Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anybody spraying meth along with their nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is anybody spraying meth along with their nitrous?

I'll eventually be putting a nitrous kit on my car this year. I got curious and was wondering if any lsx guys are spraying meth with their nitrous for the benefits methanol/water injection offers. I know guys do it with FI, and some googling has shown that in theory its a great idea to spray with nitrous, but I didn't really find anybody who does it.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from what i've seen and researched. its pretty much useless because of the cooling properties that nitrous offers to begin with. but i have no 1st hand experiance with it. this is just what ive read and researched
Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

octane benifet? Cus the nitrous cools the intake charge. I have used them on turbo and supercharger set ups. They work for that really well because of the high intake temps. Just seems pointless when you can run a stand aloan fuel system with any octane fuel you choose. I would like to know if anyone tried it also, but I wouldn't be the pioneer. I have one sitting on the shelf by the way, if you want to try it.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Both of you guys have very valid points. I knew the cooling effect wouldn't really be that needed due to the cooling effect of nitrous. I considered it more for the added octane on demand, which you also pointed out one would gain from a stand alone with some high octane in it. I laid out a simple system on paper that would activate the meth pump with the window switch so they all are spraying at the same time. Where I'm located, coming across some race gas means a 30+ minute trip, which isn't a HUGE delima. However, if I can fill the stand alone tank with some 91/93 and spray some meth on top of it to give a similar effect to filling the stand alone tank with some c16, why not? I'm just thinking out loud here fellas, open to ideas and discussion.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Part of the issue with water/meth setups is the variance in the mixture. Nitrous is more sensitive to changes in the tune than the other forms of FI (From a Nitrous Junkie stand point) This is along the lines of mixing race gas in the tank. It works, but I just don't like adding something I know can change and relying on it to keep my motor safe.

Now if you wanted to setup a tune for 100% methanol injection/pump gas and the nitrous, that is something I have a little more confidence in. But for what you have in the methanol setup and cost of Methanol, Run a stand alone and high octane fuel.

Part of this OPINION is based on not having as much experience with it as I would like with methanol and water/methanol. Its just not a popular setup.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used a water kit to win pump gas drags there are definate advantages if your limited to unleaded street octain fuel. but if you can run good fuel it will work better thn the meth/water mix.

the evaporation of the water does help control detonation and slow the flame front down. but not as well as a good high octain fuel.

then again maybe i have not read enough on the internet to be an expert.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
We used a water kit to win pump gas drags there are definate advantages if your limited to unleaded street octain fuel. but if you can run good fuel it will work better thn the meth/water mix.

the evaporation of the water does help control detonation and slow the flame front down. but not as well as a good high octain fuel.

then again maybe i have not read enough on the internet to be an expert.
I have not read enough either.

Like I was saying about part of my reluctance in that setup is having never ran it. Honestly wish someone close has a similar setup I could play around with and look at the tuneup on it.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

I will say with the meth and water its hard its harder to get a good reading. they clean the plugs so well.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

I will say with the meth and water its hard its harder to get a good reading. they clean the plugs so well.
How did your water/meth setup look? How much of it were you spraying?

Just curious.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club

Were'nt allowed to use meth, Pump Gas Drags was very strict about adders.
Water only and they watched us open water bottles pour it in and sealed it when we were done.

Had the nozzle mounted on the bottom of Vic jr.(drilled hole in bottom cam thru there)
Dont remember how much we used... think it was the middle size nozzle (came with 3 sizes)
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by ATVracr
Were'nt allowed to use meth, Pump Gas Drags was very strict about adders.
Water only and they watched us open water bottles pour it in and sealed it when we were done.

Had the nozzle mounted on the bottom of Vic jr.(drilled hole in bottom cam thru there)
Dont remember how much we used... think it was the middle size nozzle (came with 3 sizes)
What changes did you see with that on the plug? What tuning changes did you make?

Again just curious. Something I have not personally had my hands on.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

Since the car was not set up to run 93 it was more of a lets try this out thing. it helped us keep the tune closer to what we would have had in the c16 setup. we should have pulled even more timing since i ended up hurting the motor in the semifinals but made stay togeather enough to win. IF we knew then what we know now we could have made that car stay together and go a bit faster im sure.

so basically let us run a few more degrees of timing than i would have felt comfortable with on 93 also helped pull egt's down almost 300 degrees. that was water only at pumpgas but the meth mix was even better on the dyno.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Since the car was not set up to run 93 it was more of a lets try this out thing. it helped us keep the tune closer to what we would have had in the c16 setup. we should have pulled even more timing since i ended up hurting the motor in the semifinals but made stay togeather enough to win. IF we knew then what we know now we could have made that car stay together and go a bit faster im sure.

so basically let us run a few more degrees of timing than i would have felt comfortable with on 93 also helped pull egt's down almost 300 degrees. that was water only at pumpgas but the meth mix was even better on the dyno.
Good information. Appreciate the forthcoming of the tuneup as well.

Last question did you ever happen to run that with the c16 in the tank?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

no never ran it with good gas. it was only on the car for the pump gas drags then it came off weighed ~8 lbs... still have it here collecting dust.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Guess a system would be redundant and just be added weight if one has access to some good gas to put in the stand alone tank.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

I found this thread googling meth/nitrous. I run a turbo truck and I have a meth and a dry kit. my walbro is tapped out so I considered hitting the dry shot with a twin m15 straight meth used as fuel on top of 12 lbs of boost. Did I mention this is on a cam only stock lq4?

I actually thought the straight meth would provide fueling of high octane while the N2O does what it always does when its mixed with boost, SCREAM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club

Change it to a wet kit with its own fuel pump.
Then if you run out of fuel for turbo just richen the kit up to make up for it.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:04 PM

Default meth/nitrous

Originally Posted by L80Killa87
I'll eventually be putting a nitrous kit on my car this year. I got curious and was wondering if any lsx guys are spraying meth with their nitrous for the benefits methanol/water injection offers. I know guys do it with FI, and some googling has shown that in theory its a great idea to spray with nitrous, but I didn't really find anybody who does it.
Meth inj. Good for nitrous get a stage 3 kit from snow perf. This kit allows for more power gains with a shot of 200 nitrous it's possible no change in timing reason why the meth allows for a slower burn of the fuel effectively increasing the octane of your fuel yes nitrous gives a cool dense charge but raises cylinder Temps the meth lowers cylinder Temps there fore the meth inj. Is great for all power enhancements..
Old 02-16-2015, 07:54 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Nitrous and Water Methanol Injection work great together. Running the Water Methanol, is almost like running your car on race fuel. It gives a nice octane boost that will allow you to run a more aggresive tuneup. (The car will take more timing safely, making more power with the added timing.)

Check out our Water Methanol stuff here...

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/gasoline-systems.html

If you guys have any questions, let me know!

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 02-03-2019, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Nitrous and Water Methanol Injection work great together. Running the Water Methanol, is almost like running your car on race fuel. It gives a nice octane boost that will allow you to run a more aggresive tuneup. (The car will take more timing safely, making more power with the added timing.)

Check out our Water Methanol stuff here...

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/gasoline-systems.html

If you guys have any questions, let me know!

Thanks,
Garrett
Necro post time!

Are you saying to run a dry nitrous kit and use a meth kit for fuel, effectively creating a WET nitrous kit?

Quick Reply: Is anybody spraying meth along with their nitrous?