Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super noob questions, new to the ls family...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 02:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super noob questions, new to the ls family...

I'm an ex 5.0 Mustang guy so when I wanted to pull timing I just turned the distributor. This is my first ls style car and first time messing with a car with a computer so I have been wondering about some things-

I'm going to have the car tuned at Frost with nitrous. Looking for about a 300 shot. How do I "tune" that at the track for conditions? I'll probably be using an NOS mini controller unless I upgrade before then. Would i just use that to dial in the hit on the track? Obviously I'm fairly new to this, I have only used simple kits with lower hits and even that was quite some years ago and limited use even then.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Pulling the timing on a LS motor is pretty simple. It can be done either though a tune, or a timing controller like the Lingenfelter LNC-2000. Personally, I like the LNC-2000 because with it, you don't necessarily have to run different tunes for motor and nitrous. The Mini is just a basic progressive controller, and will only determine your RPM window and the ramp used, and will have little effect on the overall tune of the nitrous system. If you're new to using nitrous on the LS or if it's been a while since you used nitrous, start off at a smaller shot than 300 to get a good grasp on the tuning aspects of it.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fueling will be done by jets and tuning it in from reading plugs and AFR. For timing the best option is the Lingenfelter LNC-2000. AJ at Nitrous Outlet can hook you up with one and get you squared away on getting it dialed in.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I realize that 300 is hefty but I thought since i was going to pay to have it tuned that they would deal with that. I just know that everyday and every track is different so I was wondering how I would do smaller adjustments at the track. I wouldn't want to spend $600 to have it tuned with say a 100 shot then keep paying that same $600, not to mention the time involved, to work my way up to where I want to be. I'm actually looking at going higher as the car allows. Is my thinking off here or will the LNC-200 allow me to do what I need to do?
Old 10-22-2015, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
Fueling will be done by jets and tuning it in from reading plugs and AFR. For timing the best option is the Lingenfelter LNC-2000. AJ at Nitrous Outlet can hook you up with one and get you squared away on getting it dialed in.
And that's the other thing, I don't want to be pulling plugs after every run, what a pita. I'm looking at getting a data logger instead. That would work right?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Data logging and reading plugs is NOT the same thing. Get a good wideband and a Good Fuel Pressure Guage. AEM and Innovate make good widebands. Keep an eye on your afr. af far as plugs its part of the game. You need to check them when tuning. Do a pull to redline and kill the motor pull plugs and check them. on a big shot car you need to be changing plugs out regularly anyways.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The LNC-2000 is what you want. Basically all you'll need to do is get the car tuned good for n/a then pull a few degrees via the LNC box....nothing fancy
Old 10-22-2015, 05:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Data logging and reading plugs is NOT the same thing. Get a good wideband and a Good Fuel Pressure Guage. AEM and Innovate make good widebands. Keep an eye on your afr. af far as plugs its part of the game. You need to check them when tuning. Do a pull to redline and kill the motor pull plugs and check them. on a big shot car you need to be changing plugs out regularly anyways.
A data logger wouldn't provide those details?
Old 10-22-2015, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

No. I wouldnt rely on them anyways. A big shot car needs to be setup if you want it to live. and Fuel Pressure and AFR are important. Reading the plugs helps confirm what the wideband is telling you along with the timing. But hey its YOUR car. You do you.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
The LNC-2000 is what you want. Basically all you'll need to do is get the car tuned good for n/a then pull a few degrees via the LNC box....nothing fancy
This is good news, I'll be getting one for sure. I's this something I should have before getting it tuned or it doesn't matter?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

No. I wouldnt rely on them anyways. A big shot car needs to be setup if you want it to live. and Fuel Pressure and AFR are important. Reading the plugs helps confirm what the wideband is telling you along with the timing. But hey its YOUR car. You do you.
Ya I get that, I want it to live! I'm here asking for advice from people that know, I have no problem admitting when I don't know something. I appreciate your advice, just don't mistake my questions for arrogance.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you want it done before you get it tuned, so all the tuner has to do is pull the the correct amount of timing
Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Yes you want it done before you get it tuned, so all the tuner has to do is pull the the correct amount of timing
So without it they would just retune the computer?
Old 10-23-2015, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Correct. Also Id find a good dyno tuner in your area.. No offense to FROST but nitrous is not something i would mail order tune if thats what you were going to be doing.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 AM
FormerVendor

Correct. Also Id find a good dyno tuner in your area.. No offense to FROST but nitrous is not something i would mail order tune if thats what you were going to be doing.
Very true, nitrous is something you want to get tuned in on the dyno, then do fine adjustments at the track. Datalogging is a great tool, but to know what's really going on inside each cylinder you need to pull the plugs. It'll give you important information such as how your timing and fueling is doing, and will also let you know if you're getting any detonation or other problems. You want to get the LNC-2000 before you get the car tuned, because depending on how much timing the tuner puts in it will determined how much you need to pull for a given shot of nitrous. Even if someone else is getting your tune in. you still want to start small with nitrous- after all, depending on weather conditions and other factors, you'll be the one adjusting the timing after pulling your plugs. Getting a good grasp on the tuning aspect will help you get all you can out of your car, and also recognize when things aren't going right.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 AM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...3#.VipZ1ytyKHQ

This sounds like the option for you. You can pull static timing in HP tuners, it is computer software for the LS platform, but you cant adjust timing on the fly with it, like you can with the LNC-2000.

AFR gauges are great for tuning nitrous and getting everything dialed in, as well as keeping a constant eye on things, however, reading spark plugs is the most reliable tuning tool for nitrous.

If you are going to be running a 300hp shot, you are going to have to pull the plugs at some point to understand how the engine is running on each cylinder, as an AFR gauge only gives you an overall reading from one bank, instead of reading each individual cylinder's heat and fueling from reading spark plugs.

Just my .02$, OP please let me know if you have any questions.

-Garrett
Old 10-23-2015, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great information here guys, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm sure I'll have other questions but those were the ones that really had me wondering.

Still reading plugs... Damn it I thought that with my time away from this we would have gotten away from that. It is what it is...

I have heard good things about Frost. I'm near them, they would be doing a dyno tune. No mail order. Are they good or no? I was going to take the car back to Tick Performance, they did the cage. It's farther but doable. Frost is only an hour away but if the nod goes to Tick over them I'll make the drive.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Ls1tech & Truck Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either should be able to get you covered. I've hurd good about both!

-Chris
Old 10-23-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NitrousExpress
Either should be able to get you covered. I've hurd good about both!

-Chris
Good to hear, I'm so much closer to Frost.

Quick Reply: Super noob questions, new to the ls family...