Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting noise when on the bottle any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting noise when on the bottle any ideas?

Well long story short, nothing changed since last yr. except new LS3 heads and intake. plugs are br7ef's at .032 gapped. kb bap/walbro and 150 shot.
.062 n20/ .041 fuel. Had to run bigger fuel jet to richen it up. when I hit the bottle im getting a rattling sound, like exhaust banging but I can't find any problem. Or exhaust leak, or maybe something else on left side it sounds like just a rattling sound. I cant tell if it's from the motor or what. Only on bottle na it's quiet as can be. when going wot the a/f is 10.9-11.0 should I lean it out alittle. 91 octane. Do I need to mix in some racing fuel? timing is being pulled 6 degrees from 24wot na. to 18 on the bottle. Just needing some thoughts? Im going to hook up my predator logger tomorrow and hit it on the highway and pull a log to see if I see anything. Im going to pull out the plugs tonight to see if I see any problems. But car pulls strong just making that noise, and runs like a beast na also.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone. I logged a run in this morning. I noticed that timing went from 23 na to15 on the n2o. So its actually pulling of 8 degrees. Could that be the problem?
and I saw .53 max on the knock sensor. Didn't see any other issues. And 2 degrees being pulled on the knock retard. Almost sounds lke exhaust leak or pinging cutting on and off.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06blackGTO
Anyone. I logged a run in this morning. I noticed that timing went from 23 na to15 on the n2o. So its actually pulling of 8 degrees. Could that be the problem?
and I saw .53 max on the knock sensor. Didn't see any other issues. And 2 degrees being pulled on the knock retard. Almost sounds lke exhaust leak or pinging cutting on and off.
sounds like it's knocking. I wouldn't squirt it again till you figure it out
Old 07-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be gettin some detonation. after checkin the plugs properly you might try and get ahold of a scope if you can and poke it down in the spark plug holes and if you can see anything like maybe little alluminum speckles on the piston(s) or something.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well long story short, nothing changed since last yr. except new LS3 heads and intake. plugs are br7ef's at .032 gapped. kb bap/walbro and 150 shot.
.062 n20/ .041 fuel. Had to run bigger fuel jet to richen it up. when I hit the bottle im getting a rattling sound, like exhaust banging but I can't find any problem. Or exhaust leak, or maybe something else on left side it sounds like just a rattling sound. I cant tell if it's from the motor or what. Only on bottle na it's quiet as can be. when going wot the a/f is 10.9-11.0 should I lean it out alittle. 91 octane. Do I need to mix in some racing fuel? timing is being pulled 6 degrees from 24wot na. to 18 on the bottle. Just needing some thoughts? Im going to hook up my predator logger tomorrow and hit it on the highway and pull a log to see if I see anything. Im going to pull out the plugs tonight to see if I see any problems. But car pulls strong just making that noise, and runs like a beast na also.
Pulling 6 degrees on a 150 shot is not enough. Especially on 91 Octane. I'm pulling 9 on my LS6. It's what it likes. From the sound of it, and your 91 Octane, it wants to pull more too. You prolly should be pulling 8-9. Read your plugs.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's pulling 8 degrees. I confirmed it today when i logged a run. its dropping from 23 down to 15. I do need to put in a fresh set and read the plugs.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's pulling 8 degrees. I confirmed it today when i logged a run. its dropping from 23 down to 15. I do need to put in a fresh set and read the plugs.
Okay you said you said it was pulling 6 in your first post. That 91 Octane isn't helping your situation. Need to fix that too.

BTW - Like the Mustang part of your Sig... :0
Old 07-03-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am starting to believe that I have a head gasket issue. last time I hit the nitrous the car got alittle warm, and the pressure built up and forced some antifreeze into the reserve tank. And then today when I hit it and datalogged it, it started to get hot, and then the radiator started leaking. like it blew out the seam on one of the plastic side tanks. So now I need to find another radiator. Im so burned out with the problems I have been having. The car has .031 MLS head gaskets on it, put on over the winter.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I am starting to believe that I have a head gasket issue. last time I hit the nitrous the car got alittle warm, and the pressure built up and forced some antifreeze into the reserve tank. And then today when I hit it and datalogged it, it started to get hot, and then the radiator started leaking. like it blew out the seam on one of the plastic side tanks. So now I need to find another radiator. Im so burned out with the problems I have been having. The car has .031 MLS head gaskets on it, put on over the winter.
Change the head gaskets. Inspect the heads and pistons while the heads are off.

Definitely sounds as though you had some detonation issues. When you get it all back together...you have several options. Lower the shot, raise your octane or get with a very good tuner and while starting with a smaller shot...bring the power levels back up in smaller increments while keeping the tune safe. But looking at your NA power in your sig + the 150 is way beyond safe for 91 octane and 18 degrees of timing. I would add some octane anytime you spray that 150.

How do you have your system set up? Window switch? Fancy nitrous controller? What are you using to pull timing?
Old 07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How do you have your system set up? Window switch? Fancy nitrous controller? What are you using to pull timing?

thru the hsw nitrous controller. set to come on at 3,000rpms. shut off at 6300rpm's. Timing tricker I made, and it's working. When I datalog, the iat temp shoots to 199 degrees. Which the tuner has setup to pull out the timing. Which Im verifying thru the datalogger. It' actually pulling out 8 degrees of timing. Thanks for the help.