Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrious Outlet Halo dry kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nitrious Outlet Halo dry kit

Has anyone used the Dry shot Halo kit from Nitious Outlet? If so what do you think of it?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes, i had the halo bar that sat under the lid. i had issues with it. i tried spraying just a 100 shot and it would come on super soft and keep leaking nitrous through the bar after. i tested it and found that it simply wasn't able to flow the little shot - it would keep going at the same rate for about 1-2 seconds after deactivation on a 3 second test.
instead of contacting nitrous outlet about it, i took it upon myself to drill out the little holes around the bar and make them slightly bigger - it helped a little, but i came to the conclusion there must have been some defect somewhere within the bar.
i simply gave up on it. the build quality wasn't impressive and i didn't want to take another chance on a replacement. i cant recall any other complaints about the spray bars, so my experience was probably just one compared to who knows how many happy customers are out there. nitrous outlet sells a lot of stuff and most of it is decent.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

I use it and it works great for me. Hits fairly hard for me for what it is. I have thought about switching to a plate but not sure If I want to drop the cash on it since I don't spray the car a whole lot anyway.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
yes, i had the halo bar that sat under the lid. i had issues with it. i tried spraying just a 100 shot and it would come on super soft and keep leaking nitrous through the bar after. i tested it and found that it simply wasn't able to flow the little shot - it would keep going at the same rate for about 1-2 seconds after deactivation on a 3 second test.
instead of contacting nitrous outlet about it, i took it upon myself to drill out the little holes around the bar and make them slightly bigger - it helped a little, but i came to the conclusion there must have been some defect somewhere within the bar.
i simply gave up on it. the build quality wasn't impressive and i didn't want to take another chance on a replacement. i cant recall any other complaints about the spray bars, so my experience was probably just one compared to who knows how many happy customers are out there. nitrous outlet sells a lot of stuff and most of it is decent.
I'm quite curious to hear more. I have the bar sitting in my garage waiting to go on....
Old 04-29-2010, 01:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

I have went mid 6's in the 1/8 with there spray bar. In my car it seemed to hit soft but that was comparing it to there plate.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
Not sure how long ago it was you bought one. But our earlier designs had the spray discharge in the front. After a while we found that putting the discharges in each side gave better over all results so we changed up the design alittle bit.

There are many of things that can determain how hard the system hits. The distance of the solenoid from the discharge ports can play a huge roll as well as the distance of the discharge from the intake. Airfuel and bottle pressure can also affect how hard a system hits.

From the testing we have done on the dyno with a clear MTI lid the system worked and tuned flawlessly when propely installed. When we shut the system off there was no slow bleed off. If you are flowing into the air its not the same invironment as it is under acceleration in the airbox.

Not sure how your system was set up but our complete system consist of a 500 hp solenoid with a 2 ft 3an hose to the spray bar. The jet is at the spray bar inlet which is poking through the bottom of the airfilter.

How was your system set up and how were you monitoring flow under acceleration?
Dave
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat Treat Pete
Has anyone used the Dry shot Halo kit from Nitious Outlet? If so what do you think of it?
When we designed the Halo system we spent quite a bit of time on the dyno with the system. If I were to use a dry system with the stock pcm and not using efi live to add the fuel the Halo is the only way I would do it.
It will completely fog the air intake track making sure that the mass air meter compensates for the nitrous.
Dave
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
I'm quite curious to hear more. I have the bar sitting in my garage waiting to go on....
well slap that thing on and let us know... i'm really curious to read more feedback on it. i heard where someone ...here i'll quote it (from https://ls1tech.com/forums/12508702-post15.html )
Originally Posted by slammin86
My last motor blew on a halo bar with a 100 shot.

I would run a dry shot again, but I would not rely on the maf to add fuel. I would add fuel via hp tuners using my iat tricker.
i'm not saying these things can blow motors, but i am just saying after logging my own runs with one, i had no interest in pursuing a "functioning" spray bar setup. i'm sure nitrous outlet has sold truckloads of these bars to guys who aren't reporting any problems.

for reference... here is a nice high resolution photo of the spraybar from nitrous outlet's site. http://nitrousoutlet.com/img.asp?p=/...NO-00-4101.jpg
Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Not sure how long ago it was you bought one. But our earlier designs had the spray discharge in the front. After a while we found that putting the discharges in each side gave better over all results so we changed up the design alittle bit.

There are many of things that can determain how hard the system hits. The distance of the solenoid from the discharge ports can play a huge roll as well as the distance of the discharge from the intake. Airfuel and bottle pressure can also affect how hard a system hits.

From the testing we have done on the dyno with a clear MTI lid the system worked and tuned flawlessly when propely installed. When we shut the system off there was no slow bleed off. If you are flowing into the air its not the same invironment as it is under acceleration in the airbox.

Not sure how your system was set up but our complete system consist of a 500 hp solenoid with a 2 ft 3an hose to the spray bar. The jet is at the spray bar inlet which is poking through the bottom of the airfilter.

How was your system set up and how were you monitoring flow under acceleration?
Dave
i agree that the environment in the airbox would not be the same as spraying into normal atmosphere, but the softness of the hits and the lack of feeling much of anything while spraying was a good indicator to me. i also always had hptuners logging and always watched the airflow registered by the MAF.
with a carefully crafted prototype, i certainly don't doubt your flawless test, but something was definitely wrong with my spray bar. i still have it sitting around for some reason, but i never cared to send it back since i drilled out the holes a little bigger.
my setup also had a 500hp nitrous outlet solenoid with a 20inch (slightly shorter than your 2ft line) 3an line to the jet which was also just under the filter.
i've attached pictures to show you how i had it installed (2.5 years ago).
bottle was always 900-1000 psi. i had hptuners hooked up and logged runs with me testing it over and over again for several days. at the time i simply gave up on it and went back to aiming a 70 degree nozzle at the maf until the interface came out.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Wow I have never seen anything like this. Is this better than using a nozzle?
Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Wow I have never seen anything like this. Is this better than using a nozzle?
Kinda hard to answer that question. Define your definition of "better"?

From what I am reading, since the Halo ring is placed further away from the MAF then a typical nozzle (which is placed a few inches away from the MAF), it tends to hit softer. Now the fog that is produced in the Lid is a better spray pattern than the nozzle's. Why? That part I do not know.

For me, the softer kit is "better" for me. I like the "softer" hit. I wouldn't want it coming on strong and putting that instantaneous demand on my rotating parts. I haven't read anything that confirms this but my logic leads me to believe that it might help with getting more traction to the ground too. Since it is for a few miliseconds "progressive" in a sense. I'm a Nitrous Noob so someone correct me if I am wrong as I don't want any more false claims on LS1Tech.com. Lord knows we have enough of that already.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Back from the dead. How would this setup work on a car that has the MAF tuned out and running an OLSD tune? From what I've been reading, this dry setup works so well because the MAF can compensate for the dry shot by adding fuel. An OLSD tune would not automatically do this so it would need to be addressed in the VE tables? Am I right, or way off?

Quick Reply: Nitrious Outlet Halo dry kit