeable to the MicroEdge+ for progressive control features. For more info follow this link: MicroEdge+
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Well, are you going wet or dry? (Before anyone jumps in, yes you can do a plate as dry, just like you can do a dry fogger)
If wet, you don't need any more injector.
But you need more fuel. Either add an inline and a hotwire kit (To both) or do a dual in tank set up, or even a standalone.
That is a big shot, make sure you have enough fuel (Pressure and volume) as well as octane.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Launching!

Mike@HSW-I didn't think the other features were not of any use to me, that is just a piece of an opinion from a guy i know running one. I know if i buy the MicroEdge then i definetly will spend the extra 100 bucks and buy the one that has the progressive controller feature.

AgFormula02-The kit I'm running is a wet kit.

Last edited by vicouSS00; 11-11-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Got ya, well let me know if you have any other questions at all.

You are going to need to upgrade your fuel system to run a shot of that size, i am actually surprised you didnt have problems on the 150 shot. What is your motor putting down NA?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Launching!

512/502-before pulling timing

493/475-after pulling timing
Old 11-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Launching!

nobody wants to give any advice???
Old 11-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

cody,from what ive read/learned is that the most you want to spray through the front of the intake manifold no matter if its a plate or nozzle is a 250,(i know nitrous outlet has a plate that can spray a bigger shot then that but as for peace of mind i wouldnt go more then a 250)

while i havent done the 250 myself just yet. id say if you ever plan on going bigger then a 250 shot is that you might consider going direct port, ive looked several kits from a few different sponsors on here myself(all of which are great).

another thing you might consider is go with a standalone fuel system that way you can have optimal fuel for when you hit the dope. im running basically the same fuel system as you. the standalone hasnt made it way on to the car just yet but the car hasnt skipped a beat spraying a 200 on pump gas*knock on wood* and as most in my area know my car is a true daily driver.

when it comes to cars with alot of nitrous not many in our area have done big shots from a plate/nozzle setup. you have my number feel free to txt away if you have anymore questions or concerns

Flash20
Old 11-12-2009, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are my suggestions--

Go with a dedicated cell wired into your nitrous master arm switch. This way the pump is only running while the kit is armed, and you won't forget to turn it on. The dedicated will give you all of the fuel you need--volume wise.

The MicroEdge can seem intimidating at first. Once you play around with it, and familiarize yourself with navigating around the menus, it is awesome. I honestly don't think there's another controller out there with it's capabilities for the price. There are a ton of features, and honestly, I didn't use all of them. I used the window switch, dual stage controller, lean shutoff, and the TPS switch. If I had a street car, I would probably use the peddle, and a gear lockout also.

Have fun with it. That's why we're all here, isn't it?
Old 11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
cody,from what ive read/learned is that the most you want to spray through the front of the intake manifold no matter if its a plate or nozzle is a 250,(i know nitrous outlet has a plate that can spray a bigger shot then that but as for peace of mind i wouldnt go more then a 250)

while i havent done the 250 myself just yet. id say if you ever plan on going bigger then a 250 shot is that you might consider going direct port, ive looked several kits from a few different sponsors on here myself(all of which are great).

another thing you might consider is go with a standalone fuel system that way you can have optimal fuel for when you hit the dope. im running basically the same fuel system as you. the standalone hasnt made it way on to the car just yet but the car hasnt skipped a beat spraying a 200 on pump gas*knock on wood* and as most in my area know my car is a true daily driver.

when it comes to cars with alot of nitrous not many in our area have done big shots from a plate/nozzle setup. you have my number feel free to txt away if you have anymore questions or concerns

Flash20

thanks alot bro i've researched this alot and i think im going to go ahead and do a microEdge with a standalone fuel system. I've heard from a few guys on here that you can piece together a standalone and save a little bit of money..true? Or am i better off buying a complete kit? If so, who has the best system?

kody
Old 11-14-2009, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Here are my suggestions--

Go with a dedicated cell wired into your nitrous master arm switch. This way the pump is only running while the kit is armed, and you won't forget to turn it on. The dedicated will give you all of the fuel you need--volume wise.

The MicroEdge can seem intimidating at first. Once you play around with it, and familiarize yourself with navigating around the menus, it is awesome. I honestly don't think there's another controller out there with it's capabilities for the price. There are a ton of features, and honestly, I didn't use all of them. I used the window switch, dual stage controller, lean shutoff, and the TPS switch. If I had a street car, I would probably use the peddle, and a gear lockout also.

Have fun with it. That's why we're all here, isn't it?
thanks for the advice bro. Let's say i went ahead and did the dedicated cell and a 200 through my 92 mm plate. What kind of hp/tq numbers do you think i'll be looking at considering the numbers i previously made?

kody
Old 11-15-2009, 06:43 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by vicouSS00
thanks alot bro i've researched this alot and i think im going to go ahead and do a microEdge with a standalone fuel system. I've heard from a few guys on here that you can piece together a standalone and save a little bit of money..true? Or am i better off buying a complete kit? If so, who has the best system?

kody
i myself like the harrisspeedworks standalone or the nitrous outlet.

ive talked to a few guys that have the coldfusion standalone but have gotten mixed reviews about it, you can piece one together, id have a list of parts of what i needed before i would do that and check off what i ordered or what i have already to make sure you have everything before you go to install
Old 11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Launching!

anyone else have anything to add to this??