Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is dry safer than wet for a 100sht?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is dry safer than wet for a 100sht?

I won't be spraying anything more than a 100 shot. After many hours of research it sounds like a dry kit will work best for me. I know this is a newbie question but I have never ran nitrous on any of my cars and want to be safe.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Launching!

short answer due to my lack of knowledge : yes, i think people go up to 150 on a single dry shot
Old 02-12-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

get the nos 5117 dry kit i've been running it for a year now with no probs and it couldn't be safer
Old 02-12-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

it really depends on your car, mods, and goals. some say dry is safer because you dont have to worry about a fuel solenoid failing. where as dry you have to watch your afr a little closer because your depending on your cars stock fuel sytem. it really depends how u look at it and who you talk to. Everyone has their own opinion
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a quick question that will end the debate for the safety thing, who has hurt there motor running a small dry hit? Finding someone is a far and few proposal. Implications that stock fuel system is ok somehow for wet kits but not dry kits really holds no wieght, unless going bigger then injectors will be needed. If you need a fuel pump for dry you will need it for wet. Instead of getting a 5177, we have speced a PRO Dry kit that is better than the 5177 in many ways, and cheaper. So keep us in mind, and if I can help in any way, even on another kit, let me know.
Robert
Old 02-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

i like wet because its easier to tune.. as you tune the car first... then change jets to get to the desired AFR.

as oppose to having to run rich all the time.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I have run 12 or 13 bottles thru mine with the 5177 and no jets.I upgraded fuel pump and injectors.no problems at all afr looks good on dyno.I have a H/C set up on the car as well.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbullapril23
i like wet because its easier to tune.. as you tune the car first... then change jets to get to the desired AFR.

as oppose to having to run rich all the time.
That's not true, except for those that no not what they are doing. Truly two tunes in one. You can pull timing on spray only, and you can richen wot a/f on spray only and not effect your n/a tune. Try that with a wet hit? seems you have it backwards?
Robert
Old 02-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robert56
That's not true, except for those that no not what they are doing. Truly two tunes in one. You can pull timing on spray only, and you can richen wot a/f on spray only and not effect your n/a tune. Try that with a wet hit? seems you have it backwards?
Robert

how do u richen wot AFR with n20 and NA with stock computer?
and how do u pull timing the same?
j/w cuz i dont know.

I like my set up.... id prefer a timing retard box... but dont have one yet.
i have lt1edit and can change the degree of retard based on amont of intake air so at WOT i can retard timing but NA sux retarded so i will save to disk and change back
haha yea PITA is right so until i get the retard box or **** etc and wire it into the progressive controller its ughhh.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

my expirence is only with wet... ive only heard from fellow friends of dry.. so its hear say....and what i thought was true... but ure the master i am the apprentice.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbullapril23
how do u richen wot AFR with n20 and NA with stock computer?
and how do u pull timing the same?
j/w cuz i dont know.

I like my set up.... id prefer a timing retard box... but dont have one yet.
i have lt1edit and can change the degree of retard based on amont of intake air so at WOT i can retard timing but NA sux retarded so i will save to disk and change back
haha yea PITA is right so until i get the retard box or **** etc and wire it into the progressive controller its ughhh.
I have a full write up in my web site under the links section on the how to pull timing-dry shots. The write up for adding fuel while spraying is coming, but the quick descript is IAT (intake air temp) vs Fuel Adder. What you do is log on the spray for IAT, and this will be real cold. then you go to your HP Tuner program to IAT vs Fuel adder tabel and add a wot fuel multiplier to cold areas and below that you logged. This multiplier will be added to your normal WOT Power Enrichment Multiplier that is used for n/a. Now you will be only adding extra fuel while spraying. two tunes in one, and there is more good stuff for tuning dry hits coming, it's (dry) is really catching on, you'll see. I got a new best mph on my little dry today.
Robert
Old 02-12-2006, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

wow man no wonder ive never heard of ne one doing that...until now!
very very very nice!

i love it!
im not sure if you can have 2 maps in lt1 edit.. or r u not saying that...?
well i mean its 2 different beasts... hp tuner and lt1 edit..
ne wayz... the is the future!
Old 02-12-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Neither...both kits are perfectly safe at the 100rwhp level. The only hitch is if you are making more than stock horsepower before adding spray you will likely need to uprgrade the injectors with the dry 100rwhp shot. With a wet hit, you have to stay on top of fuel solenoid maint.....they do fail.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

How much timing does dry kit with a 100 shot usually take out by itself with the factory tune? I know all cars are different but I'm just looking for a ballpark number. What does the A/f usually look like with a dry shot (with ideal conditions)? What happens when the 02's notice the rich condition with a dry kit? Does it try to lean it out or does the MAF overide it?
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BAKNBLK
How much timing does dry kit with a 100 shot usually take out by itself with the factory tune? I know all cars are different but I'm just looking for a ballpark number. What does the A/f usually look like with a dry shot (with ideal conditions)? What happens when the 02's notice the rich condition with a dry kit? Does it try to lean it out or does the MAF overide it?
You'll not need to pull timing on a 100 shot, unless an aftermarket tune has been added. The timing pull was more for reference.
My a/f is between 11.5 and 11.7 with a small dry shot.
The o2's will not notice anything when running wot, as they are out of the picture, 100%. They only sense for optimum 14.7 during part throttle, and running nitrous is only done at wot.
Robert
Old 02-12-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Neither...both kits are perfectly safe at the 100rwhp level. The only hitch is if you are making more than stock horsepower before adding spray you will likely need to uprgrade the injectors with the dry 100rwhp shot. With a wet hit, you have to stay on top of fuel solenoid maint.....they do fail.
I can't really disagree to much. However, .......
Robert
Old 02-13-2006, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to Hijack!
Hey Robert or anyother guru this ? is for a wet kit. My iat and maf are seperate, can I move the iat after the nozzle so the iat will see the temp drop. Log it and pull timing in the appropriate cold cells. Is there anything else IAT affects during wot? Im presently using the High/Low octane spark tables to pull timing at certain rpm vs. grams/cylinder. Looking for another way to pull timing.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Robert56
I can't really disagree to much. However, .......
Robert
See Ive learned to see the dry side of things as well, Im going to be using one for my first stage as soon as I get the engine back together.
I busted a timing chain recently...poor heads.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you saying that tuning isn't necessary when running a dry 100 on an LS1? I can install the kit, plugs, safety devices and be done with it. That sounds almost too easy, but as said above I have no experience with nitrous.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

I would still get the a/f checked just for safety reasons. Better to be safe than sorry.