Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max dry shot on stock fuel system with 28lb injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Max dry shot on stock fuel system with 28lb injectors?

As the title says max dry shot on stock fuel system 28lb injectors?
BTLFEDSS
Old 12-14-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went 480rwhp and 5xx torque on stock 28lber's and stock fuel pump, it was a 125rwhp dry shot.
Robert
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

I went 200 dry on the stockers with stock fuel pump.... no problems.

Your's may blow up. I did a bunch of supporting mods to the cooling system and tune to support it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok I have a question. What was the duty cycle on the injectors at his size. We have had cars come in with cam only maxing the duty cyle one the injectors
Dave
Old 12-15-2005, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Ok I have a question. What was the duty cycle on the injectors at his size. We have had cars come in with cam only maxing the duty cyle one the injectors
Dave

I've seen over 140%... they seemed just fine... fuel pressure remained good and none of the injectors died. They are still running in the car as we speak.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Homeslice (tm)
I went 200 dry on the stockers with stock fuel pump.... no problems.

Your's may blow up. I did a bunch of supporting mods to the cooling system and tune to support it.
What supporting mods did you do. share some and save this mans motor
Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen over 140%... they seemed just fine... fuel pressure remained good and none of the injectors died. They are still running in the car as we speak.
Wow are you serious.. We always tell anyone above 85 percent they need to start looking into some injectors. Over that you are taking a chance on them locking up. Ideal is around the 70 percent range.
Dave
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Injector locking must be a rare thing, but when it happens I hear it's ugly
http://photo.worldnews.com/PhotoArch...bf6-medium.jpg
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Wow are you serious.. We always tell anyone above 85 percent they need to start looking into some injectors. Over that you are taking a chance on them locking up. Ideal is around the 70 percent range.
Dave
Well I look at it this way. If they lock up they will lock open or lock closed either way (since I run a dry setup) I am safe. Open it's VERY rich and no problem... closed no fuel and hense no problem.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wilddawg
What supporting mods did you do. share some and save this mans motor

No thermostat, water only, CTS / IAT tricker box, VERY VERY COLD PLUGS, a good handle on timing, no hot lapping, lots of cool down between runs. My engine ran very very cold... some days in the morning I'd have to pull over to let it warm up. Most fo the time it ran in the 150-160 range.

I sprayed the nitrous directly on the MAF wires from just inches away.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Veteran

We have discussed this before If I remember correctly. Homeslice was sprying very close to the maf maxing everything out for about as much fuel flow as the stock stuff would spit out. Then he was pilling up on the nitrous to get the AF in line.

If all the info was accurate it seems like a basic way to test what the stock stuff can handle. And it appears...like many things with GM..its alot more than you would ever think.

Not that I would recomend to the avg user to try this. But the previous discussions where enlightening.
If your a novice user I wouldnt recomend it.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:50 PM
Teching In

OK dumb noobie question here:

140%? Isn't 100% on static?
Old 12-19-2005, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Geo.
OK dumb noobie question here:

140%? Isn't 100% on static?

Makes you wonder how they determine the duty cycle in the PCM code doesn't it?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Static just means they are no longer pulsing, but rather holding wide open. It doesn't indicate total flow capacity though, and thus reporting that they are flowing past static. It's hard on injectors to be at static for very long, however, a 1/4 run the jury is out...
Robert
Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Makes you wonder how they determine the duty cycle in the PCM code doesn't it?
Yep. Maybe it is what the PCM would give if it could based on the MAF reading since you are making it so cold, but not sure if that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Robert56
Static just means they are no longer pulsing, but rather holding wide open. It doesn't indicate total flow capacity though, and thus reporting that they are flowing past static. It's hard on injectors to be at static for very long, however, a 1/4 run the jury is out...
Robert
This I don't get, since being held open and never closing = 100%. They don't get any more open than "wide-open" right? I thought the PCM just knows (how many ms open / ms for two revolutions) for duty cycle. Anyway I'll leave this to the experts (you guys), it just caught my eye

Last edited by Geo.; 12-20-2005 at 02:01 AM. Reason: edit: DC calculation.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Geo.
Yep. Maybe it is what the PCM would give if it could based on the MAF reading since you are making it so cold, but not sure if that makes sense.

This I don't get, since being held open and never closing = 100%. They don't get any more open than "wide-open" right? I thought the PCM just knows (how many ms open / ms for two revolutions) for duty cycle. Anyway I'll leave this to the experts (you guys), it just caught my eye
The question should be, how much can the injector flow at static. You would think if 100% (static) was an indication how much total an injector could flow, homeslice would have blown his motor up for sure. If you think static equals max flow, where did additional fuel come from to support 200hp shot and 140%. He would have been so lean the motor would have not lasted at that power. Static is just the injectors being held open, which is not a perfect scenerio, but obviously can continue to flow fuel. Maybe we have a fueling expert that can give us all some insight on this.
Robert
Old 12-20-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert56
The question should be, how much can the injector flow at static. You would think if 100% (static) was an indication how much total an injector could flow, homeslice would have blown his motor up for sure. If you think static equals max flow, where did additional fuel come from to support 200hp shot and 140%. He would have been so lean the motor would have not lasted at that power. Static is just the injectors being held open, which is not a perfect scenerio, but obviously can continue to flow fuel. Maybe we have a fueling expert that can give us all some insight on this.
Robert
Robert the injector duty cycle as determined in the PCM is obviously not static at all at 100% PCM duty cycle..... It is not possible for an injector to flow more than static (basically open all the time) unless you up fuel pressure. Gotta remember, all ratings are engineered with a certain percentage of safety factor. Then GM engineers chose an injector size and 100% duty based on another safety factor. What this means is that 100% duty via the PCM is probably quite different from static for the stock injector......though a %40 safety factor is quite high.

Last edited by cantdrv65; 12-20-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can tell you when injectors are tested for flow on the test bench they are operated at static for several seconds. This is done during quality control, cleaning, and matching of injectors. This is a true 100% static condition, and not PCM calculated.
If this was a danger issue it would've became well known as fact before now. Further, if the injector somehow became inconsistent due to being run at static, then flow-testing, and flow-matching of injectors on the bench would be highly unreliable. I know of no evidence whatsoever that this has happened.

All the 'evidence' (I use the term loosely) I've ever seen suggesting that running injectors past 80% can damage an engine has come from people who have damaged their engine under boost conditions. This changes the game tremendously because the fuel volume through the pump drops when injectors are firing into a boosted intake manifold. This is not something you'd want while running 8 injectors wide open. There are also those people who out of fear, run the fuel pressure much higher than neccessary not realizing that causes fuel volume to drop even more.
Without knowing more about individual cases I'd say evidence like that is inconclusive as far as blaming the injector for running static.

Every fuel injected vehicle I know of no matter the manufacturer has the PCM programmed ability to run the injectors at 100% DC. It's as simple as starting the engine up dead cold in winter and getting into the throttle. The coolant temp fuel offset alone is well more than enough % extra fuel to cover a 200-shot at normal operating temp. If someone knows of PCM code that prevents a static condition to protect the injector then I'd love to hear about it.

Last edited by white2001s10; 12-20-2005 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

do you guys still have the setup that is going to 140%? Maybe get access to a fluke or a O scope and record the actual pulsewidth if thats possible?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Homeslice, does HPtuner show you pulsewidths?

Quick Reply: Max dry shot on stock fuel system with 28lb injectors?