Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottle heater and pressure gauge help needed

Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bottle heater and pressure gauge help needed

ok here is the deal
i bought a new relay from nitrous outlet and a few month back i turned the bottle heater on a few times and after a run or two of everything doing just fine i noticed it became harder to get my pressure up, meaning the heater had to stay on longer to bring it up to 800-900psi well because of that longer time i noticed that the power wire in the relay was getting so hot that it started melting the relay plastics.so that has kept me from using it since because i know with it being this cold outside i dont want to have to run the heater too long and cause it to melt more or fry or anything. btw, the wires i used for the wiring are as big if not bigger than the onew used in th relay, what can i do?

ok next issue, what product can i buy or do to have a pressure gauge up front with me instead of the one on the bottle, i would like to see it from my seat instead of going back to the STC to see what the pressure is at
Old 03-12-2010, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you running the power wire from the relay to? To the Battery? to the fuse box?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 AM
FormerVendor

Pm'd your questions back
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

thanks, ummm i forget where i have it wired to, it was last summer, i will check again. but i may just go nano to avoid this whole thing
Old 03-12-2010, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to make sure the relay has a good source of power like direct to the battery or a positive terminal block, not tapped off a 12+wire somewhere.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:14 AM
FormerVendor

What gauge wire did you use?

Nick

Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside
ok here is the deal
i bought a new relay from nitrous outlet and a few month back i turned the bottle heater on a few times and after a run or two of everything doing just fine i noticed it became harder to get my pressure up, meaning the heater had to stay on longer to bring it up to 800-900psi well because of that longer time i noticed that the power wire in the relay was getting so hot that it started melting the relay plastics.so that has kept me from using it since because i know with it being this cold outside i dont want to have to run the heater too long and cause it to melt more or fry or anything. btw, the wires i used for the wiring are as big if not bigger than the onew used in th relay, what can i do?

ok next issue, what product can i buy or do to have a pressure gauge up front with me instead of the one on the bottle, i would like to see it from my seat instead of going back to the STC to see what the pressure is at
Old 03-12-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

X2 on the gauge question.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

The best way to add a gauge to the cabin/dash area is to get an electric nitrous pressure gauge with a sending unit. This way you don't have to run any extra nitrous lines back into the cabin. One example would be:

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...7&product=3457
Old 03-13-2010, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

well i think that is the problem, i did not run it to a good enough power source, i knew i used a big enough wire i think it was like 10-12gauge wire but it is wired to a 12v source that is only like 20gauge so i am gonna rewire that wire straight to the battery or how about to a 4gauge power wire i used to run my amps off of. i no longer run the amps but still have the wire ran to the back
Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^Odds are that was your problem. Make sure you have a fuse on that wire to the battery and the fuse is no more than 6" from the battery. A 4 gauge will work too.

By chance do you know what that wire went to that you spliced off from?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

behind the tv so probably to the stock stereo or something i think.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:43 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Joinedthedarkside
well i think that is the problem, i did not run it to a good enough power source, i knew i used a big enough wire i think it was like 10-12gauge wire but it is wired to a 12v source that is only like 20gauge so i am gonna rewire that wire straight to the battery or how about to a 4gauge power wire i used to run my amps off of. i no longer run the amps but still have the wire ran to the back
That's your issue. If you're pulling high amps through too thin of a gauge wire, you're gonna have all sorts of issues. Its ok to use a switched 12+ on another circuit to trip the relay but that's it. You need to pull the amp load from a suitable source such as a battery or remote terminal that is designed to handle the load.

Nick
Old 03-16-2010, 12:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a good chart for amp vs wire vs lenth.
http://www.nitroustech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bottle heater and pressure gauge help needed