Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

New Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smoke20
The point I brought up had nothing to do with car sales, it was stricly a fact, the reason for the F-body production stopage had little to do with actual car sales but more with not wanting to continue with the agreement it had with the canadian government on the building of the cars. Ford has lived on the hog so to speak lately due to there being no competition against the underpowered and inexpensive mustang. Now that Dodge and GM are back in the mix it will change the dynamics and I expect Mustang sales to take a hit, at least with the male population
Saying that a certain car is a chick car is OPINION, not fact. And you really should do some research on F-body sales especially compared to the mustang. The Ford was outgunned in performance and it could still outsell the F-body. Just goes to show not everybody is intersted in having the fastest car.
And as far as the Camaro taking some of the Mustangs pie, I have no doubt it will. Its a pretty cool car. I just hope it and the Challenger can sell well enough to help Chrysler and GM. Just as I hope the new styling of the Mustang keeps them rolling off the lots.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by turbo50
Saying that a certain car is a chick car is OPINION, not fact. And you really should do some research on F-body sales especially compared to the mustang. The Ford was outgunned in performance and it could still outsell the F-body. Just goes to show not everybody is intersted in having the fastest car.
And as far as the Camaro taking some of the Mustangs pie, I have no doubt it will. Its a pretty cool car. I just hope it and the Challenger can sell well enough to help Chrysler and GM. Just as I hope the new styling of the Mustang keeps them rolling off the lots.
Mustang sales are more than double those of Camaro over the years even when Camaro held a performance advantage. Primary reason is the number of woman that drive Mustangs versus Camaros. More women buy Mustangs than have ever bought Camaros. With the exception of the V8 variant Mustangs marketed to men the majority of Mustang marketing has gone towards female buyers and the sales numbers represent that. Mustang = Chick car. Camaros have rarely appealed to women en mass as the Mustang has because the Camaro is a male targeted car.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Proof they aren't only chick cars.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
Proof they aren't only chick cars.

Ahhh where to begin....
Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NW94Z
Mustang sales are more than double those of Camaro over the years even when Camaro held a performance advantage. Primary reason is the number of woman that drive Mustangs versus Camaros. More women buy Mustangs than have ever bought Camaros. With the exception of the V8 variant Mustangs marketed to men the majority of Mustang marketing has gone towards female buyers and the sales numbers represent that. Mustang = Chick car. Camaros have rarely appealed to women en mass as the Mustang has because the Camaro is a male targeted car.
What Joe has posted here is the MAIN reason the Mustang out sells the Camaro. It has been researched to death. The Camaro in the beginning and many points along the way has out performed the Mustang BUT has always been a "Man" car. Steph had to actually drive a Camaro before she wanted one. She a had a Mustang and had never even thought of having a "Manly" car like a Camaro until then.

To Ford's Credit they have kept that market. Most Women would say they want a new Mustang with out even seeing one becuse they want a newer verision of what all the other girls have.

Bobby you can always be our Bitch
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default 2010 Mustang Disappointment

Just finished watching the Speed channels coverage of the 2010 Mustang. Don't care for any of the styling changes, but understand that styling is in the eye of the beholder. However, the lack of horsepower improvements and no six speed, IS UNFORGIVEABLE!!!

I am beginning to think Hyundi will offer a six speed before Ford does in the GT Mustang. Heck the parts already exist, since they come in the Shelby's!

What a stinking disappointment!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GT-347
Just finished watching the Speed channels coverage of the 2010 Mustang. Don't care for any of the styling changes, but understand that styling is in the eye of the beholder. However, the lack of horsepower improvements and no six speed, IS UNFORGIVEABLE!!!

I am beginning to think Hyundi will offer a six speed before Ford does in the GT Mustang. Heck the parts already exist, since they come in the Shelby's!

What a stinking disappointment!!!
I am not trying flame a fire there but I cna explain that part. They all the parts on the books to do it and the "Term" came with it...with a different 5th and 6th. There is your first clue

Down and dirty. The Ford power plant does not produce enough Torque down low under 2,000 RPM to drive 6th gear.

Cubic Inches. They have been raping there cars of them for years!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

You guys got me laughing my mo-fuggin *** off. I love this site sometimes.

Tell yourselves whatever you need to so you can feel better but everyone knows girls like Hondas. Those are the real chick cars.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until the new Camaro comes out, I still like the Challenger the most.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turbo50
You guys got me laughing my mo-fuggin *** off. I love this site sometimes.

Tell yourselves whatever you need to so you can feel better but everyone knows girls like Hondas. Those are the real chick cars.
Jettas. THAT is a chick car. I'll see what kind of special editions come out, but thet Grabber Blue and Kona Blue Metallic are pretty awesome.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Launching!

The GT is the mid level Mustang. Plain and simple it is under $25K. That is why it doesn't have nicer parts (ie: bigger motor, six speed, etc). Those are reserved for the Cobra and it's price tag to match.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:05 AM
11 Second Club

eric dirves a jetta!!! ha ha. I actually like those little cars though. They are nice as hell for a smaller four dour car.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
I am not trying flame a fire there but I can explain that part. They all the parts on the books to do it and the "Term" came with it...with a different 5th and 6th. There is your first clue

Down and dirty. The Ford power plant does not produce enough Torque down low under 2,000 RPM to drive 6th gear.

Cubic Inches. They have been raping there cars of them for years!
Ellis, if imports with 2-1/2" stroke six cylinder can handle a six speed, I am sure 3-1/2" stroke 4.6L can also. I would however agree that a sixth gear works better with more torque. I have emailed Ford quite a bit over the last three years to give us bigger cubes and a six speed.

Some time back, I drove my buddies 2000 TransAm and I am impressed that with 3.42 gears and in 6th gear at 65 MPH, it accelerated well, without bogging. A 4.6L would not have responded as well. But hey, Ford has done well with 281 cubes. I am just a bit cranked that Ford keeps farting around, giving the government time to find a way to kill the muscle car era all over again.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Ellis, if imports with 2-1/2" stroke six cylinder can handle a six speed, I am sure 3-1/2" stroke 4.6L can also. I would however agree that a sixth gear works better with more torque. I have emailed Ford quite a bit over the last three years to give us bigger cubes and a six speed.

Some time back, I drove my buddies 2000 TransAm and I am impressed that with 3.42 gears and in 6th gear at 65 MPH, it accelerated well, without bogging. A 4.6L would not have responded as well. But hey, Ford has done well with 281 cubes. I am just a bit cranked that Ford keeps farting around, giving the government time to find a way to kill the muscle car era all over again.

I hear you WHy do you think I went from a die hard Ford guy with a 68 Fairlane and a 289 to a Camaro!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you WHy do you think I went from a die hard Ford guy with a 68 Fairlane and a 289 to a Camaro!
A die-hard Ford guy? Nah, no "true" die hard Ford guy, EVER becomes a Chev guy.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

He's got ya there.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Even a Ford Guy can get smart! You guys even Remember the early 80s? You can say I got out just before it got good but It is STILL cheaper
Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crazylane
eric dirves a jetta!!! ha ha. I actually like those little cars though. They are nice as hell for a smaller four dour car.
Don't ever replace the heater core on one, or any VW for that matter.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Has anyone mentioned that Fords suck?
Old 11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bobby you can always be our Bitch

You can't afford me Ellis!