Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Moving to Portland, saying Hello and looking for advice!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:46 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Moving to Portland, saying Hello and looking for advice!

Well, due to work, I am moving to Portland from Dallas Texas.
Any input on where to live?
Office is around 1100 SW 5th Avenue, but I am in sales and will be traveling
around the enite Northwest. (Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake, Northern California.)

I want to be near the airport, and will be headed into the office about once a week.
If I am not traveling, I am working from a home office most of the time.

Should I live in Portland, or go north across the river somewhere in Washington?
I want to be no further than 45 minutes from the airport.

If I live in Wash, I can avoid the state income tax. (Work form home location dictates taxes for me.) But then I have to deal with the sales tax.

Quality of life is important to me, I am single and want to be able to enjoy my down time.
Also, what are the tracks like? I want to bring my car out there, but will probably be in an apartment or town home fr the first 6 months.
How long during the year are tracks open?

Thanks guys, looking forward to meeting you when I get up there.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest living in Washington. I live in Vancouver and am about 10 minutes from the airport. Yes the sales tax thing sux's, but you can drive over to Portland to buy most things and not pay it. On big ticket items (cars, boats, etc.) is really the only place you get hit on. But if you are to itemize your taxes, there is a place for sales tax to be claimed if you live in a state that does not have income tax.

PIR (Portland International Raceway) is really close. Woodburn is about an hour away. Tracks are typically open from March to October weather permitting.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Well, due to work, I am moving to Portland from Dallas Texas.
Any input on where to live?
Office is around 1100 SW 5th Avenue, but I am in sales and will be traveling
around the enite Northwest. (Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake, Northern California.)

I want to be near the airport, and will be headed into the office about once a week.
If I am not traveling, I am working from a home office most of the time.

Should I live in Portland, or go north across the river somewhere in Washington?
I want to be no further than 45 minutes from the airport.

If I live in Wash, I can avoid the state income tax. (Work form home location dictates taxes for me.) But then I have to deal with the sales tax.

Quality of life is important to me, I am single and want to be able to enjoy my down time.
Also, what are the tracks like? I want to bring my car out there, but will probably be in an apartment or town home fr the first 6 months.
How long during the year are tracks open?

Thanks guys, looking forward to meeting you when I get up there.
Welcome to the NW Section.

If you're coming here from Texas, then living in Portland is going to be a culture shock for you. Get ready for alot of uptight Prius-driving conservatives shoving the "going green" movement down your throat lol.... Nothing wrong with saving a few trees, but I don't peronsally need to hear about it on every street corner.

Vancouver is a bit more liberal. Sure you deal with the sales tax here, but you can make your major purchases in Portland and avoid the tax hit on expensive items. If you live near the eastside of Vancouver, it's less than 20 minutes to the airport.

Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 07:42 AM
On The Tree

I like the Vancouver area more, especially on the outer edges. There's some nice neighborhoods around, and it's close to all the big shops in Portland in one respect, without the hustle and bustle.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with these guys, Vancouver is probably your best bet. If you wanted a nice area in Portland that is close to the Airport "Sandstone" is a nice neighborhood. Good luck and welcome
Old 03-09-2010, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Thanks guys. I appreciate the welcome and look forward to meeting you.
What is the status on the emissions inspection if I live in Vancouver?
My car is not an issue as it is a track car only, but I am cocerned about my truck.
I get by in Texas since it throws no codes.
Probably will be getting a sedan for work when I get up there.
If any of you Vancouver guys see a nice duplex or an apartment with a Garage (Attached if possible) send me a pm. Even a house for rent, as long as it is reasonable.
It is just me so a townhome/duplex seems to be the best bet.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:17 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
I would suggest living in Washington. I live in Vancouver and am about 10 minutes from the airport. Yes the sales tax thing sux's, but you can drive over to Portland to buy most things and not pay it. On big ticket items (cars, boats, etc.) is really the only place you get hit on. But if you are to itemize your taxes, there is a place for sales tax to be claimed if you live in a state that does not have income tax.

PIR (Portland International Raceway) is really close. Woodburn is about an hour away. Tracks are typically open from March to October weather permitting.
Sounds like Vancouver is going to be home. How strict is PIR as far as safety tech?
Also, what kind of class racing is available? I run a bracket series here, as well as a 275 heads up class. Nothing wrong with test and tune, but I would like to do some competitve racing as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 AM
8 Second Club

BTW, what are gun laws like in Seattle and Washington?
I have my CHL, but there are no reciprocity agreements with either state.
So, I may have to wait until I become a resident to get my CHL up there.

What about home protection? I know California hates anything with more than 10 rounds in a clip.
Are gun ranges readily available? Would a guy with semi auto rifles and high capacity mags be looked at as a "criminal" or a weirdo?
Just trying to figure out what stuff to bring with me, and what stuff to leave in storage at my brothers house.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Regular

As for emissions here, I have yet to deal with it. They only do testing on anything more than 5 years old, and I usually trade every 4 to 5 so I haven't had to deal with it personally. But that will change this year. My understanding is on OBD2 cars they just hook up a scanner and as long as no codes, you are golden. But anything older they do hook up a sniffer.

PIR runs a Summit Bracket series (sportsman, pro, super pro) on Wednesday nights (1/8 mile). Their is also a heads up group (headsupnw.com) that runs PIR and Woodburn with several different classes and run 1/4. Woodburn has a regular bracket series on weekends as well.

As for gun laws, I don't know. But I know many people have consealed weapons permits. Also I know of a couple shooting ranges here in Vancouver and one is about a mile from my house. I can hear the semi auto's often on the weekends.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like Vancouver is going to be home. How strict is PIR as far as safety tech?
Also, what kind of class racing is available? I run a bracket series here, as well as a 275 heads up class. Nothing wrong with test and tune, but I would like to do some competitve racing as well.
Check out Heads Up Northwest website. They have alot of info about the group and a message board. I go by 'M Hankel' on that forum. http://www.headsupnw.com/ I'm trying to get my car ready to run in the 10.50 index class for the first time this coming season. They have four classes so I'm sure you'll fit into one of those classes. There's some pretty fast cars in the outlaw, drag radial, and true street classes. When were you moving?

Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

WA gun laws are more open than TX on some things from what I understand.

from what I understand there is reciprocity... keep your TX permit and get one from WA when you get residence and you have more states w/ reciprocity. CPL takes going to the sheriffs office, filling out papers, finger prints, and a background check... no classes.

What about home protection? I know California hates anything with more than 10 rounds in a clip.
30 round mags are common and fully legal, so are 100+ round mags. castle law applies... it's your home.

Are gun ranges readily available? Would a guy with semi auto rifles and high capacity mags be looked at as a "criminal" or a weirdo?
Just trying to figure out what stuff to bring with me, and what stuff to leave in storage at my brothers house.
unless you have NFA class-III/IV type stuff, you're fine In WA. if you do have that stuff, you probably already know this...
There are ranges all over the state, I try to shoot trap at a range in Renton, Wa on a regular basis. rules about High-cap mags vary by the range. there are a few outdoor places in the woods left to shoot, and if we take care of them we'll be able to keep them. hope it helps...

some links that may be helpful- you can link from them about most firearms questions regarding WA.

WAC-they're a big gun org that fight any anti-gun legislation in WA, and is NRA affiliated....
http://washingtonarmscollectors.org/

if those evil black rifles are your thing....
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=15
Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned

So, I may have to wait until I become a resident to get my CHL up there.

I myself have a CHL. If I was you I would get a CHL in both Wa and Oregon. Washington is so easy as is Oregon to get one. That way when you drive back and forth from Or to Wa, you won't have to unload the gun/rifle and store it out of reach. The whole point in possessing a CHL is to have it ready for war at all times right As far as home protection goes, you can possess as large of capacity magazine as you can get. When I lived in Vancouver I purchased several 33 rnd G17 Mags along with a 75 round drum mag and 30-40 rnd mags for my AK-47's. Oregon and Washington at this point is one of the best places to live if you are a gun owner... AT THIS POINT There is a really nice outdoor range in Vancouver I go to all the time. Great central location and inexpensive to go to. I also know of several spots in Oregon up in the MTNS. that are fun to go to as well. Look forward to meet you.

Elliott
Old 03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use a bazooka myself for home use! My travel gun is a dirty harry 357!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
I myself have a CHL. If I was you I would get a CHL in both Wa and Oregon. Washington is so easy as is Oregon to get one. That way when you drive back and forth from Or to Wa, you won't have to unload the gun/rifle and store it out of reach. The whole point in possessing a CHL is to have it ready for war at all times right As far as home protection goes, you can possess as large of capacity magazine as you can get. When I lived in Vancouver I purchased several 33 rnd G17 Mags along with a 75 round drum mag and 30-40 rnd mags for my AK-47's. Oregon and Washington at this point is one of the best places to live if you are a gun owner... AT THIS POINT There is a really nice outdoor range in Vancouver I go to all the time. Great central location and inexpensive to go to. I also know of several spots in Oregon up in the MTNS. that are fun to go to as well. Look forward to meet you.

Elliott
Hey Elliot, hit me up next time you go shootin'. I haven't plinked rounds in a long time. When I get back to work again, I'd like to pick up semi-auto Sig or...?

Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zlicious94
I use a bazooka myself for home use! My travel gun is a dirty harry 357!
Do you sag your pants and scream "Thug Life" when you let loose the Bazooka?

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Hey Elliot, hit me up next time you go shootin'. I haven't plinked rounds in a long time. When I get back to work again, I'd like to pick up semi-auto Sig or...?

Mike
Yeah Mikey I def will. My buddy and I are going next Monday right by your house at English Pit Shooting range if you wanna go. I have several different calibers you can shoot to see what you might like best and want to buy.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah Mikey I def will. My buddy and I are going next Monday right by your house at English Pit Shooting range if you wanna go. I have several different calibers you can shoot to see what you might like best and want to buy.
Cool, I know where that range is. It's about 3 blocks from Brenda's parents place and right next to the baseball fields. I'm thinking about a 9mm or .45 auto.

Mike
Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6

Mike
You need one of these Mike. The most accurate and reliable pistol I have ever shot. HK USP Compact .45
Attached Thumbnails Moving to Portland, saying Hello and looking for advice!-10921196461.jpg  
Old 03-09-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^good choice right there, I like my M&P40 i got it on sale and really like it for the money but the USP is a nice gun for sure, as are the Sigs
Old 03-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
^good choice right there, I like my M&P40 i got it on sale and really like it for the money but the USP is a nice gun for sure, as are the Sigs
I like the M&P as well. I got that HK new from one of their Reps for really inexpensive. I have shot some insane groups w/ the HK. 5 rounds touching each other side by side at 30 yards. Hitting quarters dead on at 20 plus yards. The Springfield XD Series 9mm and .45 is another great one Mike. Their .45 has the highest capacity for a .45 I believe it is 15+1. The norm is usually around 8+1 in a .45 I've also got a Glock 17 which is the full size 9mm you can shoot. Plenty of 33 rounders for you to load up and shoot
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude im rockwood thuggin fo life bro! Saggin pants, pitbulls, camaros with c-bo bumpin down the ave

Quick Reply: Moving to Portland, saying Hello and looking for advice!