Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blowing fuse on relay power wire

Old 07-01-2006, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blowing fuse on relay power wire

I was having problems trying to get my timing tuner to work right so I removed it from the wiring. I connected everything else and the solenoids open when I hit the WOT switch, but they stay open for a couple of seconds and then the fuse blows on the power wire going to the relay. I made sure the relay was grounded well. Could this be caused by a bad relay or something else? I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's been 3 years sinced I wired up a system and I'm just scratching my head at this point.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a schematic of how I wired up the system, except I haven't put in the FJO yet. So, at the moment, the solenoids are grounded instead of running to the FJO. I just bought a new relay and put it in and it still isn't right.
Attached Thumbnails Blowing fuse on relay power wire-my-nitrous-setup.jpg  
Old 07-01-2006, 10:56 AM
FormerVendor

What amp fuse are you using?

Matt
Old 07-01-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

15 amp
Old 07-01-2006, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

If they are larger solenoids that might not be enough, could try a 30.

Matt
Old 07-02-2006, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Put the 30 amp in and it will shoot now. I still can't get the upper rpm limit to set for the window switch. It's weird because the lower setting works. I'm just hoping that it's actually retarding timing. When I get my FJO wired in next week, I'll just use the window switch on that instead.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Is the red led light on when the N2O is active? You can easily test that by putting all the dials to 0 and turning the key to acc. press the micro switch and the red led should come on. This test will last for 1 sec only.

Matt
Old 07-04-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the red light does light up when the nitrous activates. I just don't get anything when I set all of the switches for the upper rpm. The red light is supposed to light for 10 seconds, but I get absolutely nothing. I know that the lower rpm setting is working as the nitrous doesn't activate until the 3000 rpm setting that I'm using.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

You mean the light you should get for programing the upper RPM set point? I've never gotton one when setting them, but they have always been set correctly after going through the steps (and getting no LED light).

Matt
Old 07-05-2006, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, the instructions state that you set all of the dials and switches, then turn on the key and you should get the red light for 10 seconds while the unit programs. I don't get any lights. I turn the key and then hit the WOT switch to send power to the unit and I get no lights at all. Oh well, like I said, no biggie at this point as I hope to get the FJO in within the next few days.

It feels good to spray again. I just have to finish things up and take some pictures. Thanks for all the help, Matt. Your custom length hoses really completed my system just the way I invisioned it.

Search this Thread