Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat and solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat and solenoids

well ive been thinking lately and since im getting headers and my solenoids are just chilling about right above them i was wondering if heat kills or hurts the performance of solenoids. either way i plan on moving them back above my intake manifold near my throttle body. O BTW i have a thirdgen you guys are just smarter over here.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard that heat is not good for them so I usually install them near the TB or somewhere along the intake. The solenoids I plan on using for my vette will be on the front frame near the air filter to keep them as cool as possible.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

I have killed small electrical solenoids due to heat/vibration. Granted, they were not heavy duty like you would find in a nitrous kit but it wouldn't hurt to keep them cool if possible.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Resident

I have placed, routed and shielded the lines and solenoids as far from the exhaust as I can - which isn't very far. I don't doubt the heat affects the seals and piston due to expansion but also, I think the nitrous in the lines and solenoids boils back to vapor at -130 degrees which is a good reason for a purge kit.

Wrapping / insulating the lines and keeping solenoid mounting points away from the extreme heat of the exhaust and engine can't be a bad thing. I have / will mount the solenoids on the fender well and chassis to get away from or go lower than the heat source for the reason you asked this question. Good thread IMHO.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

so what about the stainless steel braided lines because i kinda have my nitrous one thats gonna be going about maybe 4-6 inches max over my headers is that bad?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The heat effects the magnet that actuats the noid. My nitrous noids are in the back against the firewall and I have had them refuse to open when it was really hot in the summer. I would spray the area down with nitrous to cool everything down and they would work again. F-body engine bays just plain suck
Old 02-23-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vipershark11
so what about the stainless steel braided lines because i kinda have my nitrous one thats gonna be going about maybe 4-6 inches max over my headers is that bad?
I have seen solenoids in all sorts of places in engine bays and they almost always seem to work fine. I just don't like taking any chances so I install them as far away from heat as I can. Just one less thing to worry about for me.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

but what about the lines and heat? thats my next battle im wondering if i should route the line around the headers and not directly over if it causes a negative effect on them.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

can we get some pictures of where everyone has mounted their solenoids??
Old 02-23-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AS long as you purge, the lines will be cleared of vapor, however, I still wrap mine close to exhaust.
Also, as has been stated, heat can cause your noid(s) to stop working. the reason this happens is resistance. Once hot, it takes more juice to open noid, but because of heat the resistance has gone past what the noids/coil/wiring can pull in the amp department. Bigger stronger noids are less prone to heat sink. I have a pile of heat effected noids in my garage, they still work fine when cold, but after awhile they won't work even if just warm. This happens from being hot to many times and trying to open, they are shot, and has cost me a few races. This has been on dry set-ups so nothing was ever hurt, but if you heat your fuel noid so it won't open, but the n2o opens... Morale of the story, and I have learned the hard way, get quality noids, not the small ones every manufacture offers. A higher amp draw noid means it is more powerfull so it can over come heat issues better.
Robert
Old 02-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

thats where they are now. i have the headers i am putting in before the car comes out of hibernation so thats why i keep saying i have them. will the headers melt the wiring?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

It looks like headers will melt the insulation on your wiring and wire loom. Not all insuation or plastic wire loom have the same temperature rating. Most plastic wire loom you get melts at a pretty low temp. Even if they do not melt insulation and wire loom will get hard and brittle if they are too close to a heat source.

Here is what I did. My brackets are mounted to the head and they get so hot they will burn you as soon as the engine gets hot. I found the 4 round silicone insulators at McMaster Carr. The aluminum plate that the solenoids mount to and the solenoids them selves stays soooo much cooler than the brackets. It sure can't hurt.
Not great pics but you can get the idea. Also don't use rubber insulators because they get soft way below 200 degrees.
http://www.retrorelics.net/jim/Board...Hosting/13.jpg
http://www.retrorelics.net/jim/Board.../Hosting/1.jpg
Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

yea i want to rewire my solenoids anyways looks too sloppy i kinda wired it being all happy to use nitrous for the first time ill probably run it by the back on the engine on top of the intake manifold to the solenoids.