Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous+hot weather+daily=hassle??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default nitrous+hot weather+daily=hassle??

I have a question for those who have nitrous setups in hot areas. Do you guys take off the bottle and put it back on whenever youre gonna use it?

Im asking cus where i live it gets really hot. It was 117* last week and today was 111*. My trucks thermometer read 118* today inside the truck with windows cracked down, cloth seats and gray interior. My ws6 gets much hotter with black interior and leather seats.

So leaving a bottle inside the car does not look like an option to me. However, i cant imagine myself having to load on and off the bottle everytime i want to use it. Do you guys have any tricks to this, or do you remove the bottle constantly?

It kinda makes me want to stay away from nitrous due to the hassle. Funny gas is $5.50 where I live so id hate to have a disc burst and throw $55 dollars out the window.

Any tested way to keep the bottles cold for when not in use??

PS, its a 100% street car and my work doesnt have a shaded parking lot. Any tips appreciated
Old 06-20-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not leave it in the vehicle. Take it out when not in use. Temps are way to high.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:34 PM
9 Second Club

I'm in Arizona, bottle always out. I put it back in on night I plan to use it. Cheaper to load and unload a bottle than it is to keep replacing burst disc and nitrous.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

I would just be pissed if i spend over a grand on a nitrous setup only to not have the bottle when i need it lol
Old 06-21-2015, 08:16 AM
Banned

I live in daytona beach, FL. Had 2 bottles mounted on package tray in my 02 ss also black leather interior and t-tops. I always used a bottle blanket with dark tint and never had any problems.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I would just be pissed if i spend over a grand on a nitrous setup only to not have the bottle when i need it lol
^^^ exactly. So in hot weather the gas will expand which could cause it to blow off but what about cold weather ?
Old 06-21-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JAYPLUMB
^^^ exactly. So in hot weather the gas will expand which could cause it to blow off but what about cold weather ?
Well we only get like 2 months of cold weather. But i would probably leave it on then.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAYPLUMB
Correct, heat causes the pressure to increase, in cold weather, and not in direct sunlight let it ride. With cold weather you have to warm the bottle to get up to operational pressure.

If you insist on driving around with a bottle in the car all the time in hot weather, either be ready to replace a lot of nitrous and burst disc. Or only 1/4-1/2 half fill bottles so the nitrous has room to expand without popping a disc. Neither option is a good idea, and you will end up disappointed either way.

If you think doubling up a burst disc is a good idea, this is what a car can look like after a bottle explodes.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

What do the NX and NO Outlet guys recommend?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Once your bottle gets up to around 92 degrees, the pressure is just around 1000PSI. If it gets much warmer than that, it could cause your solenoids to not open, the pressure disc to burst, and some physical problems for you if it blows the disc while you're in the car. My advice: take it out of the car unless you're intent on running it. If you want to leave it in the car, buy a handful of blow-off discs and be sure to have a blow down tube.

Last edited by AJatNitrousOutlet; 06-22-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

I know what the consequences are, and i would be buying a blow out tube.

I was just wondering if anyone has gotten tired of removing bottles constantly.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RobsZ28
Correct, heat causes the pressure to increase, in cold weather, and not in direct sunlight let it ride. With cold weather you have to warm the bottle to get up to operational pressure.

If you insist on driving around with a bottle in the car all the time in hot weather, either be ready to replace a lot of nitrous and burst disc. Or only 1/4-1/2 half fill bottles so the nitrous has room to expand without popping a disc. Neither option is a good idea, and you will end up disappointed either way.

If you think doubling up a burst disc is a good idea, this is what a car can look like after a bottle explodes.

Holy Fng S.

I never took the bottle out of my 5.0 and it gets damn hot here in the summer. I was also younger and dumber, wouldn't do it again. ESPECIALLY after seeing that.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Originally Posted by RobsZ28

This would never have happened if he wouldn't have tampered with manafacturer safety features. This bottle either had a pressure relief blocked or tampered with in some other way. Also, never use a torch on a bottle as most of you know.

Now, OP for reference, I have left my bottle in the car on a 90*+ day before and it will get the pressure pretty high, however, it never ruptured on me. With high pressure in bottles, you can either crack the line to let pressure down or purge it if the pressure is not super high.

I always normally take the bottle out when I'm not using it, though.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old 06-22-2015, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

I guess ill just deal with constantly disconnecting and connecting the bottle. Thanks guys
Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I went to a dyno day on a high 80* day my car (01z06withthe bottle mounted right under the rear glass) was in the lot for an hour or two indirect sunlight. When my car dynoed it made 278 hp on a 150shot. I look inside the car my pressure gauge wasflashing red and peakked at 1500psiholding my nitrous solenoid closed. Moral of the story take out the bottle.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

I guess most people didnt understand my original post. I am fully aware that i shouldnt leave the bottle in the car in hot days.

My question was to those who constantly remove the bottle, if it was worth it after a few months or years of using nitrous? Anyone regret using nitrous after having to constantly remove the bottle and filling it up on a street car?

So far ive only heard one person say they regretted nitrous due to this, but everyone else seems to love it. The only people i know with nitrous, have it setup on non street legal track drag cars, so they dont mind
Old 06-23-2015, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Only you can say whether or not having to unhook the bottle will be worth it as that is a personal opinion, but it only takes one minute to unhook a nitrous bottle. I can't see that alone deterring anybody from spraying. You have a valid point about having to fill up bottles frequently though, and thats just part of the territory with nitrous unfortunately. Thats why the majority of nitrous users are drag racers who bring multiple bottles with them to the track. Thats not to say that nitrous is restricted simply to the drag strip though.
If you can shift your mindset slightly I think nitrous would work out great for you. Instead of thinking about it like always having it on you so you never miss a race, organize a weekend meet up with the local car scene and spray a full bottle. That way on Friday night after work you can throw the bottle in, the nitrous plugs, and drag radials on. If you just have to have full power at all times I'd look at another power adder IMO.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Zlow28
I guess most people didnt understand my original post. I am fully aware that i shouldnt leave the bottle in the car in hot days.

My question was to those who constantly remove the bottle, if it was worth it after a few months or years of using nitrous? Anyone regret using nitrous after having to constantly remove the bottle and filling it up on a street car?

So far ive only heard one person say they regretted nitrous due to this, but everyone else seems to love it. The only people i know with nitrous, have it setup on non street legal track drag cars, so they dont mind
I will say this about nitrous, getting frustradted over having to fill a bottles from time to time is the same as getting mad over the fact you have to fill your car with gas.

Last edited by AJatNitrousOutlet; 06-25-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:30 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

I've been dealing with nitrous for quite a while now and have never had a problem with taking the bottles in and out to be filled or to just take them out on a hot day. It just becomes part of the routine.

Bottle fed for life!

-Chris
Old 06-24-2015, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
I've been dealing with nitrous for quite a while now and have never had a problem with taking the bottles in and out to be filled or to just take them out on a hot day. It just becomes part of the routine.

Bottle fed for life!

-Chris
FOR LIFE!

Last edited by AJatNitrousOutlet; 06-25-2015 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply: nitrous+hot weather+daily=hassle??