Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just watched Pinks -blowtorch-

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I just watched Pinks -blowtorch-

It was two f-body with the n20, well i seen that both of them when using the n20 used blow torchs on the bottles to heat them up.. is that safe and who does it? I dont have a warmer and wanted to make it to the track this season before its over and was thinking about that..

-Steve-
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Addict

eyah just watch the temp on the bottle
Old 09-29-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Junkie

i saw that too. that is something they should not be promoting. if done right, it can be somewhat safe, but can also be extremely dangerous
Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Its not safe. Yes...somebodys brothers uncle from the backwoods has been doing it for years and gotten away with it...but its just a matter of time. Especially on an aluminim bottle. Aluminum will weaken DRASTICALLY if you heat it to a certain point. All it takes is not paying attention and passing over the same spot a few too many times and you could lose your LIFE.

I have been working with compressed gases since 1987 and every once in a while you will hear these sad storys of guys getting maimed or killed from things like this. High pressure tires is another dangerous thing

You can get bottle heaters these days from places like Dynotune.org (sponsor here) for like $59. Get a radio shak relay and some cheap wire and a $1.99 switch and your done.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Resident

ABSOLUTELY 100% NOT SAFE DO NOT DO IT!!!!

These bottles are aluminum when you heat them with a torch the molecules move and shift weakening the bottle. JUST DO NOT DO IT.. if it doesn't blow on you then, it will down the road for your safety please don't.. just get a bottle warmer.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only an Idiot would use a torch. Here' a old trick for making aluim malable. Take your torch and fire up the acetylene like normal, then put torch to aluim surface until covered in the black soot. Then fire up torch like normal and procede to heat aluim. When black disappears, you have reached about 600* and aluim is now ready to be bent/formed (reaches this temp quite easly). So in conclusion, like what Al said, heat one spot too much and you have comprimised it's integrity. Your playing with your life and others. If a track catches you doing this...
I had a old foreman in the shipyards teach me this, he learned it in WWII building war ships.
Robert
Old 09-29-2005, 12:50 AM
On The Tree

ok i guess i will save up for a heater
Old 09-29-2005, 01:02 AM
8 Second Club

Its not safe.. but its all you can do sometimes..

I promote bottle heaters and/or boilers (kind ya cook crabs in) to heat your bottle.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:57 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah blow torching bottles like everyone said is a bad idea...

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
High pressure tires is another dangerous thing
Tell me about it, i work in a tire shop and a while ago we had a guy at another store in our area die when a tire blew up on him. When we air up big truck/semi/dump truck tires we always listen carefully to the tire. If you start hearing a popping you've got about 3 seconds to run and the tire will zipper on ya
Old 09-29-2005, 05:09 AM
11 Second Club

Yikes! You'd have to be a moron or have a death wish to take a blow torch to your nitrous bottle!
Old 09-29-2005, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

NMy buddy used a heating pad for a long time with a poweri inverter. I suggest anything but a torch even though I have done it years ago.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok I'll be the first to admit it, I used to do that too back in the day (stupid, I know). Never again though, I've been using a heater for a while now and I honestly think it's even faster (probably since it has more contact area with the bottle than the torch's flame). Nothing beats a bucket of boiling water in terms of heating up a bottle really fast ! Definitely go with the bottle heater though, no question about it.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:32 AM
11 Second Club

boil some water in a huge pot and let the bottle rest in there for a few minutes...works like a charm. ive never done it cause ive allways had a heater but this is what some of the stories my brainless friends have told me about...along with the whole torch thing which 2 of them still do every weekend when we are about to go racing...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Heck I think most of us old school nitrous junkies have done it a time or 100 Bottle heaters are a relatively new product. Do I recommend the torch? Nope. The only guy that really made me nervous with a torch is a much older friend of mine (60's) who will stand there talking to you, holding the torch without moving it hardly at all.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Torch is bad but i bet most of us "older" guys have done it but I would never do it now.

If you have a spare vehicle around you can always start it and turn the heat on full blast and stick the bottle in the vehicle in the path of the heat. That will heat a bottle quickly and safely in a couple minutes.

Or just spend the $50 and get a proper heater.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Teching In

Could it be dangerous?....yes. But dont run around saying every one who does it is a moron, i can assure you there are a lot more people doing it than admit it. I work with a couple of guys that run e/z street cars and limited street cars, and i have never been to a race where i didnt see at least 90% of the nitrous guys heating bottles. just my .02.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive done it many times before.. i dont reccomend it of course.. i just made absolute sure to watch the pressure and keep the flame moving..
Old 09-29-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Resident

Right but it has nothing to do with the pressure.. it has to do with making aluminum malable..

Just want to see you guys stay safe
Old 09-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Import Patrol

lets see spending money to get a bottle warmer or blowing some of your limbs off. I know what I did. You decide.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Man what are yall talking about, I torch heat Carbon Fiber bottles all the time lol... If we get bored this winter we might just go setup a test rig and see exactly what happens when you leave a torch in 1 spot.. Its definately not a good practice, but cant say my hands are clean of the stupidity myself.. I usually do the car heater method, that was until I just so happened to get pulled over with it chillin in the pass side floor board.. Let me tell ya honesty is the best policy, dont tell them its a fire extinguisher

Quick Reply: I just watched Pinks -blowtorch-