Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATVRacer, and ShiznittyZ28 please step inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ATVRacer, and ShiznittyZ28 please step inside.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.

I got me a fancy Morroso plug light and I pulled #8 plug out to take a look at it after 7 passes at the track this last weekend. I am not running nitrous, but I am FI. I do know for a fact that my car went lean at the top of 3rd gear on the last too passes. I felt the car fall down up top and my WB is reporting the same thing in my data logs. I corrected the fueling. I am mainly concerned with looking at the plug to back up what my WB is telling me and to check for signs of detonation. I am running a more aggressive timing curve then most recommend. I have just started adding timing and I plan on going more, allot more. My timing at present is about 30 degrees before boost and is a nice steady 22.5 degrees under boost right now. I want to work my way up to 35ish under boost.

Here are my questions:

What should I be looking for that will tell me I need to stop bringing the timing up and back it down some?

What am I looking for as far as fueling goes?

Looking at this plug, I see the top (porcelain next to the tip) is paper sack brown in the open side and white (clean) on the closed side.

Under that it is greenish yellow, and under that (this is very thin) the porcelain is clean right before the very bottom. There is some minor ash build up all over, but very little.

These are TR6's gapped at 0.035", I know you like a different plug for the juice.

Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see pics at work. I will look at them when i get home or you can email me at Steve@Glenburnieracing.com
Old 03-18-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I havent taken any pics yet. I will pull a few more out tonight and see if I can put some picks up. I must tell you I drove the car home from the track on them (about 7 miles) so I would think they might not tell us everything, but maybe we can see something worth noting.

Thanks for taking a look.
TECH Addict

Like i said i can't see your pics so ill comment on them tonight...

What should I be looking for that will tell me I need to stop bringing the timing up and back it down some?

We run our timming mark just on the tip~1/16-1/8 from the end on an 1/8 mile hit. that will make it just before the bend on a 1/4.

What am I looking for as far as fueling goes?
2 things. 1 a thin line at the bottom of the porcelin. 2 with the c23 we will get a yellowish straw colored powder look and we like around 3/4 of a turn of that. different days and conditions it will want 1/2 or maybe 7/8 but around there is our start window. thats probably leaner than most want to go. so stick to the thin line at the bottom.

Looking at this plug, I see the top (porcelain next to the tip) is paper sack brown in the open side and white (clean) on the closed side.

we would want bright white everywhere. but we never put more than 2-3 runs on a plug. and little to no idleing.

Under that it is greenish yellow, and under that (this is very thin) the porcelain is clean right before the very bottom. There is some minor ash build up all over, but very little. ill wait till i see them

These are TR6's gapped at 0.035", I know you like a different plug for the juice. yes non projected for sure. what are your mods again? will help us dial in the plug choice.
9 Second Club

There are no pics to look at and probably no good information off a plug with 7 passes on it.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Texas_WS6
I havent taken any pics yet. I will pull a few more out tonight and see if I can put some picks up. I must tell you I drove the car home from the track on them (about 7 miles) so I would think they might not tell us everything, but maybe we can see something worth noting.

Thanks for taking a look.
If you drove them then they will be of little use. some times you can still see the timming mark but thats about it. gotta pull 1 at the end of the track after sutting it off at the stripe.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camscam02
There are no pics to look at and probably no good information off a plug with 7 passes on it.
True, I did not pull them after the pass, and I did drive home on them. I am mainly wanting to look for signs of damage or detination. I do know it went lean on the big end of the last two passes, not alot but it was lean.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:08 PM
9 Second Club

Dont know how I missed this...

Anyway I would do a compression check and if the they are all close I would adjust the tune and run it so you can pull a plug at the top end.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool, thanks
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Lean wouldn't hurt it for a short time if its not overtimed.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Total timing under 12# of boost right now is only 22.5 degrees. I have no crankcase blowby at all, crank case is vented 100% to atmosphere, so if I had hurt the rings or bore I should see signs with blowby increessing. I did not get a chance to run compression last night, but I should this weekend. New the compression was 155psi so I have a good baseline to go from there.

If I find something negative I will post it up.

Thanks again.