Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 Bore Block....When will the heads lift on NOS?

Old 06-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 6.0 Bore Block....When will the heads lift on NOS?

I did a search but did not find the info on this I was looking for. Plenty of threads on boost. I was bench racing with a friend and we were discussing a certain combo for drag racing. It would need to be under 365ci for a weight break so pretty much 6.0 block and stock stroke. Jet limit would be 38 on a fogger so roughly 375 shot depending on your tune-ups. It seems the block with a good crank and rods would live but what about the 4 bolt head set-up? the build would dictate a good set of heads so that would be where the money was spent. Would the 4 bolt heads live at this level? head studs and MLS or copper gaskets. goal would be bottom 8's quarter mile or bottom 5's n the eighth at 2700 lbs.

Anybody have any real world experience with NOS use on stock block/aftermarket heads? I know there is always an endless amount of opinions.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:25 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ran more that that on stock 6.0 block.
Cometic gaskets.

Never pushed water or hurt a head gasket.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SBSR
I did a search but did not find the info on this I was looking for. Plenty of threads on boost. I was bench racing with a friend and we were discussing a certain combo for drag racing. It would need to be under 365ci for a weight break so pretty much 6.0 block and stock stroke. Jet limit would be 38 on a fogger so roughly 375 shot depending on your tune-ups. It seems the block with a good crank and rods would live but what about the 4 bolt head set-up? the build would dictate a good set of heads so that would be where the money was spent. Would the 4 bolt heads live at this level? head studs and MLS or copper gaskets. goal would be bottom 8's quarter mile or bottom 5's n the eighth at 2700 lbs.

Anybody have any real world experience with NOS use on stock block/aftermarket heads? I know there is always an endless amount of opinions.
How bottom 5's are you talking?.... 5.20's or 5.0's? at those times it is a fair amount of power to shave 2 tenths.

My old 408 went 5.30's @ 3250# with a small jet plate system. Heads, Cam and Pistons... get those three right and youll be in good shape at 2700. Youll want an aftermarket casting head, Im partial to Mast stuff, thick decks and good ports.

Nothing exotic is needed to keep the heads sealed, ARP studs, and cometics.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ATwelveSec02Z28
How bottom 5's are you talking?.... 5.20's or 5.0's? at those times it is a fair amount of power to shave 2 tenths.

My old 408 went 5.30's @ 3250# with a small jet plate system. Heads, Cam and Pistons... get those three right and youll be in good shape at 2700. Youll want an aftermarket casting head, Im partial to Mast stuff, thick decks and good ports.

Nothing exotic is needed to keep the heads sealed, ARP studs, and cometics.
Its all in the tune up.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Been spraying 450 on an aluminum 6.0 block and 243 heads with stock mls gaskets. No head gaskets issues. Arp Bolts, not studs.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, some interesting replies. thanks a lot for sharing your info. seems like a stock 6.0 block, Eagle/Callies rotating assembly, forged pistons would be plenty reliable on the short block. ARP studs and cometic gaskets would seal the deal.

of course the magic would happen up top. would there be a factory head (either stock or CNC'd by one of the sponsors) that would have a thick enough deck and flow possibilities? would a rectangle port head be better?

I find the thought of this combo interesting as i have been running sbc combos for a long time and have been learning the LS platform a little at a time while building a 5.3 s10 Blazer for street use. I do have a spare 5.3 and 6.0 block that would be a good foundation for a build to go in my foxbody roller
Old 06-12-2014, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SBSR
wow, some interesting replies. thanks a lot for sharing your info. seems like a stock 6.0 block, Eagle/Callies rotating assembly, forged pistons would be plenty reliable on the short block. ARP studs and cometic gaskets would seal the deal.

of course the magic would happen up top. would there be a factory head (either stock or CNC'd by one of the sponsors) that would have a thick enough deck and flow possibilities? would a rectangle port head be better?

I find the thought of this combo interesting as i have been running sbc combos for a long time and have been learning the LS platform a little at a time while building a 5.3 s10 Blazer for street use. I do have a spare 5.3 and 6.0 block that would be a good foundation for a build to go in my foxbody roller
The decks on stock casting heads are thinner than the after market stuff. Obviously an aftermarket casting would be optimal, but for the $$$ you can't beat a stock casting cylinder head. The rectangle port heads do run faster than the cathedral port stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6.0 Bore Block....When will the heads lift on NOS?