Sponsored by:

[First nitrous install] LS3 with NX 90mm plate system

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default [First nitrous install] LS3 with NX 90mm plate system

Hey LS1tech,
My name is Justin and I have an LS3 cam-only vette that I race on the regular and I wanted to try my hand at adding nitrous to my car.

I went with the NX 90mm plate kit, purge, progressive controller, fpss,etc

Here are some pics from the install. The main nitrous feed line is way too long so I'll be cutting off the excess and adding the fitting so it isn't so messy.

Comments, critiques, and thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

All the goodies(almost)

Initial solenoid placement but it was way too busy. I ended up ordering custom lines to clean up the install and mount the noids together.

The fuel line is still 1" too long so I have another line on the way to clean up the lines running from the noids to the plate.

Fuel rail tap and FPSS

Bottle mounted to pressboard, sandwiched in between the insulation and rear carpet

Nitrous Outlet switch panel wiring

Tapped into the VSS, tach signal, and TPS wires at the ecu so I didn't have to run wires everywhere in the engine bay

Nitrous feed, battery positive(1 gauge), wideband, timing box, and all nitrous wiring go through these holes in the firewall.

There are essentially 2 tunes loaded in the car and they change at the flip of this switch, thanks to resistors used to set the ECT to exactly 237* which allows a whole new timing map to be written

I also relocated the battery to the rear hatch compartment in preparation for the standalone fuel cell to take its place up front

HP Tuners interface, NGK AFX wideband controller, and Maximizer 4 progressive controller all secured in the glove box.

I didn't want to have to fuss with filling the bottle so I bought a mama bottle for the garage

Lastly, I ordered a new custom plate
Old 07-17-2012, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha clean setup brother looks damn good and tasteful. You aint fooling anybody pulling the curtain over the bottle Nice setup bro!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Banned

Also, how big of a shot are you planning on? From your setup and supporting mods, I would anticipate a 200+
Old 07-17-2012, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Haha, thanks man. I'm not trying to fool anyone. I just laugh at the idea of "peek a boo" coming from the hatch
Old 07-17-2012, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Also, how big of a shot are you planning on? From your setup and supporting mods, I would anticipate a 200+
I have baby pills in it right now(75 shot) as I don't think my stock fuel pump will take much more. I could add a bigger fuel pump or twins in the tank or something, but it's such a chore to do that on the vettes that I'd rather just buy a standalone and put it in the battery tray. The solenoids are located nice and close so I won't need to run excess fuel lines all over the place. It'll still be nice and clean.

The end goal is a 9 sec slip which I think is doable with a 150 shot
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

It pulls surprisingly well with the 75 shot too. It almost feels like the vtec in my wifes Honda Civic. ROFL
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

It has a slight lean spike on the hit(don't know what I can do about that though) and within .15, the fueling is back to .85 lambda just like I command.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Whose solenoid brackets did you use?

Originally Posted by Burrhos
I have baby pills in it right now(75 shot) as I don't think my stock fuel pump will take much more. I could add a bigger fuel pump or twins in the tank or something, but it's such a chore to do that on the vettes that I'd rather just buy a standalone and put it in the battery tray. The solenoids are located nice and close so I won't need to run excess fuel lines all over the place. It'll still be nice and clean.

The end goal is a 9 sec slip which I think is doable with a 150 shot
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

That's actually NX's solenoid bracket. I had some issues along the way with their packaging(they forgot to send the universal brackets) so they offered to ship me that bracket free of charge. It was designed to mount to the throttle body but with the purge, there's not enough room. You also have to relocate the power steering reservoir and I didn't want to do that. Ironically enough, that bracket fits PERFECTLY on top of the coil and is so snug, I didn't even have to bolt it down. I just ran a couple zip ties through the opposite side and it doesn't move.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to know more about the:

There are essentially 2 tunes loaded in the car and they change at the flip of this switch, thanks to resistors used to set the ECT to exactly 237* which allows a whole new timing map to be written

part??! any write up or info on 'how to' would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Sorry and looks good by the way!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Nice install Justin I'm glad that you enjoy it. If you need any help with anything please feel free to ask .

Trey
Old 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 4U2NV-SS
I like to know more about the:

part??! any write up or info on 'how to' would be great.

Thanks
It essentially functions the same as an IAT tricker, only it uses the ECT as the sensor to fool. I have a visual cue that the timing is pulled as the ECT gauge goes to 237* and also shows the read out on the DIC. The 'second' tune is a modification to the ECT timing table and the timing is pulled when the computer sees the temperature at the specified range.

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Nice install Justin I'm glad that you enjoy it. If you need any help with anything please feel free to ask .

Trey
Thanks Trey, give Abney the link as he wanted to see pictures of the install. I'm still not done with it, but it's pretty close.

Last edited by Burrhos; 07-26-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, looks like someone else wont be getting the against me!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
Where at in Tampa are you Gator?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
Getting the what against you?

Gator lives kind of close to me I believe
Old 07-17-2012, 01:05 PM
Teching In

Very clean install, nicely done.

You should secure that bottle in the garage to the wall, though.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. Secure it how though, like a band clamp secured to the wall? My garage never sees above 95* and the supplier assured me the bottle is perfectly fine until sustained 120* heat. . . lol its not a bad idea though, I'll check into it.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The one thing I really like about NX kits is that they come with the -6 line and fittings already as part of the base package where as N2O outlet does not. I also really like their DF5 bottle valve it seems to really flow a lot more than others.

I am pretty sure with that maximizer 4 you can delay the nitrous .10-.15 to get rid of the lean spike.

Does it lose performance when the lean spike happens? Most of the time a lean spike is normal and it really won't hurt anything as long as the timing is pulled when it occurs.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

With the max 4, I can ramp in the shot, but I don't see an option to separately control the nitrous solenoid. I haven't experimented with it yet so maybe putting a slight ramp in the curve on the hit will help. It's only for about .15 of a second and the timing is pulled so I think it will be ok. I might call NX today to see if I'm just missing something as far as using the software to delay the nitrous noid.

No performance is lost that I can tell. It's a very small shot as I'm taking baby steps to get used to everything.

Quick Reply: [First nitrous install] LS3 with NX 90mm plate system