LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Nitrous Oxide (https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide-10/)
-   -   Screw the cam swap get nitrous instead? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/1919985-screw-cam-swap-get-nitrous-instead.html)

KissMyTushZ28 05-18-2019 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Kfxguy (Post 20097369)
Man look. A 5th gen has a less efficient trans and independent rear suspension. It’s more to it than weight. A 4th gen with an ls3 is a very formidable opponent. Is a lighter car, more aerodynamic, lighter and more efficient drive train. Lighter wheels and brakes. You can not compare the two. Even if a 4th gen is lighter by only 300lbs (3800 vs 3500 with is the weights of these two vehicles) the 4th gen with the same stuff done to it will walk all over a 5th gen. I’ve had both. The rotating mass on the 4th gen is much less. That accounts for much more than static weight. I didn’t think I’d have to explain all that, but this is the internet and as usual, someone will disagree.

Spot on man. If my intake and catback only WS.6 could edge out on 5th gens with the same mods I would have walked them with an LS3 in my car.

Kfxguy 05-18-2019 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 5.7stroker (Post 20097335)
I'm assuming he meant "the norm is a heavy 4000lb ls1"

You know what I meant. A 4th gen usually doesn’t weigh 4000 but a 5th most certainly does.

Kfxguy 05-18-2019 05:16 PM

Look guys, if you have to spray your car to beat a stock 5th gen or 5.0 and you are ok with that, then spray away until you run out. But I’d rather have the power out the time, not temporary power. All the time meaning a heads and cam car, supercharged or turbo charged.

Truth be told. I have a ls1 GTO. under dog for sure. 5.7 in a heavy, almost 5th weigh chassis. I don’t have a fighting chance with this little motor at full weight. I refuse to start stripping my nice daily driven capable vehicle to hang with late model cars. So I put a turbo on it. And now it’s barely faster than some really fast stock cars these days. And that bothers me. What would bother me even more is if I came across a mustang that’s bone stock with some girl driving and she put an ass whooping on me the first race and I had to spray her the next to beat her. What if I didn’t get that second chance? Then now I’m really bothered (yea I let shit get to me too much). But by doing what I did, it ensures that most stock cars around here won’t beat me. Except a new zr1 and demon. But I won’t bother picking on one of those.

kbronSS 05-18-2019 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kfxguy (Post 20097255)
The summit stage one ghost cam will work very well. I don’t think you’ll need a stall. It’ll idle at 600-625, pulls to 6800-7000 and a member on here made 445rwhp with it through an auto with a big stall. I’d rather do that than nitrous.

I believe that was with the stage2, not the ghost cam. And he has a FAST set up, PRC heads i think too. I did a lot of research on the cam and spoke to summit about it also. Of course i would/could get 100whp on a setup but then comes the stall and by the end of it id be in it too much. But it was my top choice as far as cams go.

5.7stroker 05-18-2019 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Kfxguy (Post 20097369)
Man look. A 5th gen has a less efficient trans and independent rear suspension. It’s more to it than weight. A 4th gen with an ls3 is a very formidable opponent. Is a lighter car, more aerodynamic, lighter and more efficient drive train. Lighter wheels and brakes. You can not compare the two. Even if a 4th gen is lighter by only 300lbs (3800 vs 3500 with is the weights of these two vehicles) the 4th gen with the same stuff done to it will walk all over a 5th gen. I’ve had both. The rotating mass on the 4th gen is much less. That accounts for much more than static weight. I didn’t think I’d have to explain all that, but this is the internet and as usual, someone will disagree.

Which is why I own a 4th gen and not a 5th gen. I agree with what you are saying. OP said he wants to out run ls3s though, so that includes the c6 which weighs less than both.

Kfxguy 05-18-2019 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by kbronSS (Post 20097402)
I believe that was with the stage2, not the ghost cam. And he has a FAST set up, PRC heads i think too. I did a lot of research on the cam and spoke to summit about it also. Of course i would/could get 100whp on a setup but then comes the stall and by the end of it id be in it too much. But it was my top choice as far as cams go.

I just text Mavn. He made 459 with the stage one ghost cam. Which that can that was in his car is in my car now. And it’s super docile and pulls like crazy. He said the stage two probably picked up 30 wheel. Not worth it in my opinion unless your gonna do the stall to match. It’s all about combo. I was at the track when he ran 11.10 with the ghost cam. Now the car has been lightened and he knows what he’s doing with that combo, but that just shows the potential. I’m just a firm believer in that cam, it’s the best cam I’ve tried so far. It does it all. Which is amazing.

Btw, we all know that difference between good ls heads isn’t that huge. So you’ll still be making really good power. Your choice, but there’s no question in my mind what route I’d go.

kbronSS 05-18-2019 07:16 PM

I wasnt even thinking id hit 400whp with my mods and that cam...interesting.

Kfxguy 05-18-2019 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kbronSS (Post 20097475)
I wasnt even thinking id hit 400whp with my mods and that cam...interesting.

If you have full length headers, certainly you can. Even without headers, the cam I mentioned will still do very well because of the intake - exhaust split.

BCNUL8R 05-19-2019 07:23 AM

I've had heads and cam, cam only, turbo, 408 stroker w/nitrous, and now my first procharged setup. I'm really liking my current setup, but I think the 408 with nitrous was my favorite so far.

ovaboost 05-25-2019 11:22 PM

I got bone stock 02 trans am 29k miles only mods nx plate kit 150 shot with a lnc-2000 for timing and 15x10 mt drag radials and ran a 7.39 1/8 mile et and i whooped up on 5.0s with na and whipples dodge chargers challengers

Pull timing change plugs and spray away