Dry or wet?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT's a dry system.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you'll have a problem. Also, if you're worried, take it off.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Magic Moment
IT's a dry system.
Just making sure. I've never heard of it being a problem. FYI - There are varying views on removing the screen...mine's removed...can't say it really makes much of a difference perfromance wise.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Macon
...mine's removed...can't say it really makes much of a difference perfromance wise.
My screen has been off since I bought her and no issues.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Launching!

I had no problems with a descreened sensor until I installed the supercharger.The car developed a low speed hesitation.I reinstalled the MAF with the screen and the hesitation immediately disappeared.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's a little insight on the screen issue. In '01 the z06 had a screen and 385hp. Then in '02 when upgrading for more HP engineers found the screen as a restriction and removed it, new hp 405 was realized. Really you only need the screen for straighting the air flow, like on a truck that has a 90* turn which will cause turbulance and inncorect maf wire readings, fix is screen to straighten airflow out. I know they put them back in on the LS2 for the reason stated. I would remove, and is the standard, screen for a dry shot because freezing can happen, not tomention restsriction. When I remove mine in my '97 I sqweezed it in a vice, and then I saw how much of a restriction it truly is (ultimate top end power). Hesitation on a supercharger not sure about this, but probably causes turbulance.
Robert
Old 10-19-2005, 06:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's a little insight on the screen issue. In '01 the z06 had a screen and 385hp. Then in '02 when upgrading for more HP engineers found the screen as a restriction and removed it, new hp 405 was realized. Really you only need the screen for straighting the air flow, like on a truck that has a 90* turn which will cause turbulance and inncorect maf wire readings, fix is screen to straighten airflow out. I know they put them back in on the LS2 for the reason stated. I would remove, and is the standard, screen for a dry shot because freezing can happen, not tomention restsriction. When I remove mine in my '97 I sqweezed it in a vice, and then I saw how much of a restriction it truly is (ultimate top end power). Hesitation on a supercharger not sure about this, but probably causes turbulance.
Robert
Robert - are there aftermarket devices that are less restrictive and better directors of flow? Seems like one pops up here and there... I usually blow them off as being nonsense...I may be wrong.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Macon
Robert - are there aftermarket devices that are less restrictive and better directors of flow? Seems like one pops up here and there... I usually blow them off as being nonsense...I may be wrong.
Not really sure, I see this advertisment for this vortex gizzmo? Vararam sells something like what your talking about, but reports are it really does nothing? On the f-Bodys and y-bodys, we have a straight shot and it really isn't needed. Sometimes going to a less restrictive CAI our cars will start throwing codes. Some say, oh the fix is to put the screen in, wrong. Really the problem is better flow, and a re-tune to fix the Long Term Fuel Trims is the answer, not putting restriction back in your intake making it less free flowing again.
Robert