Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wiring question

I have run one wire for the bottle heater to a 12v source(orange wire with fuse) and now have a seocnd 12v wire that I need to run for the auto bottle opener. Can I just spice into the one that is already run? Both wires have a fuse on them so I do not see a problem with it.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a tuff call, not knowing the wire gauge you have or amp rating on bott noid. Myself, I run dedicated wires and relays/fuses for each for safety.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Robert56
That's a tuff call, not knowing the wire gauge you have or amp rating on bott noid. Myself, I run dedicated wires and relays/fuses for each for safety.
The wire gauge is 14 and the fuse for the bottle heater is a 30 and the opener is a 15. I would be running both wires to the same point for the power source so it did not seem like it would effect the setup especially with the bottle opener fuse being half the rating of the heater.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:12 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pushinfreight
The wire gauge is 14 and the fuse for the bottle heater is a 30 and the opener is a 15. I would be running both wires to the same point for the power source so it did not seem like it would effect the setup especially with the bottle opener fuse being half the rating of the heater.
Depends on what source you are tapping into. It will have to able to handle the amps from both heater & opener as it is very possible they may both operate at the same time. If the source can handle over 30 amps it will work.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by code4
Depends on what source you are tapping into. It will have to able to handle the amps from both heater & opener as it is very possible they may both operate at the same time. If the source can handle over 30 amps it will work.
It is going to the power terminal on the driver side in the engine bay that is covered by the red cap.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:16 PM
9 Second Club

It is going to the power terminal on the driver side in the engine bay that is covered by the red cap.
That will work, you can run just about anything off of that. I've lost count how many things I have hooked to that. Nitrous, line lock etc.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by code4
That will work, you can run just about anything off of that. I've lost count how many things I have hooked to that. Nitrous, line lock etc.
Will it matter on which side of the fuse for the bottle heater to splice?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want the fuse as close to the power source as poss. The whole purpose of the fuse is to protect the wire harness of the opener...
Old 07-10-2005, 01:59 PM
9 Second Club

Will it matter on which side of the fuse for the bottle heater to splice?
You would want splice the opener into the heater wire before the fuse. This way you would not be over taxing the 30 amp fuse with two accessories. The only weakness would be your 14 guage wire but it will probably be OK. 12 might be better. Try operating both & see if the wire gets warm if so try a 12 guage.