Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experienced nitrous tuner needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experienced nitrous tuner needed

My new combo is nearing completion and I need a tuner that has expertise in tuning nitrous cars. I live in northeast Indiana, but will travel a reasonable distance to have it done right. LPE was my first choice (even though they aren't big into nitrous cars) due to them being so close. Unfortunately, they only tune LPE cars. Has anyone used Mike Norris? He's in Indy now, but was in Florida up until last fall. Speed, Inc? Livernois? Any others within a couple hundred miles? Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What is your combination? Tell us alittle about what you what you have going.
Dave
Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

LME iron 403, AFR 225s hand finished by LPE, FAST 90/90 ported by LPE, 247/255 .625/.625 114, 11.75:1 CR, NX MAF wet kit with NANO, Vig 3800 3 disc conveter, RPM 4l60e, Fab9 with 3.89 locker, drag radial, pump gas, 95% street driven weekend / fair weather car.

I'd love to go DP with dedicated fuel system, but funds are drying up fast. The rear and bogarts just about killed the budget. Future plans are for a bigger shot (300) with a DP kit and dedicated fuel system.

My dilema is that I'm just getting into the details of a nitrous setup. The more information I get here, the more I realize I don't know. I bought the car "done" with a pretty stout 382 and the existing nitrous setup. Ran 10.24@137 fall of '08 with pump gas, driven to and from the track on 17 inch DRs (like my sig. pic). Chad Rose (Greenlight Motorsports) tuned the car previously, but he's left the tuning business - hence my need for a tuner. Suggestions?
Old 03-06-2010, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Bump.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Bueller?........................Bueller?.......... .................. Anyone?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ron at Pro Dyno Tech did my original nitrous tune and it was spot on. They are in Thorntown, IN.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to travel to Eastern Ky. Bluecat can get take care of you. He is as good of a tuner as you will find anywhere.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking build. How much do you plan to spray on the maff system? How much power are you currently making on motor and what is the compression on it?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

I think the MAF system is maxxed out as it is @ 200. As I understand it, more than that causes uneven distribution and lean cylinders. Correct? The car is at my mechanic's place, but IIRC I'm running .082n/.042f. NX told me .082n would be 200, but they recommended .044f for the fuel side. We started there, but it was pig rich. I use 42 lb injectors and dual 255 Walbros in-tank. One is constant duty and one triggers off a WOT microswitch at the throttle.

Compression ratio on the old motor was 11.25:1. New motor has 11.75:1. The shortblock is built for nitrous, with coated pistons and nitrous-ready rings, etc. LME said it would handle 400 all day long. I can't imagine ever spraying that much, but a having a little head room is always good. New combo hasn't been fired yet, but I would hope that it would make at least 525 rwhp on motor through the auto.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
I think the MAF system is maxxed out as it is @ 200. As I understand it, more than that causes uneven distribution and lean cylinders. Correct? The car is at my mechanic's place, but IIRC I'm running .082n/.042f. NX told me .082n would be 200, but they recommended .044f for the fuel side. We started there, but it was pig rich. I use 42 lb injectors and dual 255 Walbros in-tank. One is constant duty and one triggers off a WOT microswitch at the throttle.

Compression ratio on the old motor was 11.25:1. New motor has 11.75:1. The shortblock is built for nitrous, with coated pistons and nitrous-ready rings, etc. LME said it would handle 400 all day long. I can't imagine ever spraying that much, but a having a little head room is always good. New combo hasn't been fired yet, but I would hope that it would make at least 525 rwhp on motor through the auto.

Couple things that I see are or could be a potential issue. Which post on the WOT switch is feeding the second pump? You want to make sure to prime the fuel system prior to actually spraying the system.

Make sure your solenoids will flow what you need them to. Some of the dinky solenoids only flow 75-80% of their actual internal orifice size.

Where did you end up on the smaller fuel jet?

Nick
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM
10 Second Club

I don't understand what you're referring to about the WOT switch. It's a microswitch @ the TB and it just turns on the second in-tank fuel pump as a little insurance.

The solenoids were just cleaned/checked @ NX, so they should be fine. Unless those solenoids won't flow enough for my 200 shot? I thought they were capapble of much more than that.

I forgot to ask my mechanic what jets I was using. Does .082n/.042f seem realistic? I'm pretty sure NX recommended .082n/.044 for 200 and .088n/.046f for 250.

I appreciate the input.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
FormerVendor

I don't understand what you're referring to about the WOT switch. It's a microswitch @ the TB and it just turns on the second in-tank fuel pump as a little insurance.

The solenoids were just cleaned/checked @ NX, so they should be fine. Unless those solenoids won't flow enough for my 200 shot? I thought they were capapble of much more than that.

I forgot to ask my mechanic what jets I was using. Does .082n/.042f seem realistic? I'm pretty sure NX recommended .082n/.044 for 200 and .088n/.046f for 250.

I appreciate the input.
I see now. I was just making sure you weren't using the second in tank pump as the sole provider for fueling on the nitrous side.

Flow the solenoid. That will tell you instantly what your system is capable of. I won't be surprised when it flows 75-80% of its orifice size. I'm not knocking anything or any brand...I'm just being realistic. If they're small solenoids don't be surprised if they can't flow 200 hp worth of nitrous.

As with any other jetting, I'd use those as a reference. Both look inline with most jetting calculators, but most mfg's give out reference jetting as each car/system is going to react differently.

Nick
Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 PM

Your solenoid will be good up to 250hp, guaranteed.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

I would imagine that I'd run into uneven distribution in the intake before I'd run out of flow in the solenoid. Isn't 250 unwise in a MAF/plate setup? I thought 200 was the prudent cutoff point between a MAF/plate versus a direct port setup. Yes? No?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no prudent cutoff persay. Around 200 through the front of that intake you run into distribution problems with each cylinder getting a different mixture. This becomes a bigger problem the more nitrous you are putting to the motor and there is no real way to control each of those cylinders, timing and fueling per cylinder. If the plugs look decent putting 200 though it then step it up. it just gets real dangerous for someone who doesnt understand or see whats going on.

That is the short version and should be decently correct. FWIW I will be putting 250 to mine through the front just because I can and we shall see what the distribution looks like and I feel I have a handle on my tuneup compared to your ordinary nitrous user on this site.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:06 PM
10 Second Club

My problem is that I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL. I really need a tuner that will ask to pull the plugs, not just look at AFR, etc. Someone that tunes strong-running, 9 second, nitrous cars frequently. I just can't seem to find someone that gives me the "warm-fuzzies" that's even somewhat close to me.

Has anyone had experiences with Mike Norris? He's in Indy now and I understand he's been tuning cars for quite a while. I don't know how much nitrous experience he has, though. I plan on at least talking to him when I'm broken in and ready for a dyno tune.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

For what it's worth my current jetting is .078n/.040f.

Also, what would a good, safe target AFR be? When I bought the car, it was tuned to 10.8:1. I was told that was super-safe, but after reading more, but I'm starting to think that was far richer than ideal. Opinions? I do want it tuned so I can spray in the heat and humidity of summer without worring about being too lean. I am adding a wideband and guage, fuel pressure guage and an HSW Microedge this year. The Microedge will allow me to have an AFR window. What should I set the low AFR and high AFR limits for?

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My problem is that I know just enough to be dangerous. LOL. I really need a tuner that will ask to pull the plugs, not just look at AFR, etc. Someone that tunes strong-running, 9 second, nitrous cars frequently. I just can't seem to find someone that gives me the "warm-fuzzies" that's even somewhat close to me.
Drive to Eastern Kentucky and have Bluecat tune it. He tunes my low 9 sec. car along with tons of other high hp nitrous-S/C-Turbo cars. He is top notch.

It may take a little while to get you in though, he stays pretty busy...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Scott have you checked with ( http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/ ) up in MI, i've heard good things about them.

Or Speed Inc ( http://www.ls1speed.com/ ) i'm sure they have tuned some fast Chi town N2o guys there.