Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to nitrous and have a solenoid leaking into the intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to nitrous and have a solenoid leaking into the intake

So I bought a used. I've done a ton of reading and learned a ton of useful info. Bought a used kit from a local guy that had it on his TA. It's a nx kit.

Finally got it all wired up and was testing it and when I was testing the solenoids after I turned the bottle on it was leaking past the solenoid into the intake. Tested it a few times and it was hit or miss. Some times it sealed off just fine but then it would leak....I didn't want to chance it so I pulled the solenoids off till I figure it out.

I know this guy was running this kit weeks before with no problems. So did that noid really go bad all the sudden? I took the tower off and didn't find any trash built up in the solenoid.

So should I just buy a new piston and throw it in and call it done or anything else I should do/check?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be looking at the seating surface of the solenoid plunger. Many people for whatever reason leave their bottle pressure on to the nitrous solenoids. This pressure over time will ruin the seat.

I only open the nitrous bottle after the engine is started and shut it before the engine is shut off. Then I purge out the pressure in the pits.

It is a good thing you are checking for nitrous leaks, many people don't.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you happen to have a picture of the solenoid piston? If so you could send me a close up shot of it and i can try to see anything from it.

The other thing that you can do is send it in and we can inspect the seat for any defects that might cause the leak. We could also pressure check the solenoid to make sure we get it fixed for you.

Trey
Old 10-04-2013, 03:38 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind a small piece of trash can cause a solenoid to leak. If you took it apart and everything looked ok put it back together and check it again. What ever was in it may have feel out and you not see it.
Also check and make sure you are not connected to the purge port if the solenoid has one. believe it or not that is a common mistake.

Anything we can do to help let us know.
Dave

Quick Reply: New to nitrous and have a solenoid leaking into the intake