Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam + All Bolt Ons Nitrous Noob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heads/Cam + All Bolt Ons Nitrous Noob.

Alright, it's been a few months since I've modded the car, so I think it's finally time to step up to the bottle.

Current setup:

Heads: TEA Stage 1.5 5.3L Unmilled
Cam: TSP 231/237 .598/.595 112
Intake: Lid, Ported TB
Exhaust: LT's, 3" True Duals
Drivetrain: Spec III, HD Driveshaft, Moser 9" w/ 4.11's
Tires: Always on Drag Radials.

Fuel Pump: Stock
Injectors: Stock
Spark Plugs: TR55's

It's been tuned perfect for the current NA setup.

Question 1: Can I safely spray a 75-100 shot (wet) without upgrading fuel pump?
Question 2: Do I need to retune for a 75-100 shot (wet)? If so, can I set up a system that pulls timing temporarily for the nitrous shot, then returns to normal when NA.
Question 3: Do I need to swap to TR6's?
Question 4: Will I be sacrificing any power when running on motor to be tuned properly for a small shot? I don't want to be down a handful of ponies 99% of the time for the 1% of the time I'll be spraying.

I have my sights set on a TNT F1 kit (or something comparable).

I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to nitrous.
Thanks.

Edit: If I do need to retune, I'll most probably wait 'till I get a new LSX 90mm intake, then I'll slap on the bottle and take the car down to the dyno again to have everything squared up again.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 08-17-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on using nitrous at the track or on the week ends and your only looking for 75-100hp you can achieve that very easy. I would run a wet kit with 100+ unleaded and leave the stock timing alone as long as your timing is at its factory setting. If you have a after market chip that advances timing you will need to take timing out. Let us know if you need anything. We have a wet kit for your car $459.95 FREE SHIPPING...
Old 08-17-2004, 09:27 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wholesalenitrousmike
If you plan on using nitrous at the track or on the week ends and your only looking for 75-100hp you can achieve that very easy. I would run a wet kit with 100+ unleaded and leave the stock timing alone as long as your timing is at its factory setting. If you have a after market chip that advances timing you will need to take timing out. Let us know if you need anything. We have a wet kit for your car $459.95 FREE SHIPPING...

The car has been tuned on LS1Edit for the current setup. I know little about tuning, but I'd bet that the factory timing is no longer set.
I'd want the nitrous ready on the street, on pump gas.

If it needs to be retuned, I'll have the PCM retuned. For now, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into, therefore the questions.

Old 08-17-2004, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
The car has been tuned on LS1Edit for the current setup. I know little about tuning, but I'd bet that the factory timing is no longer set.
I'd want the nitrous ready on the street, on pump gas.

If it needs to be retuned, I'll have the PCM retuned. For now, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into, therefore the questions.

If you want to run it on pump gas you need to check out your timing and I would retard 2-4 degrees to be on the safe side.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Fuel pump - your stock unit should be fine
2) Do you own a copy of LS1 Edit? If so just do a separate program for your nitrous runs - you would only have to pull 2 degrees of timing. You would have 1 for N/A; 1 for nitrous
3) To be on the safe side, switch to NGK 6's. Gap at .0040. You will not loose much or anything on N/A runs
4) See answer #2

The TNT F1 kit will serve you well.

Have you done anything to your suspension - I would hope so. You'll need it.

I would up grade to a set of slicks for the track only. With 4.11 and 100 shot 26x10x15 will work.

You didn't say if an A4 or M6 ?? You'll need to work out the launch. Last year with my M6, I launched off Harlan's 2-step. 5200 rmp dumps. Totally stock engine netted 11.38. This year, switched to an TH-400, with now 4800 stall, using the T-brake and 2-step. 100 shot got me 10.74 at 125+mph. With 150 shot, 10.56 at 125mph - but should (hopefully) improve on that time this weekend. See signature for times. My site for mods.

David
Old 08-17-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Question 2: Do I need to retune for a 75-100 shot (wet)? If so, can I set up a system that pulls timing temporarily for the nitrous shot, then returns to normal when NA.
Question 4: Will I be sacrificing any power when running on motor to be tuned properly for a small shot? I don't want to be down a handful of ponies 99% of the time for the 1% of the time I'll be spraying.
1: Your stock fuel pump will be fine for a 100 shot.
2: You most-likely won't need a re-tune.
3: You will want the insurance of a TR-6 spark plug.
4: You won't sacrafice your NA power. Simply have a good motor tune put on the car and then spray it. Your tune should be about dead on when you spray.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Junkie

It's been tuned perfect for the current NA setup.

If it's safe your looking for then you should upgrade your pump. Last thing you want is a lean condition. Also you mention it's tuned perfect for NA... does that mean for max HP? If so, you might want to pull 1 deg of timing for a 100 shot.
A wideband tune will again be the safest bet of knowing what the car is doing for a/f: avoid going lean, live long and prosper. With a 100 shot you might not need to change much, but the cost of knowing is cheap compared to the cost of damage.
Again it's cheap insurance as the gas likes a colder plug to avoid detonation.
Yes, you'll give up a little bit, but probably not enough to worry. If you want to run gas, then that's what you should set up your car for. The small amount it will slow down on motor will be worth the peace of mind on gas.

There may be others that would say it's only a 100 shot. All these items may not be a neccesity, but I prefer to air on the conservative side. Hope this helps.

Eric
Old 08-17-2004, 10:54 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Very, very helpful information.
Much appreciated.
The car is an M6 by the way.

So, should I permanently pull the 1 degree of timing, or do people use a MAFT like device to do this for their nitrous runs.
I don't have ls1edit. I just bolt stuff on to the car and take it in for tuning once the changes become substantial.

It looks like I'll combine the nitrous install with the intake, to get my tuning $$$ worth.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 08-17-2004 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's my 2cents. I'm a 'stang owner so take it FWIW.

TR6's are a must.
Stock fuel pump should be ok, but I wouldn't test it's limits. Going lean on the sauce is a bad thing. Besides, it's easy to upgrade (Walbro).
Retune? It's a good idea. Strap it on the dyno and take a look at the A/F on the spray. Retarding the timing may not be necessary. It depends how many degrees your running currently.

Overall, my recommendation is to play it safe. You don't want to blow the welds off your intake. Upgrade the pump, install TR6's, get a dyno tune. Be safe and it'll be a monster. You shouldn't lose much power N/A vs. nitrous.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:36 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Here's my 2cents. I'm a 'stang owner so take it FWIW.

TR6's are a must.
Stock fuel pump should be ok, but I wouldn't test it's limits. Going lean on the sauce is a bad thing. Besides, it's easy to upgrade (Walbro).
Retune? It's a good idea. Strap it on the dyno and take a look at the A/F on the spray. Retarding the timing may not be necessary. It depends how many degrees your running currently.

Overall, my recommendation is to play it safe. You don't want to blow the welds off your intake. Upgrade the pump, install TR6's, get a dyno tune. Be safe and it'll be a monster. You shouldn't lose much power N/A vs. nitrous.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

i agree with the posts above, better safe than sorry. with your setup, your car is going to LOVE the juice!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Carlos....

here is what i think

Dan hit the nail on the head, but really your fuel pump can still last and hold up to what you have.

other then that maybe get some dyno runs, view your AF and then maybe if you have to richen it up and pull a degree of timing out to be safe...

over all you will still run great on motor and on gas. I hope you get the dope and have fun with it!!

Gray
Old 08-18-2004, 07:51 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Excellent.
All my questions are answered. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:36 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. You should be fine, but I would definately think about upgrading it if it is in budget. As dan said, it's relatively cheap and simple insurance ... people who run lean are the reason nitrous has a bad rap. Lean = boom. As they said, pop it on the dyno on a 100 shot to make sure the pump can handle it before you go nuts.

2. I would pull two degrees of timing to be on the safe side. Most NA tunes have the timing maxed out. There are tons of devices that can pull timing for you when you spray. 'Timing tuner' is one that comes to mind.

3. Yes, Period. .37-.40 seems to be the most acceptable range from what I have found.

4. Well, if you pull timing and add some fuel, which is pretty standard for a nitrous tune, you will see a loss of NA power. How much depends on how much timing u pull and how much fuel u add, but you could definately see 10 hp or so loss. To avoid this, spend the money you would've spent on a retune, on something that does both of these for you ... check out thunder racing, I think they have a few of them.

Good luck boss.