Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting bottle on transmission tunnel vs spare tire well?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Mounting bottle on transmission tunnel vs spare tire well?

Just want to get you guys' opinions.

Which is the better place to mount? Why?

It's a 10lb bottle.

To me the trans tunnel seems like the more convenient place, the spare tire well seems like the cleaner location.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get a lot of attention with it on the trans tunnel. If it a track car only I would use the tunnel. If it’s a driver use the spare tire.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 15lb. Bottle is on the tunnel and seems to work well.

N2
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

So really, it's just personal preference? No advantage one way or the other?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
So really, it's just personal preference? No advantage one way or the other?
You can reach back and sling the valve open when it's mounted to the tunnel. You can't do that with it mounted in the spare tire well, without a remote opener.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You can also run a pressure gauge right on bottle and see it from your seat without having to buy extra fitting and lines or a expensive digital gauge.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents here, the bottle in the trunk distributes the weight in a more desirable location for drag racing as it is more ballast behind your rear axle instead of ahead of it on the tunnel...all depends on how the car is setup, what its primary use is and if you're that serious about it ie scaling it and moving weight around and stuff like that.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had mine in the spare tire location and hated it. Constantly having to get out and check pressure in the lanes. I moved it to the passenger seat area, so I can open and close at will, while strapped in (no reaching) and see the pressure at a glance. Obviously, it is a strip only car.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said I like it where I can see pressure while heating with blanket and have it where I can turn on off! Plus 33 lbs centered just in front of rear end seems to work well. 346 CI at 3,300 lbs on a ramped 125 shot of dry at the lid has went 1.27 60 foot times.

Good luck and have fun with it!

N2
Old 12-08-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I had my first setup on the trans tunnel and constantly hit my elbow on it...the new setup will have the bottle in the back.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I had my first setup on the trans tunnel and constantly hit my elbow on it...the new setup will have the bottle in the back.
I actually wondered about this.

I think I'm leaning towards the back at this point. Inconspicuous, out of the way, cleaner.

A little more $$ with a remote gauge and bottle opener, but oh well.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I actually wondered about this.

I think I'm leaning towards the back at this point. Inconspicuous, out of the way, cleaner.

A little more $$ with a remote gauge and bottle opener, but oh well.
Does it look cool on the tunnel? ******* yes it does.

But daily driving it, trying to use the arm rest.....sucks. I'm a small guy too.

When I started getting the pieces together for my new NX kit I was going to mount it on the tunnel again.

Then my wife said.."Remember how you constantly bitched about hitting your elbow on the bottle...put that **** in the back"

True story. That's the only time that woman has ever told me to put it in the back.....
Old 12-19-2018, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure how you’re hitting your elbow on the bottle constantly. I’ve had mine in the spare tire, and tunnel. Tunnel is way better. I had my bottle pretty much resting up against where the back seat would go and had plenty of room. But regardless. It will perform better at the tunnel. Shorter line means less wasted nitrous, and if you’re running a -4 line it will help if you’re trying to spray a larger shot. A -4 line can support a pretty big shot with a very short feed line. But make it 16’ to reach the back and I doubt you’ll ever get a full “200” shot if desired.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Mine is in the spare tire well. From the driver's seat I can tell the bottle pressure from my electric gauge, warm it, open it, close it. The only time I touch the bottle is when I refill it.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
That's what I was thinking too after I got the tunnel mount. My 1st thought when I ordered the tunnel mount was I can open & close it real easy & read the gauge on the bottle
Originally Posted by 5.7stroker
Mine is in the spare tire well. From the driver's seat I can tell the bottle pressure from my electric gauge, warm it, open it, close it. The only time I touch the bottle is when I refill it.
That's where I put mine too. Bought the Nitrous Outlet spare tire well mount plate went in perfect. The nice thing about mounting in the spare tire well is it's out of the way, it's much easier to mount the bottle heater relay back there & hide the wires for the bottle heater & run the wires & the nitrous line under the carpet. No holes drilled in the carpet as the tunnel bracket & the blowdown tube would require that. There's a factory hole in the spare tire well with a rubber plug that's perfect to run the blowdown tube through. Also if you remove the spare tire access panel you can read the bottle pressure gauge. I bought the Nitrous Outlet Promax Nitrous controller w/ touchscreen & both fuel & nitrous pressure sensors so can monitor them on the touchscreen. Nitrous controller goes in the center console. Looking inside the car you cant tell it has nitrous. Spare tire well is a much cleaner install.