Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Oregon plate law!!! Check it out...PLZ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oregon plate law!!! Check it out...PLZ!!!

Well this is from ODOT them self.. Copy this and print it and put it your glove box. It says NOTHING about your front plate has to be on your front bumper

Here is the section of the Oregon Revised Statutes dealing with display of license plates:

803.540 Failure to display plates; exceptions; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to display registration plates if the person operates, on the highways of this state, any vehicle or camper that has been assigned registration plates by this state and the registration plates assigned to the vehicle or camper are displayed in a manner that violates any of the following:

(a) The plate must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle, if only one plate is required.
(b) Plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle if two plates are required.
(c) The plates must be in plain view and so as to be read easily by the public.
(d) The plate must not be any plate that does not entitle the holder thereof to operate the vehicle upon the highways.
(2) A person is not in violation of this section if the person is operating a vehicle or camper under and in accordance with the requirements for any of the following:

(a) A temporary application permit issued under ORS 803.615.
(b) An agent temporary registration permit issued under ORS 803.625.
(c) Provisions established under ORS 826.007, 826.009 or 826.011 for the display of registration plates or other evidence of registration on vehicles that are proportionally registered under ORS 826.009 or 826.011.

(3) The offense described in this section, failure to display registration plates, is a Class D traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §261; 1985 c.668 §13; 1989 c.43 §28; 1995 c.383 §6]

803.545 Failure to display out-of-state plates; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of failure to display plates on an out-of-state vehicle if the person operates a vehicle that is registered in any jurisdiction other than this state and the person does not display the registration plates assigned to and furnished for the vehicle by the registering jurisdiction:

(a) For the current registration period in that jurisdiction; and
(b) Substantially as provided under ORS 803.540 for vehicles that are registered by this state.
(2) This section does not allow the display of out-of-state registration plates on a vehicle when the vehicle is required to be registered in this state by ORS 803.325.

(3) The offense described in this section, failure to display plates on an out-of-state vehicle, is a Class C traffic violation. [1983 c.338 §262; 1985 c.16 §102; 1985 c.401 §8]

803.550 Illegal alteration or display of plates; penalty. (1) A person commits the offense of illegal alteration or illegal display of a registration plate if the person knowingly does any of the following:

(a) Illegally alters a registration plate in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section.
(b) Causes a registration plate to be illegally displayed as described in subsection (3) of this section.
(c) Operates any vehicle that is displaying a registration plate that is illegally altered in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section or that is illegally displayed as described in subsection (3) of this section.

(d) Owns and causes or permits a vehicle to display a registration plate that is illegally altered in a manner described in subsection (2) of this section or that is illegally displayed as described in subsection (3) of this section.

(2) A registration plate is illegally altered for purposes of this section if the plate has been altered, modified, covered or obscured in any manner including, but not limited to, the following:

(a) Any change of the color, configuration, numbers, letters or material of the plate.
(b) Any material or covering, other than a frame or plate holder, placed on, over or in front of the plate that alters the appearance of the plate.

(c) Any frame or plate holder that obscures the numbers, letters or registration stickers, so as to render them unreadable.

(3) A registration plate is illegally displayed for purposes of this section if the plate:
(a) Is displayed on a vehicle other than the vehicle for which the plate was issued; or
(b) Displays registration stickers that contain an expiration date that is different from the expiration date shown upon the vehicle registration records of the Department of Transportation.

(4) Subsection (2) of this section does not apply to the following:
(a) Any placement of registration stickers described under ORS 803.555.
(b) Any public official who displays or performs any alteration of a registration plate in the course of official duties.

(c) Any special interest registration plate approved under ORS 805.210.
(5) Subsection (3)(a) of this section does not apply to a vehicle dealer authorized to use and operate vehicles displaying the dealer’s plates under ORS 822.040.

(6) The offense described in this section, illegal alteration or illegal display of a registration plate, is a Class B traffic violation. [1985 c.243 §2; 2007 c.192 §1]

Hope that helps.

Dave Davis
AskODOT
1-888-275-6368
E-mail: AskODOT@odot.state.or.us
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just printed this out in sticker format and put it in my back window
Old 07-26-2010, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Lol nice
Old 07-27-2010, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

humm.. your right! i wonder if they still will give you crap if its in the window because "its not readily visible" or some crap

(b) Plates must be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle if two plates are required.

idk i actually got pulled over tonight for no front plate and the cop said its a 160 doller ticket and its required i dont know what the deal is! he let me off tho nice guy!

Last edited by ls1whip; 07-27-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

That law is gay! I have never had a problem with that.
Money, you get in trouble or somethin?
Old 07-27-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I put my plate in my front window it becomes a sharp flying object to delimb a passenger or myself in hard acceleration situations.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
If I put my plate in my front window it becomes a sharp flying object to delimb a passenger or myself in hard acceleration situations.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I got pulled over on my damn street. Brandon I know what your talking about..lol.. I'm going to think of something to prop it up and it stay in one place with out doing to much to the dash.

Whip!!!! This is the Oregon state law!!!! They can't just say "WELL"...This is what it is, and it says NOTHING about it how it can't be in the windshield and it says NOTHING about how it HAS to be on the bumper. That's why I said print this out and put it in your gloved box so they cant give you a ticket.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

yeah i kno thats true well yeah for sure ill print it out, problem was lol i didnt have it even in my car so he could have given me a ticket
Old 07-27-2010, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Oh damn! I wish I would of posted this two days ago that would of helped ya!.. At least he wasn't a dick about it like mine. He was a cool cop as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

I guess I don't understand the fuss. I just run my plates, and pull the front off with 3 wing nuts in about 2 seconds for show. To be honest, you could argue with the goons all ya want, but in my book, why bother. Let them pull over some fruit in a civic with no front plate instead.

Here's what I did, cost me $10 to do, just a piece of aluminum, with 3 screws in the bumper. Keeps the cops off ya, and it's stupid easy to take off in a hurry.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Well when you have a nice grill it's differnt. Plus it looks stupid with the plate on. There should be no arguing with the cops anymore
Old 07-28-2010, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

i talked to my buddy who is a beaverton cop and he said if a cop where to give me a ticket and fight alotta times its the fact that the tags or the plate isnt easily read.. so he said alotta times even tho its fine to put it in your window its the being hard to see or read i guess that the judge will favor for.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

That looks good Musicman. I was thinking about doing something similar under the bumper. Holes are hidden under the car so no visable marks. The only thing I am changing is that I am going to crease my plate to follow the body line.

Last edited by freefallen.1; 07-28-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Yep that's what I'm working on right now. Trying figure out somthing that props it up enough so you can see it with out it looking stupid on the inside and make it to where it's not blocking my view. That's cool he said it's ok to have it in the windshield.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by freefallen.1
That looks good Musicman. I was thinking about doing something similar under the bumper. Holes are hidden under the car so no visable marks. The only thing I am changing is that I am going to crease my plate to follow the body line.
I'm gonna be re-doing it when I get new plates. Gonna have it in the middle still, but lower it some, and crease it to follow the bumper. Maybe lean it back just a tad. Just want my intercooler grin to show, and keep mr. police man happy. Heck it's even going to stay on at shows, "JUSTA6" is what I want it to say, maybe "NOTAV8", still stewing on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

What I did in Idaho was put it in the window on the driver side and slide it down between the dash and windshield to cover the VIN. That will help keep it from flying off and propped up some. I also had a suction cup with a clip attatched to it (free from a car show) to support the top of the plate and it kept it flat against the windshield. They could still argue that it would be hard to see because of the slope of the 4th gen windshield.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

I hooked a chain to my front plate and wear it as a necklace...
Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

I've seen them on the sun visors also. So you fold the visor up for show, fold it down for driving.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
I hooked a chain to my front plate and wear it as a necklace...
diiiiamm son imma get you a gold grill and a bejewled pimp cup nukka rock that shyt at the car shows.. some guy comes up "is that your car"? then youd be like"whhhaaat" um sir is this your car "YEEEAHHH" "OHHHHKAYY" like lil jhon hahaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq9M8...eature=related

Quick Reply: Oregon plate law!!! Check it out...PLZ!!!