Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing my first nitrous install and its a nightmare. Pics please?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing my first nitrous install and its a nightmare. Pics please?

Like the title says, I am attempting my own nitrous install and am pulling my hair out. Its a nitrous outlet plate kit with a purge, bottle heater, and progressive controller. Nitrous outlet is awsome, but the instructions aren't that great and the only picture in the instructions is of the fuel rail hook up. I know there isn't a specific place for the solenoids and purge, but I just do better with pictures, monkey see monkey do lol. Could you guys please put up pictures of your kits so I have a better idea how to hook this up. Also where did you guys put the relay, inside the car, by the bottle, or under the hood? Like I said the instructions really dont cover a whole lot. Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

What kind of solenoid mounting brackets do you have?? The small individual ones?? as for the realay, I mounted it over by the pcm under the hood on the passenger side upper corner. was easier to me.... I ran all my wires up thru the passenger floor board firewall and had easy access to good grounds and the battery if needed from that side of the engine bay. I mounted my fuel solenoid directly on the end of the stock fuel rail. my n2o solenoid and purge are on a Head Mount Plate. i dont have any updated pics since i changed to my plate kit, sorry.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
8 second mod

you are probably looking to deep into it. take a step back its very simple to do. very easy just need to step away for a few and go into it with a clean head. if you do a search you will find a lot of pics on here and get lots of good ideas.
like i said, take a step back and go at it with a clean head and you will figure it out.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my Nitrous Outlet Halo Kit and I agree, the instructions weren't clear and I found a few typos and mistakes. I purchased a Harris Speed Works Bottle Heater and the instructions were clear as day light and the supplies were top quality perma-seal crimp connectors and butt connectors! I love those now, screw heat shrink wrap!

One tip: Things will be kinda tight in the upper passenger side of the engine bay so I removed the wiper cowl. It is very easy to do. There are 3-4 pins that you lift up with a flathead screw driver. There is one up top close to the windshield by the wiperblade too. Once I cleared that out of the way, I had more room to manuever the PCM and I was able to mount my relay right there.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I installed my Nitrous Outlet Halo Kit and I agree, the instructions weren't clear and I found a few typos and mistakes. I purchased a Harris Speed Works Bottle Heater and the instructions were clear as day light and the supplies were top quality perma-seal crimp connectors and butt connectors! I love those now, screw heat shrink wrap!

One tip: Things will be kinda tight in the upper passenger side of the engine bay so I removed the wiper cowl. It is very easy to do. There are 3-4 pins that you lift up with a flathead screw driver. There is one up top close to the windshield by the wiperblade too. Once I cleared that out of the way, I had more room to manuever the PCM and I was able to mount my relay right there.
Hey thanks for that tip, I will defiantly take that cowl off. That cowl kicked my *** when I was taking off and putting on my heads lol. I have the single brackets for the solenoids. I have a progressive controller that has a tps switch built into it, should I use that or still use the wot switch on the throttle body? What about the relay to the bottle heater and the relay for the progressive controller? Do I keep the relay by them as well or somewhere different? I did a search and couldnt really find any closer up pics, but I will try my wording a little different. I just got done installing a MWC Fab9 rear end, tq arm, lca's, and phb. I would much rather do that again then this nitrous, I hate electrical stuff lol. I really hope this is worth it in the end.

Last edited by second_2_none; 05-07-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Noyzee
you are probably looking to deep into it. take a step back its very simple to do. very easy just need to step away for a few and go into it with a clean head. if you do a search you will find a lot of pics on here and get lots of good ideas.
like i said, take a step back and go at it with a clean head and you will figure it out.
Agreed it really easy once you get away from it... I was the same as the OP running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Just step back take a deep breath and count to ten or your favorite number if it helps.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

I used this as a reference. It is for a C5 but can be used for any LS1. Good pics,info, & wiring diagrams.
http://robertsnitrousservice.com/

Also this helped:
http://www.hotrod.com/howto/3447_che...all/index.html
& this:
http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/instructions/
Old 05-07-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I mounted the relay to the heater inside my center console. Those should be close to the device it relays. I don't have a progressive controller but I would mount yours somewhere in the interior as well.

Electrical wiring isn't that bad. It jus' gets overwhelming because there are so many wires. But jus' stick with one wire at a time. Invest in a good Racheting Terminal Crimper - it made my install a breeze. Make sure wires are snug in the holes of the butt connectors before crimping. I had one or two that pulled out on me. Buy some shrink wrap for your connections but I would highly recommend Perma-Seal Connections. They are a lil' more expensive but really worth it.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I just hooked up my nitrous kit. Here is where I mounted the selonoids. Mounted them to the valve covers. I don't have real clear pics, but hopefully this will give you an idea.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

I just did my first install and it was confusing at first. But after looking at it for awhile it was so easy. Here is a few pics of my setup I got the cylinder head mounting bracket from nitrous outlet. Going to clean up my wiring a little more but other than that pretty much done. My only mistake was I didnt tighten the fittings in the solinoids tight enough so just had to crank them a lot more than I would of though.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Still working on this. The wiring of the nitrous and bottle heater suck but aren't horrible, I'm able to track and follow along....BUT my progressive controller looks like a nightmare! I dont even want to start on it. My controller can wire into my tps, but I have a wot switch hooked up so do I need to wire that up or no?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Your progressive controller should activate your Nitrous using your TPS sensor so you don't need a WOT switch.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so if I dont need a WOT switch, what would I plug the wire for my arming switch to? I hate electrical crap! I want to pay a shop to do this, but I'm already ***** deep into it, and I like doing my own work...most the time.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you guys splicing into for your keyed 12v source? I'm guessing they mean into the fuse box, does that mean to just pull out a fuse and wrap the wire around it and plug it back in? I'm trying to make this install look as professional as I can and I'm sure there is a wire I can splice into for a keyed 12v source that I can hide, I just dont know where.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by second_2_none
What are you guys splicing into for your keyed 12v source? I'm guessing they mean into the fuse box, does that mean to just pull out a fuse and wrap the wire around it and plug it back in? I'm trying to make this install look as professional as I can and I'm sure there is a wire I can splice into for a keyed 12v source that I can hide, I just dont know where.
there should be a couple open fuse spots on the dash box. put a test light to them and find the hot side with key on and put a male connector on it and plug it in. or i usually take the fuse pannal out and find the open fuse that works and tap into it there. it looks neat little more work but looks nice.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok thanks. I have all the wiring pretty much done under the hood, now to start on the inside and to fab up a switch panel.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Did the progressive controller you purchase come with instructions? If you purchased it used from somebody, go to their website and they should have a manual you could check out.

To answer your other question regarding TPS and WOT switch activation, if your Nitrous kit came with a relay, the relay should have a black, red, white and green wire. Green goes to the solenoids. Black goes to positive battery terminal. One of the wires from the progressive controller should hook up to either the white or red wire. I'm 90% sure it's the white wire off the relay. Double check that.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update;
Alright I pretty much finished all the wiring last under the hood and for the heater. All I had left to do was make my switch panel and hook up the switches...or so I thought. I pulled out my nitrous outlet digital progressive controller and started looking at the instructions, I have to basically undo everything I just got done wiring up. I have to take out the relay and wire the solenoids to a driver. FML
Old 05-10-2010, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I didn't use any of the instructions from my N20 outlet plate kit, I just used the instrustions from my NOS mini progressive. Im really happy with the way mine turned out. What I did for my 12 volt power sources/ relay mounting was; wring in and mounting a seperate fuse block and all of the relays in my glove box. Now I have seperate fuses for the n20 system, fuel pump for stand alone, and heater. It keeps it very neat and organized, plus I dont have any visible wires in my engine bay.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh I have wires all over my engine bay. I was going to get some black wire loom and try to clean it up after I'm done.

Quick Reply: Doing my first nitrous install and its a nightmare. Pics please?