Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max effort N2O 347ci heads questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max effort N2O 347ci heads questions

My plan is to go as fast as possible on stock cubes and as much n2o as it will hold ...
I do better listing things then writing a story so here is specs on short block
L33 (alum) bored to 3.905
stock crank
compstar rods
diamond nitrous piston
tool steel top and a napier 2nd rings

I have a set of untouched oem 799 heads from the L33 that i dont mind to sink money into because (oem) heads is just another arguing point for me to get a break ... here are my questions
1. Who would be the best cnc porter for what I am looking for?
2. Who would be the best to hand touch em up after the cnc work?
3. At what point are most people lifting heads on oem heads?

All that said if some aftermarket heads are leaps and bounds better could you please let me know which ones and elaborate on why?

FYI yes this will be my first ls engine but i have built and ran a very successful 8.2 deck sbf (small cube) nitrous car so I am comfortable tuning a similar combo ... Thank you all for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for anyone who would be kind enough to chime in ... also im happy answering anymore questions if you need to ask
Old 07-12-2017, 11:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Porting heads TEA, AI, TSP and so on will all be fairly close to each other. TEA and wait for it Cartek have always performed better on the track than just about anyone else.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:49 AM
12 Second Club

I think TEA, Tony Mamo, Texas Speed, and Livernois Motorsports all get pretty consistently good reviews on there port work. Might consider an after market casting on a max effort I think there are some nitrous exhaust ports in the aftermarket casting stuff that is supposed to be pretty good worth looking into.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default NOS Heads

Hi Ice, be careful with the Valve Guide choice in some aftermarket heads, your OEM "799" will work great.

I use West Coast Cylinder Heads for OEM head work with very good results.
I use Tony Mamo for high end heads.

Both local to me, what is your location ?

The NOS LS-347 would be best with S/S valves (Ti Intakes ?) and Inconel EX as large as could be fitted.
The NOS will "feed" the intake with required oxygen, the Exhaust Port should be the highest flow as possible.
The same with the camshaft, a great I/E duration "split" with a 20* + value AND a WIDE Lobe Center 116* + with PRO NHRA racers even wider.

SONIC TEST the Block with report provided to LS-1 Tech members !

The head gasket, a FelPro 1041 with studs.
The rocker OEM with CHE's and "rose-bud" rocker bolt locations.
The Timing Set Progearweb Billet. (single)
The OEM 2010 Camaro Oil Pump.

No for some questions :
Crankshaft TW tooth 24xe or 58x ?
Max NOS HP and Max engine RPM ?
Dry/Wet Nos ?
Ignition Coil choice ?

I too have done MUCH work with the Ford's engines as I worked for Bill Stroppe (HMS)

Would you like more help ?

Lance
Old 07-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Like i said new to the ls stuff so im not sure what you mean about "rosebud" the rocker bolt location? also it is 24x ... since i will probably stay oem head and stay hyd cam im guessing 8000rpm MAX and keep stock coils. i will run wet n2o through a fogger with a super vic and a carb. I figured most everyones cnc is similar but after the cnc there is usually some to be done to the exhaust port and the chamber for lots of n2o any info on who is good with that? ... as far as how much n2o? ... im assuming itll top out around 400 or so but until i get it together and tuning i wont know for sure. I would like to run similar numbers to some fast 8.2 deck combos at the same weight
Old 07-16-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Tea has a n2o exhaust port they can cut into factory or after market heads. TEA stg 2,s always perform. There's info to be found on them if you look back far enough.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tug686spd
Tea has a n2o exhaust port they can cut into factory or after market heads. TEA stg 2,s always perform. There's info to be found on them if you look back far enough.
I was told the exh port option was for aftermarket heads only??
Old 07-17-2017, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by icegld
I was told the exh port option was for aftermarket heads only??
Told by them? If not give them a call they are straight foward with you and very honest people. The last heads I sent to them I bought used off this forum (tfs245's) and had them sent to TEA instead of me. At the same time I sent my super Vic to them also for port matching. They called after receiving them to say that the intake was so close that he didn't feel port matching would gain anything. They could have sanded the first couple inches to make it shiny and took 400 plus from me but didn't. 2 of the ports actually had some sanding on them and they gave me the thickness of gaskets to run to line up the ports. That honesty goes a long ways with me now a days. I've personally run tfs, tsp and cartek heads. They all performed well and all had good costumer service but TEA is where I'll be sending my money from now on. Pretty sure all TEA heads are all hand finished also to blend everything together. TSP's Black Friday sale is extremely hard to pass up on porting heads though if you can wait. It's been 15% the last few years.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tug686spd
Told by them? If not give them a call they are straight foward with you and very honest people. The last heads I sent to them I bought used off this forum (tfs245's) and had them sent to TEA instead of me. At the same time I sent my super Vic to them also for port matching. They called after receiving them to say that the intake was so close that he didn't feel port matching would gain anything. They could have sanded the first couple inches to make it shiny and took 400 plus from me but didn't. 2 of the ports actually had some sanding on them and they gave me the thickness of gaskets to run to line up the ports. That honesty goes a long ways with me now a days. I've personally run tfs, tsp and cartek heads. They all performed well and all had good costumer service but TEA is where I'll be sending my money from now on. Pretty sure all TEA heads are all hand finished also to blend everything together. TSP's Black Friday sale is extremely hard to pass up on porting heads though if you can wait. It's been 15% the last few years.
Yes told by them via email
Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

icegld,

We have 2 separate programs for the 243/799 casting. Stage 2 comes with Manley int/exh valves. You'll see most heads start to lift at or just over the 1Khp mark. We're actually running our cathedral port sale right now. Jesse is our CNC master, Brad is our hand blender who also has 31 years experience with Reher-Morrison as well as Sonny's before starting with us.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

Default Time Sert Rocker Bolt Locations

Hi Ice, the term "rose-bud" is one used to describe a TimeSert.
The Stock OEM LS-2 valve train will "rev" to 8K
The addition of a different cam lobe changes the forces on the rocker arm with care needed for 8000 RPM operation.

As for coils, 400 NOS ?

The IGN-1A coil, the same coil that Steve Morris fits to his HIGH HP LS engines, would be a safe choice.
A good Ignition System will allow an engine to "live" under high HP loads. (400 NOS)

Lance
Old 07-18-2017, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Ice, the term "rose-bud" is one used to describe a TimeSert.
The Stock OEM LS-2 valve train will "rev" to 8K
The addition of a different cam lobe changes the forces on the rocker arm with care needed for 8000 RPM operation.

As for coils, 400 NOS ?

The IGN-1A coil, the same coil that Steve Morris fits to his HIGH HP LS engines, would be a safe choice.
A good Ignition System will allow an engine to "live" under high HP loads. (400 NOS)

Lance
ahhh ... around here its usually called a helicoil ... only rosebud i could think of was a torch lol

Yes again its speculation at this point but im assuming somewhere around 400 n2o (36-38jets)

I was hoping to get away with msd6014 and stock coils since i was staying hydraulic roller and not spinning it too high rpm ... Are these parts not up to the task?

Last edited by icegld; 07-18-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Frankenstein
icegld,

We have 2 separate programs for the 243/799 casting. Stage 2 comes with Manley int/exh valves. You'll see most heads start to lift at or just over the 1Khp mark. We're actually running our cathedral port sale right now. Jesse is our CNC master, Brad is our hand blender who also has 31 years experience with Reher-Morrison as well as Sonny's before starting with us.

do you have info on the stage 2 program also? what size valves?
Old 07-18-2017, 04:36 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2.040"/1.575" Int/Exh valves. I don't have flow numbers off hand but I'm sure I can get them if needed.

-Russ
Old 07-20-2017, 12:49 PM
FormerVendor

Default NOS Coils

Hi Ice, the "task" of 100-200 OK.
The "task " 400 Max Effort = NO

Too close the SPG is NOT Good for NOS, you should use .045" to .050" Gap for the stated RPM Range.
Sure you could start at lower NOS HP, then upgrade.

Lance, BTW CHE uses the RoseBud term.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lol wtf. .040-.050 gap for max effort nitrous? Get out of here.
Old 07-20-2017, 04:36 PM
Teching In

I was under the impression you close the plug gap when running bigger shots? Im now to lsx (and coil on plug) but not new to n2o and have ran 400+ before and never ran a gap that large?
Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol you do. That guy spits out crazy **** all the time. I gap my b9efs at .024 with a .099 jet(320 to the tires)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Default NOS Spark Plug Gap @ 6000 RPM

Hi Ice, FIRST, MY wife DOES NOT ALLOW me to SPIT. (blk00ss)

THE BAD TECH reported by blk00ss (.024" SPG) : A small Spark Plug GAP wastes the coil energy

MY tests allow for Arc Duration measurement using my CO-2 Pressure Chamber AND a Scope.
GM Specification for SPG is .045" to .050" with some at .060".
This is because the Arc Duration is correct (thirty degrees of crankshaft rotation) for the coil fitted AND best overall engine performance.
WHEN the SPG is CLOSED that Arc Duration becomes much greater, sixty to seventy degrees.
This is a waste of the energy, electrons, used to heat the fuel/air/NOS that allows ignition inside the cylinder.

THUS the 10 AMP GM OEM coil family with the small SPG would act like a FOUR AMP coil. (energy release within time required)

There is NO REASON to close the SPG when the coil fitted can spark in the cooler NOS filled cylinder.

I ONLY ask you "ICE" to Googly "IGN-1A" coils for world wide provided information.

Lance, BTW I was a team member of modern DIS in 1984. (US Patent)
Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Advanced Induction ported heads are hard to beat. I've seen far better results from their heads over all competitors.

Quick Reply: Max effort N2O 347ci heads questions