Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Rules for the front plate in washington?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rules for the front plate in washington?

As the title says what is the state law for front plates in WA? I just got my ws6 and want to take the front plate off but cops in everett are so **** i dont want any problems in the future. Thanx guys
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotta have it. That pretty much covers it
Old 10-21-2008, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah pretty much it. When I ran with out a plate for a while the two times I was in everett the moment I drove by an everett cop they pulled me over and warned me about it. Though Everett also will write tickets for stuff that doesn't qualify for the infraction. They wrote me for a neg 2 once and the judge read the officers statement said it didn't constitute neg 2 and dismissed it.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never been hassled in Seattle
and my car is somewhat obnoxious (sp?)
Old 10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
I haven't had any problems in seattle either... even had a Seattle cop pull up next to me once with the cutouts open and he didn't even look twice... Ironic thing was Ridin Dirty came on the radio at the same time lol.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn... O'well i'll just take it off when i take some pics. I have another question about the great state of wa, how does getting your car inspected work up here; I've been told that i dont have to untill its a classic but that seems kinda out of the ordinary, but if so LT's and TSP trued duals will be replacing the stock exhaust very soon!
Old 10-21-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by HitmanLSX
I haven't had any problems in seattle either... even had a Seattle cop pull up next to me once with the cutouts open and he didn't even look twice... Ironic thing was Ridin Dirty came on the radio at the same time lol.
HAHA. Man i swear i have great luck in my camaro. Its my POS acura vigor that gets me in the trouble. I go to a community college that is 1 block away from the north seattle precint and my dumbass desides to get a little crazy in an intersection...little did i know SPD was right behind me
but he let me go! i swear, Seattle cops are pretty damn chill.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
Damn... O'well i'll just take it off when i take some pics. I have another question about the great state of wa, how does getting your car inspected work up here; I've been told that i dont have to untill its a classic but that seems kinda out of the ordinary, but if so LT's and TSP trued duals will be replacing the stock exhaust very soon!
Youll be good. I passed with TSP true duals and a healthy cam. all they do is read your OBDII and check gas cap pressure or some stuff
Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Gotta have it. That pretty much covers it
Yup. Saying that though, I don't have mine on...

With that, my exhaust, and tint, I just have to make sure when I get pulled over for any of those I am not doing/have anything stupid in my car, as I can legitimately get pulled over anytime I get in the car...
Old 10-21-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

True! This guy here (Joey) and I live near the U Village area of Seattle and none of us have plates, and we both have long tubes and true duals, and although I've gotten pulled over plenty of times, I've gotten all warnings. Seattle cops may have bigger stuff to worry about?

Ex: The last time I got pulled over, it was right near my house, and he was like "License and reg, and insurance..."

I gave it to him, and he was like "I pulled you over for no front plate... so now I'm gonna run your license now... I'm not gonna find anything like a suspended license or anything am I?"

It surprised me, and I realized, given the car I drive and my age, he thinks I'm a street race or something, and I said "No sir."

He comes back and sees I have a clean record and then is really nice to me and says "Hey I gave you a warning but please put the plate on, as it would suck for you to have to pay 121 dollars for something such as that."
Old 10-21-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The plate is staying on, dont need the cops taking money from my exhaust funds! Thanx
Old 10-21-2008, 08:26 AM
12 Second Club

HAHA. Man i swear i have great luck in my camaro. Its my POS acura vigor that gets me in the trouble. I go to a community college that is 1 block away from the north seattle precint and my dumbass desides to get a little crazy in an intersection...little did i know SPD was right behind me
but he let me go! i swear, Seattle cops are pretty damn chill.
Heh I had a rough week once when I worked downtown, that friday I was getting on the express lanes and it was wide open no one front of me for 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile so I floored it. hit about 130. Next thing I know i see lights weaving through traffic that was behind me. Catches up to me and it's a seattle PD vice/transport van lol. He asked what the hurry was I told him the truth had a rough week and just floored it but slowed down once I hit traffic, didn't know how fast I was going really. He took my info came back and was like here ya go, I'm not gonna ruin your friday night but WSP won't be so nice. Starts heading back then turns around, "oh yeah, i was doing over 110 trying to catch up to you".
Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

haha over here in puyallup i drive by atleast 4 cops per day... haven't had a front plate since i put my new grill on..
Old 10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Teching In

No front plate on any of the cars or trucks for the past 14 or so years. Pulled over a couple of times with warnings but my wife has been given one ticket. That was about 7 years ago. Worth it to me to not run a front plate. Even if I was ticketed once a year.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:31 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy, $12 solution.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Same mod on mine as DrEvyl.
Conforms to California VC5021 stating a front license plate must be:
1. securely mounted so it cannot swing.
2. clearly visible
3. clearly legible
4. not less than 12 inches or more than 60 inches above the ground.

I am sure Wa. has a code to address this. Do a search for Vehicle Codes for Washington.
Then filter by tag, or license plate until you find the one you need.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:58 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OEM_TA
Same mod on mine as DrEvyl.
Conforms to California VC5021 stating a front license plate must be:
1. securely mounted so it cannot swing.
2. clearly visible
3. clearly legible
4. not less than 12 inches or more than 60 inches above the ground.

I am sure Wa. has a code to address this. Do a search for Vehicle Codes for Washington.
Then filter by tag, or license plate until you find the one you need.
Yeah, Washington's code is almost the same, except they recently modified it to remove the 'not less than 12" off the ground' clause. My plate mount is 9" off the ground with the way the car sits, and that made it real easy.. but it's still technically within the law. You'd have to get a real ******* cop to get them to mess with you on it.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I have been pulled over multiple times in my 98 and I have the plate just as DrEvyl. No Luck with that.

With my 97 though i have been lucky (though it is my DD) and i dont even have the DrEvyl mod on it.

Having said that i am seriously thinking of getting the front plate mounted.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RoostersTA
I have been pulled over multiple times in my 98 and I have the plate just as DrEvyl. No Luck with that.

With my 97 though i have been lucky (though it is my DD) and i dont even have the DrEvyl mod on it.

Having said that i am seriously thinking of getting the front plate mounted.

Mounted like that may not prevent you from getting pulled over.
Not every police officer has memorized every vehicle code.
But if you are within the VC for your state you can prevent getting / paying a ticket, which is the main objective.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

The only time I've ever heard of someone getting pulled for no front plate in the lakewood area is coming onto mcchord one morning a couple months ago when the SPs were on a mission to give citations to everyone without it.

Quick Reply: Rules for the front plate in washington?