Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to match a nitrous setup to my heads and cam...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Trying to match a nitrous setup to my heads and cam...

I am trying to figure out if my current setup could run nitrous (for the occasional track/street run).

My current mods are as follows:

Port and Polished LS1 Throttle body
LS6 Intake
PRC 2.5 heads (5.3)
Torquer V.3 Cam 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA
3200 Stall converter
Long tubes and ORY(switching to duals)
Will be adding suspension mods (strip/street setup)

I'm new to nitrous and want the extra power when needed. I would like a setup that is safe for my setup. Reading through the stickies it looks like I need a window switch and WOT switch, but I don't know if my setup would even be set right for nitrous at all.

Could anyone help me decide if nitrous is a safe way for me to make additional power with my curent setup.

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nitrous will work well with about any set up IMO, I have a relatively similar set up with an M6 car. I will be doing a wet plate kit this summer and spraying either a 100 or 150, but probably a 150 .

I know some go bare bones and that works great for some people but in my humble opinion I would get an actual complete kit, as well as all of the safety features, window switch, FPSS etc. I am also going to be doing a dedicated fuel cell in the fuse area and running 100 oct out of it when I spray, this has several nice advantages, but then again some will say overkill. I would say with your mods you would see some very nice HP out of even just a 100 shot. I am hoping to see north of 600rwhp from my 150 shot.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nitrous will compliment your set up well. Looking at your set up you will need to do a racetronix fuel system and you can easily spray a 150 shot.

You will also need to change the spark plugs to an NGK-BR7EF. The tune up is the key. You will need to dial in the airfuel and timing.

If I can help you put together a set up that best fits your needs please shoot me a pm in I can help.
Dave
Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
11 Second Club

Safest and best thing IMO for you to do (with your current setup) would be get a 78mm wet plate kit with all the goodies(bottle warmer, bottle pressure gauge, purge kit, window switch). The window switch would be better as opposed to the WOT switch becuz I don't see a aftermarket rearend in your mod list that could handle the stress of spraying off the line with a WOT. A window switch would allow you to get more acquainted with running nitrous before upgrading. Check out the prices of these kits with different manufacturers n see who offers the best deal! $$$$$
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

As far as window switches and TPS, i think the HSW Microedge is a must have, it can be a little confusing but once you get it set for how you want it(can save 3 files to switch around too) it has a ton of safety features and useful applications. And it will work on any brand kit whether its nitrous outlet or HSW.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Thank you all for the input!

So what I'm gathering is that the safest way for me to go, (and safety for my motor and myself is key) is to use:

1.) A 150 shot, with a complete kit (window switch, warmer,brackets, etc
2.) Upgraded fuel system
3.) New spark plugs (Will that effect my daily driving or WOT without nitrous in a negative way?
4.) Bring the system to a "tuner" and get the air/fuel mixture right. (What timing is being referred to in Nitro Dave's post? General engine timing?

Does this seem correct so far?

Also I'm not sure what the advantages of the "microedge" are compared to any other window switch...

Why the 78mm wet plate? No too sure if that size is suggested because of my P&P throttle body, LS6 intake, stock MAF, etc.

*I'm planning on going with a FAST 92/92 and possibly a larger MAF(I haven't read enough about MAFs yet.

Thank you all for the help,

Matt

EDIt: Logged in @ my work computer on my older account. (I'm still VenomTA) haha

Last edited by venom 13; 03-22-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Microedge is a window switch, WOT switch, A/F lean shutdown when conencted to a wideband or narrowband signal. Gear lockouts, time delays all in one little package that can be put in the car and controlled from there. 3 files can be saved(so one for street, strip, or whatever). Like 6 wires or so to hook up instead of wiring a WOT switch, a window switch FPS switch etc.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:23 AM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks man...I will have to add that to the kit then. I like the adaptability that it offers.